If you're Tyler's backer

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you play that same set again, the same way?
or
Even and try to bet more?

Tyler bet 100% of his own money vs Jesus

Jesus put up half his side of the money with his own cash.

This is all according to Roy's Basement, he made a great post about the match on his Facebook page

Last edited:

#Cruncher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since Tyler was his own backer, he has to have an honest evaluation of how he played. If he believes he dogged it on Day 2, he could show heart and play the same way Day 2. If I were him, I would ask to play even and bet more. I’m sure there are many people that would go in with him on that. I doubt the other side would go for it, but it doesn’t hurt to ask lol.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Since Tyler was his own backer, he has to have an honest evaluation of how he played.

Great post. The post-mortem is very important when you are a young emerging player. We all know that Tyler has great ability, and if he plays Atencio a second time, he could well prevail. He has the skills. The post-mortem is more about self-evaluation to ensure that he remains on the right developmental path.

Winning at the highest level requires two things: a) creating enough chances to run out and b) cashing in enough of those chances to be successful.

Other than the chances that land it your lap, there are two basic ways to create chances at rotation pool: 1) your break, and b) your moves game.

Fittingly, so much is said of Tyler's superb break, but he must evaluate himself in the other aspects of the game. He has one of the better breaks in the game, and sometimes that's going to be enough.

I think it's in the other parts of the game that he still needs development. His pocketing is solid and his patterns are good but not great. His defense and kicking still need further development. He doesn't use many two way shots, and his general tactical conceptualization (push outs, downside management on both offense and defense, creating some small extra chances) is still a little underdeveloped. This is not meant to suggest that these skills ae missing, only to note that they are not at an elite level quite yet.

Imagine if Tyler could beat players to the shot the way Reyes, Pagulayan, Orcullo, Appleton and Bergman always did. Imagine if he learned to play the kind of patterns we tend to associate with Buddy Hall and Ralf Souquet. The fact is that all of this is possible and if it happens, Tyler could become a top five in the world player. If he doesn't develop in these respects, however, he may never be counted among the top twenty in the world.

Hence, your call for a post-mortem on this match is very well judged. Tyler is an exceptional player that needs some fine tuning. He's easy to root for and if he's sufficiently committed to honing his craft, the sky is the limit.

Good luck to Tyler, a fine young man and a fine young player on the rise.

Last edited:

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jesus' 722 fargo is 100% underated. I think hes easily on the same level of guys like Donny Mills(753) and Tyler. As he get more games recorded, I can see a quick boost.

Tyler 754 fargo is probably about right. It should be much higher with his world class(top 3) break. Thats how much the rest of his game is lacking. He had a 40% BNR rate vs Chris. A 40% BNR guy should have 15 games easy on a 722 fargo guy.

Wish it was an even match and we had stats to get a better idea of how both players performed.

I think rematch, an even match, Tyler wins. He had that horrid second day which i think was an anomaly.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
What was the final score? I didn't have the opportunity to watch. I looked in the main, action room, and stream threads and didnt see the score.

CharlesUFarley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What was the final score? I didn't have the opportunity to watch. I looked in the main, action room, and stream threads and didnt see the score.
The final score was 100 to 94.

I think Tyler can and will replay this match the same way and win. I didn't see most of day two, but if Tyler did play poorly that day, as suggested above, then he should be a clear favorite if he can maintain his focus throughout the entire match. Ii think focus is one of Tyler's strongest attributes. I believe he will be top 5 in the world in a couple of years.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I put if because we don't know if someone gave that to Tyler and I don't think I am out on a limb when saying that most pool players, even the top ones can't put up 10 or 20k once let alone twice.

Great if he did play on his own money, no shame in having a backer.

Do you play that same set again, the same way?
or
Even and try to bet more?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
thats too close a score to draw any real conclusions who is the best from it.
however it does lend towards an even match up. and anyone that keeps betting on even matchups while backing someone is a fool.
and any one overall playing even matchups for decent money is a fool as well. as he establishes his speed every time he plays and soon wont get a game he can win at.

then he can become a broke tournament player like all the rest unless he is in the top five in the world and stays that way for a long time..

i dont know how much money is given for showing your match on tv or the net but it better be high to compensate for your decline in gambling income in the future.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
The final score was 100 to 94.

I think Tyler can and will replay this match the same way and win. I didn't see most of day two, but if Tyler did play poorly that day, as suggested above, then he should be a clear favorite if he can maintain his focus throughout the entire match. Ii think focus is one of Tyler's strongest attributes. I believe he will be top 5 in the world in a couple of years.

No chance he's ever top 5.

Just sayin

Reactions: sjm

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tyler got beat! There's no two ways about it. The kid played better under pressure when it really counted. I was far more impressed with his game than Tyler's. IMO he has more upside potential to be a top player than Tyler. His game reminds me of Justin Bergman's and that ain't so bad. They are both gunfighters who know how to make the kill!

Tyler cannot win at this game! Psychologically Jesus has an edge on him now. Tyler could win playing even, but it wouldn't be easy. A lot is made of his big break, but I saw him lose control of the cue ball over half the time and not leave himself a look at the one ball many times when he did make a ball. Knowing how to control your break shot is more important than just hitting them hard! Earl never had the hardest break, but what he had was a very effective break that allowed him to run rack after rack.

Tyler did not look confident, and he took a lot of time on many shots that he subsequently missed. His sub par position play was often caused by poor speed control of the cue ball. When we talk about position play, cue ball speed control is 90% of it!

My opinion is that Tyler is on the edge of either becoming a good player or quitting the game entirely. It will take a lot of hard work for him to become a top player and I'm not sure he has the motivation to do that now. Only time will tell. I see him on a straight trajectory the last two years with little progress or advancement. If he did in fact have the skills that people are attributing to him here he would have won this match. Based on what I saw on days two and three he was fortunate to have the score be as close as it was. Jesus definitely had a let down on day three that allowed Tyler to climb back in the match. But when it really counted Jesus rose to the occasion and Tyler did not. That's the match I watched. :yes:

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Playing even yes, giving up a spot no.

Tyler got on runs that were impressive, but he looked to wear down mentally. Was a good back and forth match, that I thought Tyler would win when it was 59-67 and he came back and got the lead again.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If you lose a money match betting your own, it doesn’t make sense to make a rematch
with a stakehorses.....if you play for the same amount, and win...you’re stuck whatever
the stakehorse is picking up.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
you always take a stake horse if you arent a large favorite to win. that is elementary math to figure out.

you play each match to give yourself the way it gives you the most possible money.
whether you are up or down from a past match you dont use that past to determine how or who you play or what amounts to bet.

you determine that by your bankroll and the chances of winning.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
i watched a couple hours of day three.

imo JESUS wins if they play again without a spot

Reminds of when Mark Tadd came to Charlotte in 91 or 92 and got the 8 from Searcy...by the time they were finished he was giving Dennis the 8 who ended up on his stool saying NO MAS

Again, this was the Searcy of the early 90's, not the one of the mid 70"s

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tyler got beat! There's no two ways about it. The kid played better under pressure when it really counted. I was far more impressed with his game than Tyler's. IMO he has more upside potential to be a top player than Tyler. His game reminds me of Justin Bergman's and that ain't so bad. They are both gunfighters who know how to make the kill!

Tyler cannot win at this game! Psychologically Jesus has an edge on him now. Tyler could win playing even, but it wouldn't be easy. A lot is made of his big break, but I saw him lose control of the cue ball over half the time and not leave himself a look at the one ball many times when he did make a ball. Knowing how to control your break shot is more important than just hitting them hard! Earl never had the hardest break, but what he had was a very effective break that allowed him to run rack after rack.

Tyler did not look confident, and he took a lot of time on many shots that he subsequently missed. His sub par position play was often caused by poor speed control of the cue ball. When we talk about position play, cue ball speed control is 90% of it!

My opinion is that Tyler is on the edge of either becoming a good player or quitting the game entirely. It will take a lot of hard work for him to become a top player and I'm not sure he has the motivation to do that now. Only time will tell. I see him on a straight trajectory the last two years with little progress or advancement. If he did in fact have the skills that people are attributing to him here he would have won this match. Based on what I saw on days two and three he was fortunate to have the score be as close as it was. Jesus definitely had a let down on day three that allowed Tyler to climb back in the match. But when it really counted Jesus rose to the occasion and Tyler did not. That's the match I watched. :yes:
Maybe Tyler bet his own because he thought he had the nuts.

It looked that way at 1st but then Jesus began to really start playing well and put some heat on Tyler.

Jesus played a great match, that kid seems to have something special.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No chance he's ever top 5.

Just sayin

Sad right...cause he's already too old.
It would have happened by now.

Nothing as underestimated in life as the power of youth.

I'd love to see him step up and run it back. That is tremendous pressure on yourself fir winning...but pressure is what makes champions.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to see them play races to 21, play 5 sets minimum over a couple days for a bunch. Bet each set so somebody has the chance to show dominance by winning 4 or 5 sets. It would say a lot more about both of them.

Get rid of the Kamui chalk too.