Entry/mid level low deflection cue

Rye_a

Registered
Does anyone have recommendations for an entry/mid level low deflection cue? I’m having my first table set up in my home early next week, hello like to have something a little nicer than the house cues it came with so I can learn to play with English, etc.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't need a low deflection shaft to
play with english. Doing drills and putting
in the work will be necessary no matter which
cue you decide on. Those house cues will do just fine.

New- cuetec is probably the best bang for
your low deflection buck.

Used- older predator cues can be had for
a good price.

Gl on whatever you decide

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last edited:

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd definitely recommend going used. There must be some sort of facebook pool group or similar for your area that you could join. Ask if anyone has a decent LD cue for sale and go from there. Wait until you have a better idea of what you like before springing for a new cue. If you don't like it, keep buying and selling until you find one that "fits".

Edit: For a new player a low deflection shaft offers little benefit while you learn fundamentals. It only really helps with shots that are long and require extreme english, this type of situation isn't really relevant to someone just learning. I'd suggest a cheaper cue with a good tip, 90% of a cue's performance comes from the tip. I'd rather play with a broomstick with a good tip glued on it than a thousand dollar cue with a flat glazed tip on it, literally.

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have recommendations for an entry/mid level low deflection cue? I’m having my first table set up in my home early next week, hello like to have something a little nicer than the house cues it came with so I can learn to play with English, etc.

Take any cheap cue and with 150 grit, redo the taper. Work vertically on the back/fat part of the shaft. Use only enough pressure to make saw dust. Keep rotating the stick until the taper approaches cylindrical. Hit balls at different stages. You may find the increased flex to your liking.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take any cheap cue and with 150 grit, redo the taper. Work vertically on the back/fat part of the shaft. Use only enough pressure to make saw dust. Keep rotating the stick until the taper approaches cylindrical. Hit balls at different stages. You may find the increased flex to your liking.

DON'T DO THIS

Wtf would you suggest this?

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're setting up a home table. Just get a few regular house cues,
unless you want to get numerous LD cues.
What are yo gonna do, use one particular LD cue then
let your guests use lesser cues?
Get some basic McDermotts or Schmelke Sneaky's then just enjoy the game.
If you feel froggy, grab a Sneaky and a piece of chalk and go to
your nearest bar and kick some ass. It's just that simple!
(you ain't a pro is ya?)

Last edited:

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

One of these is all you need. Don't worry about all the fancy stuff. I'd get the 12.5 mm shaft.
https://www.seyberts.com/players-sneaky-pete-cues

Rye_a

Registered
You're setting up a home table. Just get a few regular cues,
unless you want to get numerous LD cues.
What are yo gonna do, use one particular LD cue then
let your guests use "lessor cues?
Get some basic McDermotts or Schmelke Sneaky's then just enjoy the game.
If you feel froggy, grab a Sneaky and a piece of chalk and go to
your nearest bar and kick some ass. It's just that simple!
(you ain't a pro is ya?)

Definitely not a pro, just looking to improve my game. I think I’d just use it while practicing, then use regular house cues when I’m playing with guests.

RunEmOut08

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Definitely not a pro, just looking to improve my game. I think I’d just use it while practicing, then use regular house cues when I’m playing with guests.

Switching cues (especially from LD to non LD) can be difficult even for great players. I would recommend finding a cue that is in your price range and play with it consistently for 3-6 months. That will help establish what you might be looking for in a cue more long term.

I agree with some previous posts about OB and predator cues if you’re looking for a LD solution. Tiger also makes some reasonably priced cues.

Whatever you do, don’t take sandpaper to your cue and try to change the taper yourself!!

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DON'T DO THIS

Wtf would you suggest this?

ABSOLUTELY DO THIS if you like. It's good to learn for one. You should get "hands on" with your gear; discover what works for you. It doesn't need to be Cuetec slim although that might not be a bad idea once you got the hang of it; just enough to allow long stroking. Some degree of flex is the better part of reduced deflection.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It would probably make quicker work and you could even skip a couple stages using a sawzall. Have a friend hang the shaft off the rail and spin it like hell as you turn the shaft down with the sawzall. Definitely go with the grain of the wood.

Edit: You never know these days, so just in case, I was only joking. Don't do this. lol

Last edited:

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Don't think you ever specified a price point your be willing to spend. You did mention ld shaft but playing with that and then switching if you have company would probably suck for you. I'd say the cheapest way to go would be players cue with their hxt shafts, think they are called pure-x cues. I'll put a link at the bottom of my post. Maybe you can grab a couple for the price and your guests could use them too. Many companies offer some better cues at the mid range level but then I'd think you'd be in the $400+ range at the cheapest.

https://www.seyberts.com/pure-x-play-cues/

magnetardo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:grin:
It would probably make quicker work and you could even skip a couple stages using a sawzall. Have a friend hang the shaft off the rail and spin it like hell as you turn the shaft down with the sawzall. Definitely go with the grain of the wood.

Edit: You never know these days, so just in case, I was only joking. Don't do this. lol

LMFAO!

magnetardo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You don't need low deflection cue for english. Just get a good quality regular maple shaft just like Willie Mosconi ran 526 balls with. Deflection is a very useful part of the game, in fact there are some shots that aren't even possible with an LD shaft. If you're just a beginner, grab a cheap Schmelke or McDermott or similar, read some books, watch some videos and practice, practice, practice. Then when you're done practice some more. I highly recommend Bert Kinister's 1st video. There's a lot of excellent info in there.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hard to go with the grain on a spinning shaft. Would cause injury probably. I've re-tapered house sticks and every 2 piece I've played with. These aren't McDaniels by any stretch, just good comfortable players.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Meucci with the pro shaft. Best shaft I have ever played with. you
can go to Budget billiards and get a plain Meucci with that shaft for under $400

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Predator Roadline "Sneaky Petes". Not an "entry level", but a lifetime, cue. Classic, full splice construction. This is a cue that you can play with for a lifetime and then proudly pass to a son or grandson. MSRPs starting at $469.00, which includes a $289.00 shaft.
The only downside is that it is not Made in America, but what is these days?