Is Earl Strickland Crazy or Extremely Passionate About This Sport???

freedog69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After watching this trailer to the "Strickland Story" I find myself wondering is this guy a few sandwiches short of a full picnic basket? Or is he that passionate about this game that he loves so much? I can't wait for this to air on Dec 1st. Love him or haye him you have to respect him. I love his quote "If pool deserves to die and not be respected like other sports. Then all sports deserve to die"

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/9031051/strickland-the-greatest-ever

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After watching this trailer to the "Strickland Story" I find myself wondering is this guy a few sandwiches short of a full picnic basket? Or is he that passionate about this game that he loves so much? I can't wait for this to air on Dec 1st. Love him or haye him you have to respect him. I love his quote "If pool deserves to die and not be respected like other sports. Then all sports deserve to die"

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/9031051/strickland-the-greatest-ever

I'm more of a Strickland fan each and every day. Is he eccentric? Sure but when you've won as much as he has, you're allowed.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've given that guy more chances than anybody I can think of.

I just can't help but root for him.

I think it has something to do with the fact that I can appreciate how much time a professional pool player has spent pursuing excellence. Then when I compare that to some of our major sports in the U.S. like basketball for instance -- I think the time difference is quite staggering.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Over time I've kind of mellowed about him. He's an ass sometimes, especially when he's losing,
but plenty of us are like that. I've been guilty of it too.

He has strong feelings about the way the game should be played.
At first this comes across as some old-timer clinging to the past and romanticizing it.
"back in my day everything was better, it was more fun, better pay, everyone wanted to watch, etc."
The thing is, all of that is basically true so maybe it's all fair to say.

I wish I were more into pool during his heyday when I could follow see the good with the bad.
Easier to swallow his antics when you know he might win the next US Open,
harder when all his major wins are probably long behind him.

Some days when I see him on some stream, and he's probably not going to win even this minor event,
he will still run one rack or make one shot in a way that's complete genius, and make it look easy.
It must have been something to see him running rack after rack like a machine, back in the day.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why can't I get it to play? Do you have to sign in to view it?

edit: signing in didn't help, still can't view it.?? Don't see what is blocking it.

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard that Earl and Efren are going play at Steinways. Does anybody know when that is supposed to happen?

Thepip

David
Silver Member
this is going to be on must watch list, Pool the way it was played for the reasons it was played. Told by the man that lived it.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, for starters, I am an Earl fan. One thing I know 100 percent is that he stands up for his convictions and doesn't give a damn if he's in the minority or what anybody else thinks. I like that in a person :smile:

I think he should wear sleeves. Don't care for the sleeveless shirts. :p

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
Spent enough time around him when he lived in Houston years ago. Can't remember one time when he didn't act like an egotistical insulting jackass to someone around him.

Maybe I just caught him on his time of the month, time after time after time.

Stones

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I love Earl's passion, but most of the passion shown in this video is Earl's passion for Earl.

I wish he'd have talked about the beauty of the game; the power, the finesse, the precision. I'm certain he's passionate about those too...but the producers had him focus on himself. Too bad.

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ive said it before, and Ill say it again. For anyone who thinks that Earl has lost a step, or doesn't quite shoot the way he used to, just watch the TAR match on the 10 footer. He runs out like its a fvcking bar box. All while wearing headphones, arm weights, and using a magnifying glass to check the rack!

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Not making excuses, but do ya'll know how many times over the years that Earl has had it broke off in him? How many people took, piece by piece, a bit of him. And he's as good as broke. Damn shame. It's understandable he might be a little bitter and guarded.

But yet, here he still is at 52 competing against the best and LOVES the game. I hope he's MVP at The Cup this year, that'd be great!

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you don't know Earl, you might not ever understand him.

I used to go bar hopping with Earl back in the mid 1980's and understand him some.:)

I'll admit, after watching some videos, he did lose his mind in some.:eek:

I'll always root for my old friend.:clapping:

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Not making excuses, but do ya'll know how many times over the years that Earl has had it broke off in him? How many people took, piece by piece, a bit of him. And he's as good as broke. Damn shame. It's understandable he might be a little bitter and guarded.

But yet, here he still is at 52 competing against the best and LOVES the game. I hope he's MVP at The Cup this year, that'd be great!

We'll said bud ....

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spent enough time around him when he lived in Houston years ago. Can't remember one time when he didn't act like an egotistical insulting jackass to someone around him.

Maybe I just caught him on his time of the month, time after time after time.

Stones

I can believe it, Stones. I respect his passion that he generates and I even appreciate some of his ideas he brings up.
Truthfully though, I think this passion he (and everyone else) speaks of is just an excuse for him to be able to throw fits and disrespect others.
It's complete b.s.

I have NEVER and will NEVER be a Pearl fan, no matter how much they dress him up in his golden years.
One can be passionate, intense, and even eccentric without resorting to disrespect. THAT'S THE POINT HERE.
People remember.

Last edited: