Is a Short Backswing the Teacher?

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all I'm sorry to hear about the Beard's passing. RIP.

Lately, I've been getting beat by "ball jabbers." Since practicing a little with a shorter backswing, my accuracy, especially with centerball has improved.

The world is upside down,

vvsels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you talking the follow thru or the back stroke? I believe you need to have a full follow thru for drawing the CB or following the OB. I do feel that a center ball hit with a short follow thru (jab) works better than a full follow thru.

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you talking the follow thru or the back stroke? I believe you need to have a full follow thru for drawing the CB or following the OB. I do feel that a center ball hit with a short follow thru (jab) works better than a full follow thru.

Short back stroke.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your accuracy improves because you're traveling less distance to the CB contact point so any slight movement in your back swing doesn't move the cue around as much.

When you narrow the motion you lessen imperfections showing up.

Sent from my X501_USA_Cricket using Tapatalk 2

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your accuracy improves because you're traveling less distance to the CB contact point so any slight movement in your back swing doesn't move the cue around as much.

Sent from my X501_USA_Cricket using Tapatalk 2

Exactly. Most people with a longer backstroke aren't actually taking the cue back in a straight line. I know for me personally I was pulling to the right a little bit, and then on my forward stroke would either stroke straight from my new position, or subconsciously twist my arm to try and hit where I was aiming. In either case, it generally resulted in not being very consistent.

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Makes perfect sense. But these particular players I'm referring to are taking it to the extreme. Less than 5" at the most, maybe 2" at the least. I've been more in the 8-10" range.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Allen Hopkins made a nice living with his mini-back swing. :wink:

His began because of cramped quarters in his childhood basement.

best,
brian kc <---- now thinking about reinstalling some lally columns. :eek::grin-square::eek:

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
If your shorten the distance between your bridge hand and the CB it will have the same affect and actually force you to have a shorter back swing. But the follow through is the most important thing to remember to do because its how you get action on the CB.

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...but how will you do the ram shot with such a short backswing? Ram shot is the true teacher.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
What you have to do on each shot should determine the length of your stroke.

If you stroke the same way every shot, you're a victim of the 'style trap'.

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brian beat me to it , watch Allan Hopkins . I tried the way he does and really improved my game , but I'm so old I forget to short stroke it . jim

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's like throwing a dart, you want to take it back smooth

If you're going to shorten something, I'd recommend the follow through instead. Taking the cue all the way back is usually beneficial on fully released shots.

It's like throwing a dart, you want to take it back smooth, then simply return it with acceleration to where your hand started. Extending your follow through leads to all sorts of control issues because it amplifies the "after contact" reaction of the cue-ball.

First of all I'm sorry to hear about the Beard's passing. RIP.

Lately, I've been getting beat by "ball jabbers." Since practicing a little with a shorter backswing, my accuracy, especially with centerball has improved.

The world is upside down,

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're going to shorten something, I'd recommend the follow through instead. Taking the cue all the way back is usually beneficial on fully released shots.

It's like throwing a dart, you want to take it back smooth, then simply return it with acceleration to where your hand started. Extending your follow through leads to all sorts of control issues because it amplifies the "after contact" reaction of the cue-ball.

Really I always have been of the mind set if you try shortening your follow through it leads to decelerating stroke or jab stroke ,, some guys in darts including me don't take it back far at all but have a full follow thru ,, kinda like a quarter back throwing from the ear

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was always taught that the backstroke is as long as needed, this is how we predict the speed of a shot. The follow through should mirror the backstroke, also. If you pull back 8 inches, you should follow through 8 inches.

As for a punch style stroke...it has its uses but I wouldn't advise using it for all or most shots. Its ideal for stun run through, firm stun and where a full follow through can't be achieved. For everything else I'd use a follow through as long as the backstroke. If you incorporate a pause at the end of the back stroke and focus in the tip when pulling the cur back before switching to either CB or OB the you should accelerate through and pull back nice and straight regardless of how long the backstroke is.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was always taught that the backstroke is as long as needed, this is how we predict the speed of a shot. The follow through should mirror the backstroke, also. If you pull back 8 inches, you should follow through 8 inches.

As for a punch style stroke...it has its uses but I wouldn't advise using it for all or most shots. Its ideal for stun run through, firm stun and where a full follow through can't be achieved. For everything else I'd use a follow through as long as the backstroke. If you incorporate a pause at the end of the back stroke and focus in the tip when pulling the cur back before switching to either CB or OB the you should accelerate through and pull back nice and straight regardless of how long the backstroke is.

The follow thru has almost zero effect on the ball '

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
What you have to do on each shot should determine the length of your stroke.

If you stroke the same way every shot, you're a victim of the 'style trap'.

Agreed! You need to fill your toolbox, :) just don't do like me and pick the wrong tool at the wrong time. :D

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The debate over follow through must be something that comes up every 6 months or so. The follow through itself has no effect on the CB. However, the follow through itself is a result of what was done prior to contacting the CB. Therefore, in an indirect way, the follow through does in fact affect what happens to the CB. The human arm and reflexes aren't capable of instantly stopping the forward motion of the cue. It can't go from acceleration to stop instantly. There has to be some deceleration. Like it or not, you can't escape the physics involved.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want to see someone play great pool using a very consistent and somewhat short backstroke, just watch videos of Buddy Hall in his prime.

Just make sure it's not the finals of the 91 COC :)

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suggest adding a "Chris Melling" style pause at the backstroke. It took some time but the short backstroke became a gimmee on long strait shots. Just don't jerk it forward after the pause. Let it flow.