Castillo Leather Goods Quality

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I want to give a huge amount of credit to Gil Castillo and the work he is doing. I have known Gil for about 8 years or so now and seen his cases evolving the whole time.

I haven't however spent a lot of time inspecting them this whole time. Well, last night I was at the match between Earl Strickland and Shane Van Boening held at Steinway Billiards in NYC (great great great room) and I met a guy who had been interested in one of our cases. I noticed he had a new Castillo on his shoulder so I asked him if I could take a look.

This was a case like this one. Not the same as pictured but similar.

2x4-Envelope-Case-embossed-brown-bullhide.jpeg

Well, only one way to say it. This case is well done. I might change one or two small things but honestly I found much more about it that I would take for our cases first before changing anything on these. I can't speak to the rest of the cases Gil makes because I haven't looked at them super closely but my expectation would be that they are all well done with both protection, quality and ease of use in mind.

I think anyone, including me, would be well served with one of these cases. Well done Gil, well done.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Good post. I was really impressed by what you said. It's good to see someone helping out a competitor rather than tearing them down.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a Castillo case myself. I traded it for a "vintage" tube case....but not because there was anything wrong with the Castillo, I just have a thing for the old tube cases.

He makes great cases, flat out.

I have to comment that the leathers he uses are positively luxurious as far as the ones I have seen, and the workmanship is superb. I have suggested more than several times that people check them out.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
Not only a SUPERB quality case, but a SUPERB quality guy as well. The materials Gil uses are TOP notch, and his craftsmanship is on the same par. I wouldn't hesitate buying anything from Mr. Castillo. *well except for that green leather wrap - Gil knows what I mean; I think it would look fantastic, but would draw even more attn. to my cue :eek: * That said, I'll probably buy it from Gil anyways....lol :cool:

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I highly recommend Gil Castillo Cases. I own a 4x6 show stopper and love it. What i love best is his willingness to try new things. He made backpack straps when other case makers abandoned them. New handle options including top handle. New tops on his 3x6 hard cases.

John is absolutely right!

KD
Mike Wilson

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

CastilloLeatherGoods

Artisan Crafted Leather
Silver Member
I want to give a huge amount of credit to Gil Castillo and the work he is doing. I have known Gil for about 8 years or so now and seen his cases evolving the whole time.

I haven't however spent a lot of time inspecting them this whole time. Well, last night I was at the match between Earl Strickland and Shane Van Boening held at Steinway Billiards in NYC (great great great room) and I met a guy who had been interested in one of our cases. I noticed he had a new Castillo on his shoulder so I asked him if I could take a look.

This was a case like this one. Not the same as pictured but similar.

2x4-Envelope-Case-embossed-brown-bullhide.jpeg

Well, only one way to say it. This case is well done. I might change one or two small things but honestly I found much more about it that I would take for our cases first before changing anything on these. I can't speak to the rest of the cases Gil makes because I haven't looked at them super closely but my expectation would be that they are all well done with both protection, quality and ease of use in mind.

I think anyone, including me, would be well served with one of these cases. Well done Gil, well done.

I had no idea about this thread until someone at the pool hall I frequent told me about it and told me that John Barton from JB Cases had started it............and to be honest the first thing that came to mind was "Oh Brother, Now What?"

Like John said, we have known each other for about 8 years starting from my very first show in St. Charles, Illinois where he actually purchased a couple of my soft 2x4 cases with a 9-Ball Rack Pyrographed on them and I told him that I would have to give him back his money because my artist burned the 9-Ball Rack onto the case and the 9 wasn't in the correct place in the rack.
John quickly turned to me and said "Hell No, Now I want them even more just in case your cases become very popular one day".(Remember that John)

Well I have to say that I am very flattered that a great cue case maker like John would inspect and give praise to my cases the way he did.
I've always admired many of the cue cases out there today, especially some of John's designs.

In closing I want to say a BIG THANK YOU to John Barton for his positive comments and it was good talking with you at the Expo..........Oh yeah, do you want to sell me back those soft cases lol.

The case that John is referring to is similar to the one all the way to the left except that it didn't have the custom names on it like this one.
It's made of a Brown Nappa Leather with Genuine Brown Bullhide pockets, flap lid, and shoulder strap.
The case pictured here is actually John Hennessee's case.

TORO series cases.jpg

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
You're welcome Gil. You know I don't hold back on either criticism or praise when I choose to review something publicly. Your cases were always good even from the beginning. A little rough around the edges as most of our early work is. But now, it's tight.

The other day I was asked whose case I would carry if I didn't make cases and I would be proud and happy to carry yours. It does everything I could ask from a case. Protects well, easy to use, comfortable to carry.

CastilloLeatherGoods

Artisan Crafted Leather
Silver Member
You're welcome Gil. You know I don't hold back on either criticism or praise when I choose to review something publicly. Your cases were always good even from the beginning. A little rough around the edges as most of our early work is. But now, it's tight.

The other day I was asked whose case I would carry if I didn't make cases and I would be proud and happy to carry yours. It does everything I could ask from a case. Protects well, easy to use, comfortable to carry.

And I would be happy to carry yours as well, your cases have always been my style of case.
There are some very nice cases out there like Justis, Whitten, etc. etc. but not all styles are for all people and I could always see myself carrying one of yours, so if you'd ever like to make a trade I would be happy to send you one of my cases.

See you next year.

know it all

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jb case

John you offered his money back in full and or to fix it and replace it.
Do a video how many fingers am I holding up. Hold up two and he answers 2 you tell him he passed the hearing ,eye and speech test! What next ?
Rich aka the skunk! Peace brother john.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John you offered his money back in full and or to fix it and replace it.
Do a video how many fingers am I holding up. Hold up two and he answers 2 you tell him he passed the hearing ,eye and speech test! What next ?
Rich aka the skunk! Peace brother john.
SIX years after the fact????

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bought this 1x1 from Gil many years ago, has a million miles on it and always gets a lot of looks. Got my JB in the background for when I need extra hardware.

4E49480D-090B-40F2-89C3-532716020D31.jpeg

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Castillo cases are top notch!

JB I really respect you for stepping up and saying this!

Both you are “Fatboy Approved”

Best of luck to both!

Fatboy!

It’s nice to see the people in pool day something nice for a change. We need to build each other up-not break each other down!! We all share. The same passion/disease. :)

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have referred several people to Gil and they all ordered cases.
He made me a 6x12 Lizard Leather case yrs ago that still gets compliments.
The only thing I would observe about mine is the brass could be more sturdy.
I’ve had to replace some swivels but as far as leather craftsmanship, it’s superb.

Matt B.