Question for dealers

magnetardo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
This may belong in the general forum but I thought I would try it here first.
I'm really looking for dealers opinions but all are welcome to reply.

My question is what value if any does a cues provenance come to play in it's value.

Let's say you have a well known and respected cuemaker with a long waiting list something along the lines of a SW or a Hercek. If the cue was originally made for a pro player does this make the cue more valuable?
And lastly, if it does make it more valuable does it depend on the player?

Take for an example a mint 6 point SW (hypothetical) that everyone agrees is worth around $2,300 what would it be worth if it was originally made for an Efren or Earl? What about an up and coming player like a James Baraks? Or someone in between like a Harriman or Feijen? Thanks for any help wit this.

JP

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
256   0   0
IMO it does add some to the value to the cue, but it's always best to have documentation. Let's face it, it's not much for a pro player to get a cue(s) as 'sponsorship' by cuemakers...some of these with the intent of them being resold. Those don't add a whole lot IMO, but perhaps some, especially if it's a cuemaker who's currently in high demand.

If it is a cue however that a pro player played with (that's verifiable or documentable), the bigger the name, the more $$ it might add to the value. Obviously cues that were made for or played by the LEGENDS of the game would command the biggest $$, vs the current players or up-and-coming players.

There's no real guide that drives whatever added value it might have....lot of it depends on the looks of the cue, maker, condition, etc., etc......and just as anything else on the secondary market, the perceived value is determined by what something will actually sell for.

magnetardo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Thanks for the input, this is pretty much what I figured. I didn't know if it would be worth more or just help with the saleability.