Would you be willing to dress nice to raise the opinion of billiards?

atheistpally

Registered
I would, but not sure if it would help much. I think the silver bullet that fixes pool is still a mystery.

I don't think it is much of a mystery at all, actually. I think the key is to get casual and recreational players to genuinely *like* the game more, and that depends heavily on the attitudes and actions of those already passionate about playing.

The reason pool is struggling has nothing to do with clothes, and everything to do with intimidation and harassment factors.

Playing someone below your skill level should always be about teaching and having fun and never about competition. Women are especially hesitant to step up to a pool table because the sport has always been dominated by men, and the atmosphere of most bars and pool halls is often a bit testosterone-heavy, which is hardly conducive to a relaxed, friendly and respectful environment. Incidents of physical harassment, sexist comments, staring at and patronizing women who express an interest in playing happen constantly, and that's not acceptable.

In the so-called "golden days" of pool, that kind of stuff was even more commonplace, it's just that back then no one gave a s*** about being nice and recruiting new players. And therein lies the difference. People today are just turned off by the chauvinistic, simple-minded or elitist attitudes of many pool players and therefore choose not to get involved. The vibe you give off to those who are watching will go a long way in bringing new life to pool.

You could argue (and I would) that almost every sport suffers from a lack of truly likable athletes (air-headed jocks are omnipresent), but with pool being played primarily in bars amongst the public, the personalities of those athletes become known and experienced from direct interaction -- they don't remain a mystery from way up in the bleachers or only observed from shallow interviews through a TV screen.

Having a conversation about what makes cue sports so interesting and unique is often a good place to start with a newcomer, but it's also helpful when pool, beer, chicks and cars aren't the only things you can talk about. I'm sorry, but that's the impression that 90% of pool players leave on those who observe. If pool is to thrive and be taken seriously, then people need to have a reason to abandon the "ignorant redneck/biker/hustler dude" stereotype that dominates their impression of it.

Last edited:

Thomas McKane

Lifelong student of one p
Silver Member
Pool is no less boring than many things on tv, which is mostly a matter of presentation, production, and personal opinion. Either way, we don't make the rules of society. They do. Dress like a beach bum and I promise that most people will think you are. Ask matchroom if you can wear shorts and flip flops and listen for the laughter.

Well said, and right on.

Tobermory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am looking at the picture called “A Dull Day,” the first in the series posted by Thomas McKane All the people who said that everyone dressed this way in the old days because everyone just dressed this way in the old days are completely correct.

Obviously you guys have no idea how to read people who are wearing coats and ties. Let me help you around a bit of the room, starting from the left hand side of the inner circle. The dark-haired kid in what looks like a sweater is a bellboy or a receptionist in a cheap hotel. I can’t make out enough of the second guy from the left to have an opinion. The third guy from the left may be the only successful person in the room. The person to his left is a bum. The short guy in the trench coat with the black collar is a goniff, pure and simple, well, a goniff in training. He is probably apprenticed to the other goniff, the tall guy who is standing at the table with a cue in his hand. Between the two of them, don’t walk down any alleys in the neighborhood. Towards the back, there is a man in a stark white shirt with his tie pulled down. He is bad news also. The two other goniffs are probably paying a commission to him on whatever they make from extortion. Starting from the right, the man with the pipe in his mouth I at first thought might be okay, but then I saw the shoes. Always look at the shoes. He’s broke. The guy to his right with the bowler and the bow tie is at best a tout.

Far from being a picture of respectability, this photo is what I suspect counted as a really rough joint in 1913.

Is that a HARVARD pennant hanging in the back!

I dress well because I like to, and I was brought up that way. I may not wear a suit and a tie, but I am well dressed. My shirt is tucked in. It has a collar, and sleeves. My shoes are shined. They are the kind you CAN shine. My hair is trimmed. My shirt and my slacks, not jeans, look as if I may at some time in my life have seen a color wheel. I do not wear a hat (or cap) indoors. If I wear one outside, it is not a baseball cap and it goes with my jacket.

The shoes! Always look at the shoes!

Last edited:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I went to a woman's sand volley ball game once in the LA area. They were wearing bikini's..... I left immediately, because of the complete lack of respect they had for this great game. I was quite disgusted by the amount of skin I saw, and how fit and tan the ladies were. OK, I didn't leave, we all know that ;)

I remember back in the 80s when skateboarding was just something people did for fun and a few people did demos and competed to make a bit of money. Then they started wearing vests and dress shoes and the sport exploded. #successstory

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I remember back in the 80s when skateboarding was just something people did for fun and a few people did demos and competed to make a bit of money. Then they started wearing vests and dress shoes and the sport exploded. #successstory

Yep, same with the X games. Most of them are high on weed, wearing bandana's, or have long scraggly hair, and have not shaved their peach fuzz off for months ;)

If people like it, they will come. That's the bottom line.

I interviewed a guy once, and specifically told him it was casual Friday, so please, don't wear a suit. I wanted to kinda of see this guy blend in on casual day, get a feel for him. Plus, if we are all wearing jeans and a polo, he might feel a bit over dressed....

Well, he shows up in a 3 piece suit. Simple directions, and he could not follow them. Sorry, it cost him the job.

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would you wear a dress shirt and slacks to play a sport? Why does that not sound completely ridiculous to you?

Maybe he meant golf slacks and golf shirt?
Just watched some of the first round of the masters, and the attire looks comfortable and dressed up, but still athletic.

Lately, the mosconi cup uniforms have taken a golf look.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am looking at the picture called “A Dull Day,” the first in the series posted by Thomas McKane All the people who said that everyone dressed this way in the old days because everyone just dressed this way in the old days are completely correct.

Obviously you guys have no idea how to read people who are wearing coats and ties. Let me help you around a bit of the room, starting from the left hand side of the inner circle. The dark-haired kid in what looks like a sweater is a bellboy or a receptionist in a cheap hotel. I can’t make out enough of the second guy from the left to have an opinion. The third guy from the left may be the only successful person in the room. The person to his left is a bum. The short guy in the trench coat with the black collar is a goniff, pure and simple, well, a goniff in training. He is probably apprenticed to the other goniff, the tall guy who is standing at the table with a cue in his hand. Between the two of them, don’t walk down any alleys in the neighborhood. Towards the back, there is a man in a stark white shirt with his tie pulled down. He is bad news also. The two other goniffs are probably paying a commission to him on whatever they make from extortion. Starting from the right, the man with the pipe in his mouth I at first thought might be okay, but then I saw the shoes. Always look at the shoes. He’s broke. The guy to his right with the bowler and the bow tie is at best a tout.

Far from being a picture of respectability, this photo is what I suspect counted as a really rough joint in 1913.

Is that a HARVARD pennant hanging in the back!

The shoes! Always look at the shoes!

No offense, but you're a little off with the presumptions.