RIP Executive Billiards, White Plains, NY

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
I was real sad to learn yesterday that Executive Billiards in White Plains NY has closed.
I'm not sure exactly when they closed, but it looks like it was the late Fall of 2018. Their website states they're "moving" but I've heard nothing as to where. Finding affordable rent near White Plains is hard enough, add to that task a property that's zoned for a Pool Room, forget it. From what I could put together is they were having problems making the rent. When they opened in 1991, the area had a night time population of 50K. Today White Plains has exploded and a is major suburban city with tons of restaurants & nightlife. Given their location and square footage, the rent must've strangled them.

Going by the local paper Executive had their share of legal problems with fights and serving minors. They applied for a cabaret license a few years back, allegedly to do karaoke, but the city turned them down...not a good sign. I had heard some unconfirmed rumors of even more disturbing stuff...basically the stereotypical stuff that gives any Pool Hall a bad name.

I managed Executive Billiards for a few years from the time they opened in 1991. It was a great place. As some of you know Joe Rogan used to hang out at Executive before he made it big. I know he's talked about it on his podcast. So sad to see such an excellent example of an upscale billiard club close. I think all that's left in suburban NY, this side of the Hudson, is Cafe Billiards on Tuckahoe Rd in Yonkers and Jack & Jill Q Lounge in Brewster

If anyone has any additional info, please share it. . -Z-

993768_530296063697782_1207471454_n_jmcb3d

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been trying to keep up with what they are planning on doing but it seems that they have given up. I never played there but know of many people who have and they either liked it or hated it. Recently during the mid 2010s the place basically turned into more of a lounge/bar than an actual pool hall.

And yes, the rent there is insane. It is what is putting doubt in me on opening a hall in the central avenue section. the money being asked is crazy and unreasonable.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Central Ave? Yes, the rent on any suitable property from Yonkers to White Plains I can well imagine would be cost prohibitive...even with alcohol. Former Executive denizen "George The Greek" (RIP), opened a room on Central Avenue in White Plains...High Pockets I think it was called. It was beautiful room. Had every player amenity you could think of, but he eventually had to close it.

One of the former owners of Executive, Guy Hamilton, aka Guy Azzariti (RIP), was always trying to open a 2nd room in Portchester, NY. The downtown area there is vibrant and the rents might be right. I have always heard that City Hall in Portchester knows how to work with entrepreneurs & small business. -Z-

Last edited:

Nick8400

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played a bit out of here when I was living in White Plains. 2006-2008. Can’t say it was my favorite place. But I always got action when I went. They ate me alive. ��

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Central Ave? Yes, the rent on any suitable property from Yonkers to White Plains I can well imagine would be cost prohibitive...even with alcohol. Former Executive denizen "George The Greek" (RIP), opened a room on Central Avenue in White Plains...High Pockets I think it was called. It was beautiful room. Had every player amenity you could think of, but he eventually had to close it.

One of the former owners of Executive, Guy Hamilton, aka Guy Azzariti (RIP), was always trying to open a 2nd room in Portchester, NY. The downtown area there is vibrant and the rents might be right. I have always heard that City Hall in Portchester knows how to work with entrepreneurs & small business. -Z-

Never really considered Portchester, but now I may have to. Thanks for letting me know about the town as I have two coworkers who live there. They say the night scene is growing due to more people from Stamford, Bridgeport and Stratford making the trip over instead of NYC. It's a good idea and one I will be looking more into.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know about Café Billiards, but Jack & Jills in Brewster is a dump. Equipment is in poor condition, and nobody cares. I've been in there twice, and see no reason to go back.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I think all that's left in suburban NY, this side of the Hudson, is Cafe Billiards on Tuckahoe Rd in Yonkers and Jack & Jills Q Lounge in Brewster

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know about Café Billiards, but Jack & Jills in Brewster is a dump. Equipment is in poor condition, and nobody cares. I've been in there twice, and see no reason to go back.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I havent been to J N J in 5 years or so but it was never considered a dump. It was old, yes but it was a player's room for many years and very clean The owner probably eeked out a 30K/yr living until he decided to annex the drugstore next door and turn it into a 'nice restaurant' for the long time middle class folks in town. He hired an upscale chef and the people stayed away in droves. He was gong broke,

Before too long, he had to fire the chef and bring in a Spanish fella who added quite a bit of Spanish food to the menu. The place TOOK OFF-Just the restaurant part had 6 employees at one time and was churning out cases and cases of Corona's every night. All the latino customers lived in town and didnt drive so they could get hammered with impunity.The place and the owner did VERY WELL for at least 6 years and did just 'well' after that. Like i said i havent been there in years and perhaps things have changed, All the above is just my assessment from an outside view. I never worked there or had any specific inside info.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this thread is very old, but I think the people who used to own Executive Billiards finally opened up their new hall and it seems very modern and nice. Looks like it opened about a week and a half ago and the reviews are very very favorable.

https://hardluckpoolhall.com/

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Where is this poolhall?
The website does not say

197 E Post rd 10601

The web guy must’ve been drinking
Forgot to mention that it’s still a White Plains address....and I’m not even drinking..
...New York Toby was living there when I first met him.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
197 E Post rd 10601

Forgot to mention that it’s still a White Plains address....and I’m not even drinking..
Google street view shows a bunch of closed/boarded up businesses in that block. I imagine they got a good lease.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
197 E Post rd 10601

Toby? Living there? I missed the first year of the joint but i never saw him in there a single day. Waterdog lived there in the basement for 6 months or so.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Toby? Living there? I missed the first year of the joint but i never saw him in there a single day. Waterdog lived there in the basement for 6 months or so.

Toby came to Toronto....mid 80s...his backers said they were all from White Plains.
......so it could’ve been their road story.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Toby came to Toronto....mid 80s...his backers said they were all from White Plains.

Well he was basically from the area (Spring Valley)-maybe 15 miles away across the Hudson but i think he was already in Fla when Executive opened in 89 or so. The backers could very well have been from White Plains or close enough to say so.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well he was basically from the area (Spring Valley)-maybe 15 miles away across the Hudson but i think he was already in Fla when Executive opened in 89 or so. The backers could very well have been from White Plains or close enough to say so.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

I'm pretty sure that Toby is living in that area now (Westchester County) and has been for several years.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I was lucky to have seem em play and gamble. Late 60's Carbondale IL, during the Jansco days.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
He is living in Rockland County just across the river maybe 5-6 years now.

I was just in that area last week visiting my 97 year old aunt who lives in Ryebrook. Now I'm mad that I didn't call Toby. We only go back about 100 years. I played him.......and lost. He beat me for $50 playing $5 9-Ball and we never played again. I got the cure the first time. :thumbup: