League - Good Sportsmanship

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
Since everyone talks about leagues and bad sportsmanship, I thought I would relate a match I had tonight where my opponent exhibited great sportmanship. And believe it or not, it was in the APA. Although I will admit it was Masters, which I generally find to be much better than ordinary APA 23 rule.

The situation was this; I had just won the last rack and was getting ready to break. My opponent stepped away from the rack and I broke my normal way. There was a thud and 4 or 5 balls left the rack and hit a rail (a legal break by APA rules).

My opponent stepped forward and asked if I wanted a re-rack. I told him I thought I hit it pretty solid and that something must have moved after he set the rack. However, I said that it was a legal break so it was up to him.

He said, don't worry about it, something must have moved and I will re-rack.

He did, and I broke again.

I thought this was an outstanding example of good sportmanship. He was not obligated to re-rack but he did anyway.

Personally, I have done this a few times in tournaments because I really don't want someone to think I "racked them". Each time I have done it (3 times so far), they broke and ran the next rack.

Unfortunately, I did not do the same...lol.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good sportsmanship maybe, but is it even legal to do that?

Can you just rerack the balls whenever you want after a legal break?

Yes, its called an agreement between two gentlemen. You can do this as long as some a$$ isn't constantly trying to interject his useless opinions about everything.

Reactions: JDB

LeagueGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since everyone talks about leagues and bad sportsmanship, I thought I would relate a match I had tonight where my opponent exhibited great sportmanship. And believe it or not, it was in the APA. Although I will admit it was Masters, which I generally find to be much better than ordinary APA 23 rule.

The situation was this; I had just won the last rack and was getting ready to break. My opponent stepped away from the rack and I broke my normal way. There was a thud and 4 or 5 balls left the rack and hit a rail (a legal break by APA rules).

My opponent stepped forward and asked if I wanted a re-rack. I told him I thought I hit it pretty solid and that something must have moved after he set the rack. However, I said that it was a legal break so it was up to him.

He said, don't worry about it, something must have moved and I will re-rack.

He did, and I broke again.

I thought this was an outstanding example of good sportmanship. He was not obligated to re-rack but he did anyway.

Personally, I have done this a few times in tournaments because I really don't want someone to think I "racked them". Each time I have done it (3 times so far), they broke and ran the next rack.

Unfortunately, I did not do the same...lol.

I have done that many times myself in league, tournamments or even when playing for small sets (I don't play big sets).
I would rather lose then have someone think that I loose racked them to gain an edge.

Leagueguy.