Old style Duffern joint pins ?

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

My break cue is an older style Duff.Dot 21 oz. Where the pin is in the shaft. Is there
any place that I can buy 1 or 2 so I can have an extra shaft made for it?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

hank

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael, Howdy;

I had to have one made some time ago and the guy doing the job cut the shaft about 2
or 3 inches up-shaft from the micarta, cut it down to about 1/2 diameter then cored a
new shaft for the "plug". Glued it together and it appeared to me to work very well.

Is this how you'd go about it or are you suggesting creating one from scratch when you
said " Ohhh. That one. Lol
1/2x13 with the smaller hole for the shank. I made one out of phenolic. For a mandrell for the butt. I used 1/2 x13 brass. It machines easier. "

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

hank

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael, Howdy;

I had to have one made some time ago and the guy doing the job cut the shaft about 2
or 3 inches up-shaft from the micarta, cut it down to about 1/2 diameter then cored a
new shaft for the "plug". Glued it together and it appeared to me to work very well.

Is this how you'd go about it or are you suggesting creating one from scratch when you
said " Ohhh. That one. Lol
1/2x13 with the smaller hole for the shank. I made one out of phenolic. For a mandrell for the butt. I used 1/2 x13 brass. It machines easier. "

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

hank

Morning Hank:
The easiest route is to check with Mr. Mason. If that fails then yes, making one is a great option. Not the same cue but I had a simular job on an odd ball
Example coming

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMG_20190118_105805.jpg
IMG_20190118_105819.jpg
IMG_20190118_105830.jpg

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have lots of them in wood. Let me know the diameter you need and I will check mine. $20 plus $5 shipping.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael, Howdy;

Beautiful work wit the Brass.

Have been thinking and it seems that the Duff pin is a 3 part composite, Brass pin,
Aluminum collar, and Micarta base. Plus some sort of adhesive to hold it all together.
Might need to get the local guy to deconstruct one to build one. That is if the collar
doesn't fit when I can get my hands on one. Probably going around the block to go
next door :rolleyes: .

Any thoughts?

hank

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mase, Howdy;

I have lots of them in wood. Let me know the diameter you need and I will check mine. $20 plus $5 shipping.

Thanks for jumpin' in, the more the merrier. :grin:

What exactly do you have in wood? Older Duff Joints??? Got any pix? How many for
the 20 bucks ???

hank

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Dufferin went out of business I bought a lot of their unfinished cues and materials. I have a number of unfinished shafts with the pin in it. I would cut the shaft and just send you the part with the pin. They are $20 each.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael, Howdy;

Beautiful work wit the Brass.

Have been thinking and it seems that the Duff pin is a 3 part composite, Brass pin,
Aluminum collar, and Micarta base. Plus some sort of adhesive to hold it all together.
Might need to get the local guy to deconstruct one to build one. That is if the collar
doesn't fit when I can get my hands on one. Probably going around the block to go
next door :rolleyes: .

Any thoughts?

hank

Thank you. Funny part is. I did the threads with a split die by hand. Split dies are the nuts and fun to practice with. For what you need, Mr Mason is the easiest route. He can even just make you the shaft. He's good people to know.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mase, Howdy;

When Dufferin went out of business I bought a lot of their unfinished cues and materials. I have a number of unfinished shafts with the pin in it. I would cut the shaft and just send you the part with the pin. They are $20 each.

Ok, see where you were coming from now. I'm sometimes a bit thick ... :rolleyes:

Need to ask a question or 2, maybe 3,

The unfinished shafts, do they already have the ferrule or not? If already attached how
thick is the dowel that it's attached to. My old one turned tomato stake, had a dowel about 3/16", so, I ask to see what is "nermal".

How much variance between the different widths in the joints surfaces, if any? I ask
as the butt I have is a Duff. DOT 21 oz. I just have a cheap Digital Caliper from
Harbor Freight. So, Aluminum collar measures Approx. 0.84" , inner aluminum collar
measures, approx. 0.58", minus the clear finish (it was bubbling off so I cleaned it all
up), the brass pin itself is 0.50" but ... you knew that already.

I reckon that if you have a pin that suits my needs we can just go that way and I'll
have the local guy build me another shaft to fit on the end of that. Sound good to you? Feels better then trying to track down one that's the right diameter on Fleabay.

Thanks for taking the time to put up with my questions and ramblings.

hank

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael, Howdy;

Thanks for all your help, may not appear to be from your end but, helped cut through the
forest for me. Saving a lot of time and possible unnecessary expenses.

Thanks again for you assistance.

hank

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael, Howdy;

Thanks for all your help, may not appear to be from your end but, helped cut through the
forest for me. Saving a lot of time and possible unnecessary expenses.

Thanks again for you assistance.

hank

Your welcome.
For your digital caliper. Harbor freights can vary all over the place. You don't have to pay top dollar for one. You can get an inexpensive one at home depot. Husky brand works very well.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael, Howdy;

Thanks for tip about Calipers. Next time I go to Las Cruces, I'll pick one up.
60 miles so I tend to combine errands then go and knock out as many as I can.
Left overs go on the next list. chuckle.

hank

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mase, Howdy;

Ok, see where you were coming from now. I'm sometimes a bit thick ... :rolleyes:

Need to ask a question or 2, maybe 3,

The unfinished shafts, do they already have the ferrule or not? If already attached how
thick is the dowel that it's attached to. My old one turned tomato stake, had a dowel about 3/16", so, I ask to see what is "nermal".

How much variance between the different widths in the joints surfaces, if any? I ask
as the butt I have is a Duff. DOT 21 oz. I just have a cheap Digital Caliper from
Harbor Freight. So, Aluminum collar measures Approx. 0.84" , inner aluminum collar
measures, approx. 0.58", minus the clear finish (it was bubbling off so I cleaned it all
up), the brass pin itself is 0.50" but ... you knew that already.

I reckon that if you have a pin that suits my needs we can just go that way and I'll
have the local guy build me another shaft to fit on the end of that. Sound good to you? Feels better then trying to track down one that's the right diameter on Fleabay.

Thanks for taking the time to put up with my questions and ramblings.

hank

They do not have the ferrule, most are 28 to 28.5" long and most aren't straight. I checked and I have a couple that are just over .840 by 3 or 4 thou.
Some of these are all aluminum and some have the brass insert.