Does anyone play '99'?

DeaconBlooze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We used to play this game in my college league. I stumbled onto it a couple of years before that. I thought it was a great way to gauge your progress, and made it very easy to handicap.

I've been playing 14.1 almost exclusively, but played a game of 99 last night on a whim. Does anyone still play this game?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Never heard of 99 in my 60+ years playing in bars, poolrooms, private clubs, and houses. Maybe a game someone at that college made up while there. Johnnyt

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't heard of 99 either. Post some rules or how to play; it might be called 64 or 37 or even Bang Pow Ramshot Challenge in other parts or the country.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I might have played it in college too, but my memory of it is very vague.

Did it have something to do with taking a shot of whiskey after every ball you pocketed?

I can't remember. :D

DeaconBlooze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suppose it might have been a regional thing. I found a score card and thorough rules here:

http://www.poolmag.com/Play99.cfm

Basically, it's like combining bowling and 9-ball. The object is to score as many points as you can in each "round", up to a maximum of 11 (1 point for each ball, and 2 points for making a ball on the break without penalty). Sinking the 9 ball is an automatic 9 points in the round. There are a total of 9 rounds. A perfect game would net you a score of 99 (hence the clever name).

The gameplay is simple, you rack just like you would for 9 ball. You break, and then take ball in hand after the break. Your round ends with your first miss.

A fun game, and like I mentioned, it helps to give you an idea of how well you're playing. Sometimes I play it just to make sure I'm still bad.