I am curious to see how people respond to this.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
When you break the rules in pool or any sport and continue to compete undetected,
then you're a immoral individual because cheating at "anything" is absolutely wrong,

That’s another problem with organized competitive pool.....dumpers,cheats,thieves etc get the indifferent pass in direct correlation to their playing prowess.

Majority don’t want to talk about it or ever mention names lol. When you do the shills come alive with the sound of nittery.

Oh he cheated or dumped? But he’s a legend so meh.

Oh this ones a known thief? Ohhh but he gives me free shit.

We put way too much focus on talk of earls attitude when we should be talking about the underhanded crap some of these guys did and still are doing! Why? Because we shouldn’t idolize trash because they can pocket a ball real good.

We give ourselves and many of our peers passes because we foolishly think we need them since the games not on Monday night 🤣.

Monday ain’t ever coming supporting that as such.

By and by I don’t think respect is something you can earn on a pool table.

-greyghost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
A great argument against " The Good Foul" or "Intentional Foul"

Doing some research about the topic I came across some information that supports my views:

"A pioneer in the field of Sport Ethics, Warren Fraleigh wrote an article in 1982 entitled “Why The Good Foul Is Not Good” which specifically condemns the “good fouls” often made at the end of basketball games, though applies to all actions in sport in which one intentionally breaks a rule knowing they’ll get the requisite punishment for strategic reasons."

Here is a great podcast discussing the "Good Foul"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDzSOV620xc

Trent from Toledo

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A question that should not involve debate or quarrel is abiding by the rules.
However, in some sports, the rules distinguish the degree of the rules violation.
That usually pertains to team sports endeavors like the NFL, NBA, MLB, PGA, etc.

In head to head competition, it seems much more clear to my way of thinking.
If the rules specifically prohibit things like touch fouls, unsportsmanship, etc.,
and a player knowingly & intentionally violates a rule, the perp is downright guilty.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Like it or not--------in most handicap leagues, the best cheaters win most of the money at National events.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
You guys should not encourage him.. He thinks committing a foul "on purpose", such as rolling a ball into a cluster in 9 ball when you can't hit the lowest numbered ball, is "cheating".

He is being intentionally vague with his question in order to get people to agree with him.

He's either an idiot, or a troll.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys should not encourage him.. He thinks committing a foul "on purpose", such as rolling a ball into a cluster in 9 ball when you can't hit the lowest numbered ball, is "cheating".

He is being intentionally vague with his question in order to get people to agree with him.

If you don't roll a ball, like you mentioned, when you don't have a shot, you have never gambled playing pool.

The same goes for intentional fouls in one-pocket.

Pool has become a joke.

As far as 9-ball goes, it is no longer a game with the one-foul BIH rule.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member

You can just back off dude. You at any point can stop putting words in my mouth and cals calling me names. You do not have to participate in the conversation if you cant act like an adult.
This is when moderation should intervene, name calling and disrespecting someone for their opinion and fabricating reasons for posting is not called for.

Take your bad attitude somewhere else.

Trent from Toledo

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Intentional foul doesn't result in forfeiting the game therefore it is not cheating. Cheating isn't in the rules that I know of. Unsportsmanlike conduct probably equals "cheating".

Having said that in a bar you never know what the "rules" are going to be for sure unless you know the person you are playing. In some cases if you play safe you'd better make it look like you were trying to make the ball especially if you are an outsider.

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
You can just back off dude. You at any point can stop putting words in my mouth and cals calling me names. You do not have to participate in the conversation if you cant act like an adult.
This is when moderation should intervene, name calling and disrespecting someone for their opinion and fabricating reasons for posting is not called for.

Take your bad attitude somewhere else.

Trent from Toledo

Was it not your view in another thread that an intentional foul is unsportsmanslike conduct, and should result in loss of game?

If so, it's an idiotic opinion, and should be called out as such.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not here to prove a point or Argue. I just want to see how people respond to this. I am going ask a non-specific and very general question:

In playing any format of Pool: Is it cheating to intentionally break the rules?

Trent from Toledo

Yes!!!!!!!

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's an impossible question to answer without your definition of 'breaking the rules.' Give some examples of breaking the rules. For example: Is taking an intentional foul breaking the rules? Is any foul breaking the rules?

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
Yes!!!!!!!

Dead Money.. be careful.. He defines an intentional foul (such as snuggling the 2 between two balls when you can't hit the 1) as "breaking the rules.

So... I guess now intentional fouls are "cheating"?

Total barbanger talk.

gesan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Op states from the get go that he's not looking to argue, just curious to see how many respond - as near as I can tell (though clearly there has been some obfuscation) he didn't force anyone to read his post,much less to respond to it.

The pool format that im fairly certain sparked this debate is the pool game with 1 rule only.

You must not get caught playing it!

If anyone knows you are playing you have exposed yourself! Thereby you are identified immediately as a LOSER!

By far the most popular of all games in the aforementioned formatt.

At least in terms of how many have played it at 1 time or another.

There in lies the problem,the solution,the question,the answer and the dilemma!

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dead Money.. be careful.. He defines an intentional foul (such as snuggling the 2 between two balls when you can't hit the 1) as "breaking the rules.

So... I guess now intentional fouls are "cheating"?

Total barbanger talk.

No need. I was responding to his specific post to start this thread. What ever thoughts he has outside this thread has no bearing on it.

Now with this new piece of info as to intentional fouls being cheating.....

The court of one that is Dead Money says an intentional foul may violate the "spirit" of the rules but not the actual written rules of the game. Intentional fouls are a strategic decision that could backfire on you. Perfectly legit. Done it myself. I have also regretted it a few times when an opponent pulled an amazing shot out of their ass or got lucky!:grin:

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, of course.

Well, now that I've read the thread :)... specifically speaking, in the various games of pool, intentionally fouling and thus "breaking a rule" is accepted as strategy because it takes skill and experience to first know when to do it (IOW, knowing when the resultant penalty is worth it in order to win), and then in many cases, to execute the deliberate foul successfully. It's more akin to a push out than a rule violation that is unsportsmanlike and "cheating". But that's obvious, isn't it?

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
..."breaking a rule" is accepted as strategy because it takes skill and experience to first know when to do it (IOW, knowing when the resultant penalty is worth it in order to win), and then in many cases, to execute the deliberate foul successfully....

For a brief moment, I thought I was in an NFL forum reading a debate about the Patriots...

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not here to prove a point or Argue. I just want to see how people respond to this. I am going ask a non-specific and very general question:

In playing any format of Pool: Is it cheating to intentionally break the rules?

Trent from Toledo

It depends.