1963 Brunswick Billards promotion

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That ol' pharght standing up and trying the one ball is me!

Some really spectacular bridges there!

A good one. Thanks for the link!!!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did I miss it or did they mention "The Hustler" and the effect it had on pool's popularity?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Did I miss it or did they mention "The Hustler" and the effect it had on pool's popularity?

Brunswick rode that wave without acknowledging it.....HUSTLERS?..:confused:
...they recommended lighting that was atrocious....all over the ceiling....
...places were so bright it made you want to roll over and confess to anything....
....but it left all kinds of shadows on the tables....they wanted to get away from the direct lighting that made the grand touring rooms so great.

But seeing that original rubber made me nostalgic....they went downhill on that one.

And the AZers that preach against elbow drop might not want to watch the greatest straight pool player hit a ball....he does it a lot.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cue and Cushion Roosevelt Mall, Phila. They had the white GoldCrowns w/ gold cloth and
corner ashtrays. Classiest room in the city. Beautiful room for the times.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've mentioned this before when this video surfaced but out local room -- The Campus Q was one of these original Brunswick rooms. They still have a lot of the original equipment in the room, including the time punch device.

PT you're so right about those ceiling lights -- I've always hated them but not so much because of the shadows but just because it spoils the ambience in the room.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That ol' pharght standing up and trying the one ball is me! ...
Which would make you roughly 143 years old now. Awesome, dood!

There is a carom table in some of the clips and it looks like the shooter is pretty good. The uploader comments say there is no (carom) billiards in the film and the word "pool" is never used. I can believe the "pool" part.

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are any of the rooms this video was made for still in business? Isn't Gold Crown Family Billiards in Florida one of the originals?

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So.......if pool is a participant sport, wonder what exactly a non-participant sport would be lol. As far as the lights, we used to have an old room called Blue Jays that had the ceiling lighting and I could never stand it either - like was said - room was super bright but not great at all on the table. Cool vid, thanks for posting.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
So.......if pool is a participant sport, wonder what exactly a non-participant sport would be lol. As far as the lights, we used to have an old room called Blue Jays that had the ceiling lighting and I could never stand it either - like was said - room was super bright but not great at all on the table. Cool vid, thanks for posting.

A non-participant sport for me is boxing...I have been a fan since I saw Floyd Patterson
KO Hurricane Jackson on an old B/W TV when I was still in grade 5....
...but I aint puttin' on them gloves and climbing into a ring...no way, no how.

pt...hasn't put on the gloves since he was a teenager

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
What a gem of a share, thank you!

Are any of the rooms this video was made for still in business?

The Golden Cue in Albany, NY looked very much like the room in the video even as late as the early 90s. I remember the first time I walked in...I thought I had just been transported back 20 or 30 years. That room is still open today and has visible signs of its earlier heyday. The room still has some of the original (albeit restored) Brunswick gear featured in the video. I remember the room being so clean it bordered on sterile. Today the room features many tournaments and is one of the stops on the Joss Northeast tour.

inside.jpg