Stan Shuffett

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obviously, Stan is most well known for his CTE/Pro One system. However, there is far more to what he has to offer as an Instructor than CTE/Pro One.

Was fortunate enough to have another lesson with Stan on Friday. Drove down Thursday night and stayed at a very nice, clean and affordable Holiday Inn Express in nearby Campblesburg, KY in order that I could easily make it over to Stan's for an early start. We had the lesson on Stan's 9 foot Diamond which plays perfect.

We spent some time at first on some CTE/Pro One tune ups. Stan helped me improve picking up 45 and 60 degree perceptions. We spent some time discussing how better utilize CTE/Pro One with banking and some of the minor tweaking with english and speed that is often needed with banks.

We then got into some really powerful stuff with grip and stroke that Stan has compiled over is 40 years of pool experience. He shared numerous stroke and grip variations to address numerous shots that come up in nearly every pool game. We spent considerable time on using side english with CTE/Pro One as the base. I have been using part of this, to a degree, with reasonable success but what Stan added was substantial. Stan showed me 1/4 and 1/2 stroke shots and where in a game they can be used to really decrease the margin for error when the primary goal is making the shot. Stan showed me his method for an efficient punch shot and set up numerous situations where this shot is best employed. He showed me some specific methods (grip and stroke) to precision draw shots where the CB/OB are 3 diamonds or less apart with a total draw desired from stop shot to 8 diamonds (diamonds apart plus diamond draw back). He showed his method for power draw.

This really filled in some gaps for me on some shots that seem to come up in every match that I previously didn't have the right or most efficient solution for. Stan's solutions provide an easier method for pocketing the ball with much more precise CB control.

On top of all that, Stan then spent time showing me a number of shots the way the Professionals do it. A lot of these were game ending shots where, aside from avoiding a scratch, the only purpose is to pocket the OB. I watch a fair amount of Professional matches on streaming and often wondered why the Pros would shoot a game ending shot the way they do. Now I understand and it makes perfect sense. He also showed me a number of methods in kicking that the Pros use that decrease the margin for error and increase their opportunity for actually pocketing the ball versus just making contact.

All these things showed me how there's a lot more to CTE/Pro One than just aiming. These advanced lessons show how you utilize CTE/Pro One to find that aiming point but the User isn't limited to CCB. If done correctly, you can reference that center pocket aim line to use side english and an angled cue quite easily and efficiently. I think a lot of people with minimal understanding of REAL CTE don't realize this and I can now understand why. Incredibly powerful stuff indeed.

Thank you Stan, I am looking forward to incorporating what you showed me into my game and a return lesson in a couple of months to fine tune what I learned and "steal" even more of your wealth of knowledge acquired over 4 decades. Starting my pool passion rather late in life, I don't have 40 years to pick this up with HAMB.

Odysseus

Student of the game
Silver Member
Getting both of Mr. shuffett's dvd's for Xmas and, after a few months of study, I am looking forward to scheduling a weekend with him or Landon in the spring of 2015. Really excited about the concept and application CTE/Pro One.

NocityPool, you have some fine BMX tracks up in your neck of the woods. Very fine racing indeed.

Last edited: