One Pocket Breaks

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
I have not played a lot of one-pocket, but have played a couple of games lately.

Therefore, I was wondering what are some of the best breaks for one-pocket?

I haven't tried it yet but I am thinking a light second ball break (like 8 ball) would be a pretty good break.

I did a search for one-pocket breaks but couldn't really find much.

Your input is appreciated.

Thanks.

Donkey Puncher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without taking the time to do a Cue Table set up, just place the cue ball 2-4 balls from the side rail, use high inside English, clip as little of the head ball as possible, and try to put the cue ball one diamond from the side pocket on the side you break from.

Another one I use is old-school. I kick into the second to last ball, freezing the cue ball into the back of the stack and barely sending two balls to a rail pushing a few balls to the other side (my side).

Reactions: JDB

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
Without taking the time to do a Cue Table set up, just place the cue ball 2-4 balls from the side rail, use high inside English, clip as little of the head ball as possible, and try to put the cue ball one diamond from the side pocket on the side you break from.

Another one I use is old-school. I kick into the second to last ball, freezing the cue ball into the back of the stack and barely sending two balls to a rail pushing a few balls to the other side (my side).

Thanks; I can visualize both without the WEI cue table.

The second break is the break that the person I played used. I tried skimming the 3rd ball and leaving him behind the stack, which worked pretty well.

I am just thinking that by hitting the second ball, I can hit it a little harder and fuller and move more ball towards my pocket. However, like I said, I have not tried it yet.

Thanks for your input.

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes I use the 2nd ball if conditions are sticky. Its not as effective as a reg break but when its sticky it may pay to do so. Especially getting a tight rack & a corner ball leaks out & gives up a shot. Kick breaks are seldom effective, usually its a fairly easy escape.

Rod

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Go to youtube and search under "one pocket" You'll find plenty of opening breaks to study. The one used most often is hitting the 2nd row ball, just glancing the head ball.

If anyone can post a link to a video of the kick into the back row break, I'd appreciate it. Haven't seen that one in competition.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i think hitting the 2nd ball is NOT the best break
you MUST clip the head ball first (thinly) with inside english and as mentioned have the cue ball hit the foot rail and come up arould the 1-2 diamond from the side pocket
this break spreads the balls to your side the best and is the standard break in 1 pocket
all the other breaks are considered inferior
thats why you dont see them used in high level competition
they may have some use in certain circumstances like coming off the long rail into the side of the stack is another break that has been used

Last edited:

LSU1018

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way I have been breaking lately is about 3 balls off the rail and aiming as if I'm hitting the second ball square.. Obviously to do this you will hit the head ball but it gives you an aiming point. I use a lot of middle inside english. Your speed and everything will play a factor but you practice it for 30 minutes and you should have a good idea.

androd

androd
Silver Member
The way I have been breaking lately is about 3 balls off the rail and aiming as if I'm hitting the second ball square.. Obviously to do this you will hit the head ball but it gives you an aiming point. I use a lot of middle inside english. Your speed and everything will play a factor but you practice it for 30 minutes and you should have a good idea.

Good Job.
Rod

TimKrazyMon

Kid Delicious' Evil Twin
Silver Member
i think hitting the 2nd ball is NOT the best break
you MUST clip the head ball first (thinly) with inside english and as mentioned have the cue ball hit the foot rail and come up arould the 1-2 diamond from the side pocket
this break spreads the balls to your side the best and is the standard break in 1 pocket
all the other breaks are considered inferior
thats why you dont see them used in high level competition
they may have some use in certain circumstances like coming off the long rail into the side of the stack is another break that has been used

Nailed it!

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
I have not played a lot of one-pocket, but have played a couple of games lately.

Therefore, I was wondering what are some of the best breaks for one-pocket?

I haven't tried it yet but I am thinking a light second ball break (like 8 ball) would be a pretty good break.

I did a search for one-pocket breaks but couldn't really find much.

Your input is appreciated.

Thanks.

I created a couple of short instructional One Pocket videos (for a project that is now defunct), but the second video was all about the break.

I asked good players at the pool room for tips and advice about one pocket breaks, and the below link is the video result:

http://www.poolstudents.net/melinda1pkt.html

Hope it helps.

miscrewed1989

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simultaneous...

When I break 1 pocket, I aim to hit the head ball and second ball simultaneously at a medium speed with LOTS of inside english. This seem to push the balls to my side very well and when the cue ball hits the bottom rail it just dies and floats to a point on the siderail about halfway between 1 & 2 diamonds down from the side pocket. Also, I make a ball in my pocket probably 25% of the time, and have been able to run out from the break probably 25% of those times. It's a very aggressive break, and if I hit it just a little badly it gets me in trouble. That's why I spend about an hour a week by myself just practicing my break. Once you perfect it, it is very effective and deadly. You'll find yourself beating players who play better than you simply because you put a good break on them.
Good luck! I'm always happy to hear about more people learning to play 1-hole!