BCA Rules question for 8 Ball

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
After the break on an open table can I shoot a solid or striped ball in a pocket and call safe at the same time. Thus turning over the table to incoming player and he/she has the opposite balls that I shot into the pocket?

I was always under the impression that this was not a legal shot to call.

Who has the correct answer and documentation to proof it?

Thanks

Kevin

IUTrader

Registered
You can shoot it, but the table remains open, as you have not pocketed a ball in a called pocket (since you declared safety). Rule #2, and rule #10: https://www.billiards.com/article/official-bca-8-ball-rules

Or even more explicitly, in the CSI / BCAPL 8 Ball rulebook, page 44: 1. Groups are established when the first object ball is legally pocketed on a shot after the
break. The player legally pocketing the first ball is assigned that group, and the opponent
is assigned the other group. You cannot establish a group on a safety. (AR p. 102)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
After the break on an open table can I shoot a solid or striped ball in a pocket and call safe at the same time. Thus turning over the table to incoming player and he/she has the opposite balls that I shot into the pocket?

I was always under the impression that this was not a legal shot to call.

Who has the correct answer and documentation to proof it?

Thanks

Kevin
The CSI/BCAPL rules are available for free on-line here:

http://www.playcsipool.com/bcapl-rules.html

Here is the applicable rule:

2-6 Establishing Groups
1. Groups are established when the first object ball is legally pocketed on a shot after the break. The player legally pocketing the first ball is assigned that group, and the opponent is assigned the other group. You cannot establish a group on a safety. (AR p. 102)
The "AR" at the end means that there is an explanation of how the rule is applied later on in the rules (page 102) and you should also check that out.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Thanks guys really appreciate the help. I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to get me the correct info I need. I really do love this site.

Kevin