Reload this Page Can't watch pool anymore, Snooker is so much nicer
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Can't watch pool anymore, Snooker is so much nicer
Old
  (#1)
M.G.
AzB Silver Member
M.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Can't watch pool anymore, Snooker is so much nicer - 07-15-2019, 03:04 AM

Really, I can't watch pool anymore.

If you compare World Cup of Pool against recent Snooker matches it's like watching infants in their toy cars competing against some serious Le Mans racing.
And yes, I'm also talking about the commentators.

Pool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXbrDOk3oTc

versus Snooker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXStPUKsZRM

Those Snooker guys have again upped the bar on both potting and tactical play.
Also on a technical level, you see the Pool guys wobbling around with their huge sticks whereas the Snooker guys are steady and straight that it's pure fun to watch.

Cheerio - that has been an emotional post...

Old
  (#2)
erhino41
AzB Silver Member
erhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond repute

07-15-2019, 05:54 AM

Cool story, bro.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Admit
Old
  (#3)
franko
AzB Silver Member
franko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond repute

Admit - 07-15-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.G. View Post

If you compare World Cup of Pool against recent Snooker matches it's like watching infants in their toy cars competing against some serious Le Mans racing.

Pool

versus Snooker:

Also on a technical level, you see the Pool guys wobbling around with their huge sticks whereas the Snooker guys are steady and straight that it's pure fun to watch.

I hate to admit it but you are right. I tried to watch two of my favorite women Kristina T. vs Kelly Fisher and turned it off not because of their play but because the commentators constant talking and laughing at their own inside jokes.

Old
  (#4)
jimmyco
These go to 11
jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

07-15-2019, 06:21 AM

. N i c e .

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Old
  (#5)
AzB Silver Member
Cron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond repute

07-15-2019, 06:37 AM

Dude, as far as the commentators, just mute it. You know a lot of them don't get paid to do it and they are human. I like it because you get to put a personality behind some of these older retired players that you never would get a chance to otherwise. Also, I'm not sure why commentators feel it is a good idea to be so serious all the time. I know the PGA learned a lesson in being so serious, and their viewers grew (almost uncannily large).

The world needs less talking calculators.

Old
  (#6)
sjm
Sweating the 2017 Mosconi
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

07-15-2019, 06:42 AM

No problem here. You've found something you really fancy in snooker and should continue to enjoy it to the max.

As far as commentary in pool, yes it's horrific. There are only about five or ten in our sport that don't get the mute button from me.

When I think about the two greatest inventions of recent times, I am torn between the mute feature on streams, which helps me avoid a severe headache when I watch streamed pool, and caller ID, which allows me to ignore the phone calls of those with whom I do not wish to speak. These two inventions have been major positive forces in my life.

Last edited by sjm; 07-15-2019 at 06:48 AM.

Old
  (#7)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

07-15-2019, 06:43 AM

I loved the world cup of pool
I love snooker with jon virgo

Carom is better

But i tried to watch a snooker frame from this yr ronnie and some young chap and they were going for snookers for the first 6 or so mins of the frame just trying to hide it back up on the rail behind the balkline
I guess i dont get that part of it much when you miss you get to do it again, its not as punishing as ball in hand so you lose a point? I think? Not the kind of snooker i generally enjoy

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

Old
  (#8)
Swighey
AzB Silver Member
Swighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond repute

07-15-2019, 07:25 AM

I think anyone who plays at least one of the games, and has a reasonable idea of how good they themselves are at the game(s), will know that snooker is the more difficult game. Also, the snooker commentators are earning decent money rather than pocket money. That said, some aspects of pool are difficult for snooker players and some of the stuff that the corn-hole rivalling pool commentators come up with is insightful and will lead to improvements for most regular player who bother to actively listen.

I love both games. The commentary doesn’t bother me. Snooker commentary is generally better. Snooker players are generally better cuesmiths. I love both games. I prefer pool (I gave up playing snooker because I didn’t have the time/wasn’t good enough/couldn’t be bothered/wasn’t motivated to get better/can’t play it almost equally well sober and drunk/it’s less sociable/it’s just really really hard work/some other crappy excuse) so I play pool more and am interested in what anyone commenting on the game has to say about it.

Old
  (#9)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

07-15-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
No problem here. You've found something you really fancy in snooker and should continue to enjoy it to the max.

As far as commentary in pool, yes it's horrific. There are only about five or ten in our sport that don't get the mute button from me.

When I think about the two greatest inventions of recent times, I am torn between the mute feature on streams, which helps me avoid a severe headache when I watch streamed pool, and caller ID, which allows me to ignore the phone calls of those with whom I do not wish to speak. These two inventions have been major positive forces in my life.
Add to those the 0h-so-AWESOME "Ignore" function here on AZ. I now have about 8-9 on my list. I wish EVERY forum/chat had this feature. For me the best pool commentary comes from Big Truck, POV and anything Jeremy Jones is on. Matchroom is also quite good.

Last edited by garczar; 07-15-2019 at 08:02 AM.

Old
  (#10)
gogg
AzB Silver Member
gogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond repute

07-15-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Carom Club View Post
I loved the world cup of pool
I love snooker with jon virgo

Carom is better

But i tried to watch a snooker frame from this yr ronnie and some young chap and they were going for snookers for the first 6 or so mins of the frame just trying to hide it back up on the rail behind the balkline
I guess i dont get that part of it much when you miss you get to do it again, its not as punishing as ball in hand so you lose a point? I think? Not the kind of snooker i generally enjoy
They are penalized a number of points with each miss.... hit a more valuable ball by mistake and get punished with those points as well.
It IS different, but it is cool in its own way.

Some of these boys, they have the goods as far as accuracy and positioning!
It is the ultimate game of f#@! Yer buddy, don’t ya think?

And carom rocks BIG TIME! Just nowhere to play around here...☹️

Even a bad day at the table is better than a good day at work!

A man, as a general rule,owes very little to what he is born with.
A man is what he makes of himself.
Alexander Graham Bell

Old
  (#11)
9 Ball Fan
Darth Maximus
9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute

07-15-2019, 10:47 AM

Snooker is a darn fine game, but few people have room for a snooker table. I too enjoy watching snooker matches.

The average person would much rather play pool. There are multiple games, and the rules are simple. You can teach someone, in only a few minutes, how to lose at pool....

Favorite Cues:
Meucci Pro Series
1990s Viking

Old
  (#12)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

07-15-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.G. View Post

Pool

versus Snooker:

This is why there is more than one type of beer and scotch being made. Snooker to me is like watching a straight pool match from 1920 with nicer cameras.
They are two separate games it's like trying to compare different types of car racing or baseball to cricket, football to rugby, wool to cotton. Each is it's own thing.
And there is nothing I enjoy more than reminding the "snoobs" (snooker snobs) in YouTube pool video comments about that. "sure it's easy with those giant pockets" "snooker players would beat them all", blah blah blah..
Snoobs are closely followed by those that have to mention Efren in every match comment to say how much better he is than anyone else playing in the video.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Last edited by hang-the-9; 07-15-2019 at 02:20 PM.

Old
  (#13)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member
DecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond repute

07-15-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
This is why there is more than one type of beer and scotch being made. Snooker to me is like watching a straight pool match from 1920 with nicer cameras.
They are two separate games it's like trying to compare different types of car racing or baseball to cricket, football to rugby, wool to cotton. Each is it's own thing.
And there is nothing I enjoy more than reminding the "snoobs" (snooker snobs) in YouTube pool video comments about that. "sure it's easy with those giant pockets" "snooker players would beat them all", blah blah blah..
Snoobs are closely followed by those that have to mention Efren in every match comment to say how much better he is than anyone else playing in the video.
You can be a great Pianist and a good Organ player, or a great Organ player and a good Pianist, but nobody is great at both.

Old
  (#14)
Low500
AzB Silver Member
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute

07-15-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecentShot View Post
You can be a great Pianist and a good Organ player, or a great Organ player and a good Pianist, but nobody is great at both.
Ray Charles did pretty good at disproving that little truism.

"It is almost impossible to free fools from the chains they revere."

Old
  (#15)
Swighey
AzB Silver Member
Swighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond repute

07-15-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecentShot View Post
Nonsense.

Steve Davis played in a handful of 9 Ball World Championships. He made the quarter finals and the last 16 despite not practising the game. In one of those World Championships in Manila, he only played because he got knocked out of a snooker tournament - turned up completely jet lagged and looking like death but still did well. Tony Drago won the World Pool Masters. Mark Selby won world Championships in Snooker and English 8 Ball and was runner- up in Chinese 8 Ball. Neil Robertson went deep in Chinese 8 Ball and cut his gambling teeth playing pool in Australia. Ronnie O’Sullivan played the IPT because there was money in it - watch this space, he will win a major pool tournament one day not because of the money but because he can.

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: