Best Dive Bar in AK

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Best Dive Bar in AR

Saw this in national news.....

Arkansas: Midtown Billiards
> City: Little Rock

Yelp comments include "Worse bar I've ever been to," "[D]on't think you'll leave without a layer of grease on your clothes," and "[Y]ou get hassled at the door, insulted by the staff, and hustled by the low rent meth head...who camp out on the only two...pool tables." In other words, it's the perfect dive bar. And on the plus side, other Yelpers do say things like "Fantastic place," "a delicious burger and staff," and "This is as real as it gets."

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yelp comments include "Worse bar I've ever been to," "[D]on't think you'll leave without a layer of grease on your clothes," and "[Y]ou get hassled at the door, insulted by the staff, and hustled by the low rent meth head...who camp out on the only two...pool tables." In other words, it's the perfect dive bar. And on the plus side, other Yelpers do say things like "Fantastic place," "a delicious burger and staff," and "This is as real as it gets."
Been there forever. Only been there once and i loved it. The pinnacle of "diviness". https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...hUKEwiGwpu6ouDlAhXUvJ4KHbKbCC8QoiowCnoECA0QBg

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I don’t drink much...but your post makes me want to visit....:)

Like Fatty said “I’ve played in places where you had to import your own fresh air.”

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's AR

Ya had me going, I thought you were talking about Alaska, which is AK and Arkansas is AR, just saying.

If it was Alaska you would have so many places to choose from....

Like the song says, "I love this bar, it's my kinda place'.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ya had me going, I thought you were talking about Alaska, which is AK and Arkansas is AR, just saying.

If it was Alaska you would have so many places to choose from....

Like the song says, "I love this bar, it's my kinda place'.

Yeah exactly what I thought...do they even have dive bars up there? Lol

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
yep, been there once, on a Saturday night.
It's close and personal with the live music while shooting pool on 2 - 7'rs.
Standing room only,
they'll clear a spot for you when you're ready to get down
on your shot, spectators are closer to the table than you are.

lots of mingling, negotiating to get to your next shot...

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah exactly what I thought...do they even have dive bars up there? Lol

You sir have never been. Up there, they are just called bars though. :thumbup:

This was from a league night several years back in Anchorage. Three of us were having to explain to our fourth what twerking was.

And know, this wasnt a dance club. The shoe show bar was later in the season. :thumbup:

49045753017_0fe819bb8c_z.jpg

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Legendar dives.

"Back in the day", during the hey day of the Alaska Pipeline construction, money was every where. In down town Anchorage there were two bars on 4th and C Street. One was called the Hunter Bar and I believe the other was the Sourdough Bar.

They would close down at 7:00 AM to sweep the floors and open up again at 8:00 AM. The drunks would stand on the corner and wait an hour for the doors to open again. One time they found a dead guy under a table and more then once a corpse in the alley behind the bars.

The cops and the patty wagon would park in front of the bars and wait for the fight call. The local name for those bars was "Sodom and Gamora".

Kenai had the legendary dive called "Kenai Joes". Some lawyer bought it and is trying to turn into a respectable place. LOL

I have never been much of a bar person. When we did a 22 state drive around in 2015 we saw many dives in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Missouri, they looked good in my rear view mirror.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For many years I fished up in Sitka for a week in the summer, up until a couple of years ago when we switched to the Orca Lodge in BC. The overall experience is better in BC but I miss the bars in Sitka. We went to the same two or three every time so I can only speak of those but they were a blast. They had bar boxes, darts and one had that shuffleboard game. The sad thing is the native population has a huge problem with alcoholism. On one trip we went out to dinner on the last day and when our native taxi driver picked us up to go home around 11:00 pm I noticed he had a huge mug filled up. I assumed it was coffee or something. I woke up early the next morning before anyone else and called a cab to grab some breakfast. I got the same driver and he was wasted. I mean really wasted. The mug was straight bourbon. He told me he did that every night and was surprised I cared. Crazy

Island Drive

Silver Member
"Back in the day", during the hey day of the Alaska Pipeline construction, money was every where. In down town Anchorage there were two bars on 4th and C Street. One was called the Hunter Bar and I believe the other was the Sourdough Bar.

They would close down at 7:00 AM to sweep the floors and open up again at 8:00 AM. The drunks would stand on the corner and wait an hour for the doors to open again. One time they found a dead guy under a table and more then once a corpse in the alley behind the bars.

The cops and the patty wagon would park in front of the bars and wait for the fight call. The local name for those bars was "Sodom and Gamora".

Kenai had the legendary dive called "Kenai Joes". Some lawyer bought it and is trying to turn into a respectable place. LOL

I have never been much of a bar person. When we did a 22 state drive around in 2015 we saw many dives in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Missouri, they looked good in my rear view mirror.

Your brought back a memory. I was living with a woman, mother of two daughters, in the Early 70's Colorado Springs. She heard about the MONEY that could be made in Alaska, hooking (she never was a hooker but $$$$, being a single mother raising two girls, waiting tables) and of course me playing pool. Well, the way I was raised, that behavior/thinking was a deal breaker.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your brought back a memory. I was living with a woman, mother of two daughters, in the Early 70's Colorado Springs. She heard about the MONEY that could be made in Alaska, hooking (she never was a hooker but $$$$, being a single mother raising two girls, waiting tables) and of course me playing pool. Well, the way I was raised, that behavior/thinking was a deal breaker.

At times the male population outnumbered the females 3-1, 4-1 etc.

My wife was living in Homer in the mid 70s when the pipeline/slope money was rolling around. At the bars, the women all had 6-7 drinks in front of them, from guys buying them drinks with hopes of reciprocation. Then there were lines of coke that ran all the way up and down the bar. Crazy times.

In Anchorage, thats when Robert Hansen, 'The Butcher Baker', was running amok killing hookers. If youre into serial killers, look him up. He had quite a story.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At times the male population outnumbered the females 3-1, 4-1 etc.

My wife was living in Homer in the mid 70s when the pipeline/slope money was rolling around. At the bars, the women all had 6-7 drinks in front of them, from guys buying them drinks with hopes of reciprocation. Then there were lines of coke that ran all the way up and down the bar. Crazy times.

In Anchorage, thats when Robert Hansen, 'The Butcher Baker', was running amok killing hookers. If youre into serial killers, look him up. He had quite a story.
Pretty decent movie about Hansen, "The Frozen Ground" with Nicholas Cage. He plays the cop who finally got the guy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Frozen_Ground

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty decent movie about Hansen, "The Frozen Ground" with Nicholas Cage. He plays the cop who finally got the guy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Frozen_Ground

I had a buddy who used to fry donuts for Hansen, said nobody suspected anything. He had a shitload of people fooled, including his policeman regulars.

Alaska has always had its share of killers.

There is one operating up there currently, who likes to dump a torso on Turnagain arm every so many years. Will be interesting if they ever catch that one.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a buddy who used to fry donuts for Hansen, said nobody suspected anything. He had a shitload of people fooled, including his policeman regulars.

Alaska has always had its share of killers.

There is one operating up there currently, who likes to dump a torso on Turnagain arm every so many years. Will be interesting if they ever catch that one.
A buddy used to be FBI before going into private security. He always said if you want to disappear into the woodwork that Alaska is the place. So damn big its impossible to search it .

Island Drive

Silver Member
I was working the bar at Phantom Canyon Brewing Company in downtown Colorado Springs I opened that pool room, another Hickenlooper brew pub billiard room like his flagship in Denver.

A young college woman from AK, not Arkansas :thumbup: got hired on as a server.
One day we were talkin' and she told me something funny. I've been around, had 14 yrs of bartending experience in 5 different states during my youth. If I like a town, I would stay/work/play/gamble then move on a few months later, early 70's.
She told me...............
If a guy got toooooooo drunk to drive home and was passed out, she's seen friends take a 16 penny nail, and since the floors were wood, nail his shoe/booth sole to the floor. lol :grin: