What is the best way to play a safety in this scenario?

freedog69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the cue ball is hung in the jaws of the corner pocket. The nine ball is frozen to the middle diamond at the opposite end of the table. What is the best way to play a safe? I am looking for a solution for a beginner to intermediate player as well as an A level player.

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
if you can see the full 9, an effective and doable safety would be side to side of the long rails, which means you hit the 9 so that the cue ball and the 9 go to 2 opposite long rails, leaving the bank shot no makeable direct cut

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
If it was me, I'd go for the bank or the cut. You would have to graze the ball so slightly, that a safety would be just as hard, if not harder than pocketing the ball.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If the cue ball is hung in the jaws of the corner pocket. The nine ball is frozen to the middle diamond at the opposite end of the table. What is the best way to play a safe? I am looking for a solution for a beginner to intermediate player as well as an A level player.

I like to jack up a little bit, hit t low with outside english....
....and hit it pretty hard.

You're playing the 9-ball four banks in the corner...
...and spinning the cue-ball three rails back to the end you're shooting from.

Sometimes you make the 9--ball, sometimes you get a safety....
...sometimes you sell out.

If you play a conservative safety here, you are too much of an under-dog......well, you're an under-dog no matter which way you play it.....
....so, be aggressive, and give yourself a chance at winning.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like to jack up a little bit, hit t low with outside english....
....and hit it pretty hard.

You're playing the 9-ball four banks in the corner...
...and spinning the cue-ball three rails back to the end you're shooting from.

Sometimes you make the 9--ball, sometimes you get a safety....
...sometimes you sell out.

If you play a conservative safety here, you are too much of an under-dog......well, you're an under-dog no matter which way you play it.....
....so, be aggressive, and give yourself a chance at winning.

+1

sometimes you gotta go

and having both balls traveling, crossing near mid table reminds me of figure 8 demolition derby ....another plus:shocked2:

...shooting cb stuck in the jaws to split the ob frozen to the middle of the end rail...certainly a choice..but with my results history...I'm shooting the 4 railer, hoping it goes short and end up on the end rail, and the cb, either 3 or 4 rails to bottom cushion..

it's a crap shoot...I'm shooting:eek:

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
That's a tough spot to be in.
Banking one rail would probably result in a double kiss, so I wouldn't do that.
If the 9 really is frozen to the rail, I would load up with inside and cut it in. With a little practice, it's a surprisingly high percentage shot because the english will make the 9 hug the rail all the way into the pocket.

freedog69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all of the replies. It does not seem to me as though there is an easy safe or easy shot. Would you recommend loading up with outside english and trying to go 4 rails for a level 3 or 4 in APA? I don't see where a 1/2 ball hit will cause both balls to go to the long rail. If the cue ball was straight on then that would be possible but not at such an angle. Am I correct in my assumption?
Thanks again for all the assistance in this question.

safety play.jpg

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The safe is the harder option. I like the kick from here, a hair less than 2 1/2 diamonds on the long rail. If you don't make it, there is a good possibility of a fortunate roll with a solid hit.
Tough spot to be in, best to go down swinging if you're going to go down on this shot.
If you do kick it in, you seriously affect your opponents mental state. :grin:
Chuck

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not real sure I would try the 4 railer because that would really turn the CB loose, but I would try to bank it in the right hand, looking from the headstring, side pocket with just enough speed to either make it or just go by the side pocket. The CB would come over to the left side rail and make, if you miss, a tougher shot. The big problem is the 9 ball is frozen so the CB on any thinning shot is going to take off, and the 9 will come off the rail to make his shot a lot easier than the one you have.---Smitty

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Before you do anything say a prayer, but being that far and with cue elevation hitting hard will most likely not hit the 9 where intended, i opt for soft shot to control where tip is going to hit CB hence hit 9 such that let 9 go to side rail and CB stays close to bottom rail, and hope your opponent miss the side bank/two rails side, corner bank, or a difficult cut up corner. But usually the bad roles stays for couple of games before they turn back in your favor!!

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
honestly I don't see a safety in this situation is an indication that you are an underdog, most players would play a safety, unless you are playing for free and fun

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I doubt that an APA 4 would have the ability to hit the right thickness and speed to play a proper safety with the balls that far apart and bridging from the pocket. Trying to make the shot and leave distance in case you miss is the best that a C player could hope to do in that situation.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hitting about 1/3 of the 9 with some R) spin and leaving the balls on opposite side rails is what I usually ( try to) do.

You leave a bank, but sometimes It is a bad angled one, and sometimes the other guy even tries to play safe back.

I thnk you are gonna lose from there most of the time, but the bunt I described is relatively easy to execute.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a lower skill player, I would recommend just hitting the 9 to the opposite long rail, either above or below the side, and sending the cue ball back to the lower long rail. Unless you leave the 9 ball hanging in front of the side, you are leaving a tough bank or cut for your opponent.

Myself, I would either cut it in (depending on exact position) or would try a variation of the 4 rail shot mentioned. I would bank the 9 ball toward the 1st diamond or so on the top long rail. It has a chance to go 3 rails in the bottom side, and if not it will often end up close to where it started in the middle of the end rail. Meanwhile the cue ball with some low right will travel toward the opposite end rail. This takes a bit of practice to get the hit/speed right, but it's almost always effective unless you hit the point of the side pocket, and even then with good cue ball control you still can often leave a long shot.
Scott

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
This is what I call the 50 yard liner. When you play safe so that the OB and CB are directly across from each other on opposing rails. Tuff shot to pull off consistently but worth the effort in practice. If I am planning on playing in a 9 ball tournament I like to practice this shot a bit on the tables that I will be playing on, with a little practice you can become proficient at it.

But I also agree that if you are not experienced with that shot than maybe your best bet is to go for the win and cut that ball in the corner.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't see many players trying to cut that ball in.

One way is to hit as much of the nine as you can without kissing and let it ride. Follow may keep the cue ball stuck to the end rail. It's best to do this without hesitating or thinking about it and if it goes in act like you were playing it no matter where it drops.

I like banking the ball up by the side as mentioned above. If your speed is close, it will be a hard shot.

Kick at the ball? Not with a gun to my head unless I had a lot of practice on that table. I think shooting at 2 1/2 misses the ball on most tables, depending.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I don't see many players trying to cut that ball in.

One way is to hit as much of the nine as you can without kissing and let it ride. Follow may keep the cue ball stuck to the end rail. It's best to do this without hesitating or thinking about it and if it goes in act like you were playing it no matter where it drops.

I like banking the ball up by the side as mentioned above. If your speed is close, it will be a hard shot.

Kick at the ball? Not with a gun to my head unless I had a lot of practice on that table. I think shooting at 2 1/2 misses the ball on most tables, depending.

If I had your ball cutting ability Bob, I would never EVER bank a ball! :D

allanpsand

Author & PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Kiss

Slow roll the cue ball straight at the 9.

Cue ball stays on the rail with a tough shot.

Manoman2444

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barely nick the 9 ball on left ( it will come out a couple of inches)have cueball come back to other end of table. Will leave a really hard shot.

prad

Flip the coin
Silver Member
bank the 9 ball close to side rail.
the other thing you can do is may be hit the 9 thin and bring the cue ball back up table.
or i don't know if you can hit cueball with a draw shot and double kiss the 9 ball that will also bring the cue ball up table.