Pro skills amateur thoughts....

jcpoolgod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a (big) tournament this weekend....2 day event....first match lost...then i climbed up the losers side....made it to sunday..won two matches on sunday......

3rd match...Im playing against someone I think should be able to beat. First rack run out to perfect position on the 8 then i baby the shot into the side pocket...hang the ball and dont even hit a rail...guy gets out...next rack ..i run down and hook myself on my last ball..guy gets out....all in all i lost 5-0 when i literally gave the guy 3 games....

What are some key thoughts that you guys think separate the pros from the amateurs? I definitely think my physical game is strong....but clearly i let my few mental errors still my match from me.....

I really want to take my game to the next level...and the thoughts are going to get me there...what did you all learn as you we're coming through the ranks...

CMarshall

D player at best
Silver Member
I so relate to this…My pool mentor says to me one time "Marshall, you play well, but you can't finish!" Every f'n time I'm down to the last ball, I hear him say it. It's frustrating! However, I've learned to FINISH my last ball. I sink that puppy. Give me a chance and I will bury it. It took a lot of loses though. I used to baby the last ball in and miss it. Leaving it a hanger for my opponent. I was told to HIT IT IN THE POCKET, if I miss, it won't be RIGHT THERE for the other guy to put in.

Live n learn. It's a game…. I hate losing, but I learn from the loses.

I've botched some shot before, for sure, but I at least remember my mistakes and try not to repeat them.

Another thing. I'm good at pool. I'm not THAT good. I've been playing seriously for three years now? I have a lot to learn. I can beat the average guys that live in my neighborhood. I can hold my own against other players in my league. The pressure of playing with a lot of people watching is something I'm getting used to. Honestly, I'm a pretty average player. I know what I want to do, but doing it, and making it happen is where I lack experience.

I love playing pool. It's so fun and I can see where I am improving. For me, it's just about getting better daily.

I basically do drills and practice problem shots at home now. I never just play game after game like I used to. I practice specific things.

I'm buzzed, and tired and rambling…I'm going to bed now….

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play a lot better for money than I do trophies. It depends upon the environment and the opponents. I don't like handicap tournaments, nor short races. I prefer playing heads-up, even if I'm playing the world champion. I may not win, but I play better when everything is even on the table. If you lose, you lose...if you win, you win.

I think the key to winning is thinking you can win. If you don't think you can win, you start overthinking and worrying about what will happen if you screw up. If you think you are going to screw up, you need to settle your mind. You can only hit a ball so many ways to get it to go in the proximity of where you want it to go. It isn't that hard if you have a clear mind.

I try to drive the cue ball to a "position" on the table even if I am shooting at the last ball on the table. It makes me concentrate more.

Last edited:

CMarshall

D player at best
Silver Member
I played this guy recently, who played nothing but safeties. One after the other! It was so frustrating. But, I figured eventually, he's going to make a mistake. He did and I ran out on him.

Yeah, it's way more mental than I ever thought. I believe in a positive mental attitude. I just need to learn how to make what happens in my head, happen on the table consistently!

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
The link below is to a play list of a weekly series that I provide through my website. I am not sure if any of the answers that you need will be in these videos - but there is some good information hidden in there. If you would like - you can always give me a call and set up an appointment with me - my number is listed at my website - link is in my sig.

Mental Game 101
.Video 1 - Emotional Control
.Video 2 - Maintaining Composure
.Video 3 - Your Brain Is A Lousy Pool Player

Ak147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer playing heads-up, even if I'm playing the world champion. I may not win, but I play better when everything is even on the table. If you lose, you lose...if you win, you win.

Though I understand why you want to play even with Pro's but you may not be getting pro's best game since there is no pressure on him/her (pro) as he/she is likely to win anyway.

In my opinion it is better to get handicap from better players so that both are subjected to same pressure and game is fair.

[I am assuming you are not pro yet and playing a longer race :)]

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
If you have the requisite skill set then it comes down to one word, FOCUS.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To play your best pool you have to figure out how to reach that heightened sense of focus.

You can read all the books -- and there are a lot of them out there that are always referenced. Some of these books are great and they may help you reach this state easier. So you read the books and then you practice to increase your physical skills, but to actually play your absolute best pool you have unlock this mystery of focus for yourself.

So what separates the pros from the amateurs? There's obviously the difference in physical skills (and this difference can be vast) but I've also found that all the great players I talk to ABSOLUTELY love the thrill of competition. They love feeling nervous. They love the adrenaline rush. I had a epiphany when I finally realized I needed to stop going out of my way to AVOID experiencing all the nervous energy that's associated with competing, and instead embrace this feeling and for me it has unlocked a big part of the mystery of reaching this heightened sense of focus. I now find myself playing my best in tournament settings instead of hanging on for dear life.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Though I understand why you want to play even with Pro's but you may not be getting pro's best game since there is no pressure on him/her (pro) as he/she is likely to win anyway.

In my opinion it is better to get handicap from better players so that both are subjected to same pressure and game is fair.

[I am assuming you are not pro yet and playing a longer race :)]

I think I get most everybody's best game. I can run racks with the best of people when I'm hitting them good.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
To play your best pool you have to figure out how to reach that heightened sense of focus.

You can read all the books -- and there are a lot of them out there that are always referenced. Some of these books are great and they may help you reach this state easier. So you read the books and then you practice to increase your physical skills, but to actually play your absolute best pool you have unlock this mystery of focus for yourself.

So what separates the pros from the amateurs? There's obviously the difference in physical skills (and this difference can be vast) but I've also found that all the great players I talk to ABSOLUTELY love the thrill of competition. They love feeling nervous. They love the adrenaline rush. I had a epiphany when I finally realized I needed to stop going out of my way to AVOID experiencing all the nervous energy that's associated with competing, and instead embrace this feeling and for me it has unlocked a big part of the mystery of reaching this heightened sense of focus. I now find myself playing my best in tournament settings instead of hanging on for dear life.

I could not agree more with this. I am going through what I hope is just a phase where I am more likely to get beat by a weaker player rather than a stronger player. Some of the opponents I play I expect to beat and some of them expect that I am going to beat them, it seems like since I have lost that fear of getting beat that I do not compete as good.

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In rotation games anybody can beat you if you aren't getting all the way out. Sounds like your ego got bruised because of the low caliber of player you lost to. If you dog the last 3 balls or less, you shouldn't be winning... no matter who you lose to.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I've also found that all the great players I talk to ABSOLUTELY love the thrill of competition. They love feeling nervous. They love the adrenaline rush. I had a epiphany when I finally realized I needed to stop going out of my way to AVOID experiencing all the nervous energy that's associated with competing, and instead embrace this feeling and for me it has unlocked a big part of the mystery of reaching this heightened sense of focus. I now find myself playing my best in tournament settings instead of hanging on for dear life.

I made the mistake of shutting down my competitive drive, and my game has suffered tremendously. With zoning out the nerves, I also unintentionally zoned out my "give a sh!t". Bad mistake. Once I realized it was gone, it was too late. Now I'm struggling to get that fire back, even if it means bringing the nerves back with it.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In rotation games anybody can beat you if you aren't getting all the way out. Sounds like your ego got bruised because of the low caliber of player you lost to. If you dog the last 3 balls or less, you shouldn't be winning... no matter who you lose to.

I am guessing, being the APA Regionals were this weekend, that he is a 6 and lost to another 6, thus he did not lose to a "lower caliber" player.

I am also guessing he was playing 8 ball and though most here think they are gods because they play on a 9 foot table that is sooooooo much harder than a 7 footer (sarcasm), the truth is as you get down to your last couple balls on a 7 footer it typically becomes harder as those are probably the ones with less angles to get to and harder pocket choices to put them in because of the lack of open table you 9 foot gods have.

So maybe you should check your ego a little bit.

Last edited:

jus4funbilliard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've personally lost my drive at league level, I'm a decent six who struggles with local players, play in tournaments in APA with out of town mix and hold my own with sixes and sevens.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a (big) tournament this weekend....2 day event....first match lost...then i climbed up the losers side....made it to sunday..won two matches on sunday......

3rd match...Im playing against someone I think should be able to beat. First rack run out to perfect position on the 8 then i baby the shot into the side pocket...hang the ball and dont even hit a rail...guy gets out...next rack ..i run down and hook myself on my last ball..guy gets out....all in all i lost 5-0 when i literally gave the guy 3 games....

What are some key thoughts that you guys think separate the pros from the amateurs? I definitely think my physical game is strong....but clearly i let my few mental errors still my match from me.....

I really want to take my game to the next level...and the thoughts are going to get me there...what did you all learn as you we're coming through the ranks...

The pros are better at lagging, breaking, better shotmakers, better at safety play and better at controlling the cue ball.

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am guessing, being the APA Regionals were this weekend, that he is a 6 and lost to another 6, thus he did not lose to a "lower caliber" player.

I am also guessing he was playing 8 ball and though most here think they are gods because they play on a 9 foot table that is sooooooo much harder than a 7 footer (sarcasm), the truth is as you get down to your last couple balls on a 7 footer it typically becomes harder as those are probably the ones with less angles to get to and harder pocket choices to put them in because of the lack of open table you 9 foot gods have.

You don't even know what I'm trying to tell the man.

He said he should have won...cause he thinks he's the better player.

And yeah....I'd run you over on any table now that you bring it up...

bad_hit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do the same thing every time. Don't worry about "focusing", just do the same thing every time and you will automatically focus and make less mistakes over time. Have a very good pre-shot routine, stance, stroke - all fundamentals rock solid. It'll make much less difference in how you play when you're tired, nervous, etc and you'll dog less shots. Self-talk is important too, read some books on mental game for different sports (not just pool). It's a journey and will take time, after years of playing I've only really started working hard on this recently and it's an eye opener to say the least.

jcpoolgod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hey blackjack...

The link below is to a play list of a weekly series that I provide through my website. I am not sure if any of the answers that you need will be in these videos - but there is some good information hidden in there. If you would like - you can always give me a call and set up an appointment with me - my number is listed at my website - link is in my sig.

Mental Game 101
.Video 1 - Emotional Control
.Video 2 - Maintaining Composure
.Video 3 - Your Brain Is A Lousy Pool Player

I watched 15 of your videos today.....You have some great information...I think a solid and planned out preshot routine is my next plan....and will take me to the levels i need to be at....the moment i can get my conscious plan out of the scenario the better...

I got a question for you about preshot routines....that i was messing with a few months ago....and i think its valid...

sample pre shot routine...(detailed version) pick up chalk...chalk 4 times....snap chalk on table...step down on the shot line.....practice stroke...practice stroke....shoot.....

ok...so thats where most people would end ....but my idea is i dont want the "end" of my routine to be the stroke...I want it to be somewhere in the middle of my routine...that way my mind values chalk 4 times just as much as SHOOT.....

so my routine continues from "shoot".....to follow through...freeze stay down....stand back up.....

what are your thoughts in having the stroke somewhere in the middle of the stroke

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
I watched 15 of your videos today.....You have some great information...I think a solid and planned out preshot routine is my next plan....and will take me to the levels i need to be at....the moment i can get my conscious plan out of the scenario the better...

I got a question for you about preshot routines....that i was messing with a few months ago....and i think its valid...

sample pre shot routine...(detailed version) pick up chalk...chalk 4 times....snap chalk on table...step down on the shot line.....practice stroke...practice stroke....shoot.....

ok...so thats where most people would end ....but my idea is i dont want the "end" of my routine to be the stroke...I want it to be somewhere in the middle of my routine...that way my mind values chalk 4 times just as much as SHOOT.....

so my routine continues from "shoot".....to follow through...freeze stay down....stand back up.....

what are your thoughts in having the stroke somewhere in the middle of the stroke

For me, pre-shot means PRE-shot.

There are 3 phases ... pre-shot, shot, post-shot.

I would not extend a PSR any further than pre-shot. That's just me.

I explain the elements of an effective Preshot routine in that video ...

I am sure that we can break down the elements of an effective routine for DURING the shot as well as after the shot - but for me - just for me - that goes a bit too far ... but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't work for somebody else.

The thing about pre-shot routines - is that everybody can be different ... we do different things - we do things in different ways ... the most important thing is to be consistent. For most of us to be consistent - we need to keep things as simple as possible - that way it is easy to to remember and easy for your PSR to become your new good habit.

jcpoolgod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

your missing the point...instead of attacking me(who you dont know) offer me some solutions to proper thinking.....why did you even post on this?