Anybody have any good tips for an opening break shot?

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and I've been dabbling with 14.1 lately. I've tried and tried to get good cue position using the opening break similar to what's in my avatar. I've seen Max Eberle start with the opening shot around 2 inches from the foot string and he cuts it into the side pocket to start a run. What are some other things I can try to get good position?

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I'm a little unsure because you're asking about the opening break shot but the examples you mention are for continuing break shots.

As far as setting up a break shot for practice, the best tip I can give you is to practice them all because you will need all of them. The classic side of stack is good. As you mentioned, some players will start with a break shot into the side pocket. The key here is to make sure you hit the top of the stack and not the side of it.

There is also the side pocket break shot where you have the CB and the OB very close to the side pocket virtually kissing with the OB dead into the side. Barely grazing the OB, the CB then caroms and heads full bore into the top of the stack.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the forum and 14.1!!!!!!!!

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as setting up a break shot for practice, try them all because you will need them all. The classic side of stack is good. As you mentioned, some players will start with a break shot into the side pocket. The key here is to make sure you hit the top of the stack and not the side of it.

That would be my problem. When I'm practicing and I start the opening break shot, I'm usually hitting the 2nd or 3rd ball in the stack. Resulting in my cue ball going wild and the stack not opening up very much.

marknyc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a subject for Steve Lipsky. See if you can get him to post on this.

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and I've been dabbling with 14.1 lately. I've tried and tried to get good cue position using the opening break similar to what's in my avatar. I've seen Max Eberle start with the opening shot around 2 inches from the foot string and he cuts it into the side pocket to start a run. What are some other things I can try to get good position?

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Practice

It is best to always take different break shots from different areas. This is good practice b/c one never knows where ones opponent will leave them after a miss (depending on how many balls are on the table). If you do practice the side of the rack break shots most of all. Practice going into the rack in different areas to get use to how the rack will open up when striking certain areas of the rack.
Also, you state that the rack does not always open up properly. Make sure the table is clean & also the balls. That will always help. If you do get a poor break out. Play it out and try to open up the rack b/c during matches the racks will many times act the same way. Get use to dealing with this problem. It all comes down to practice, practice, practice. Hope all this helps.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the quick responses fellas! I'm going to try different break spots tomorrow morning. Thanks again for the advice!

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

"Play Your Best Straight Pool" by Phil Capelle has a whole chapter on break shots. Must reading if you want to improve your Straight Pool game.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Break Shots

Here is something Steve Lipsky put together some years back. It is hard to read but you could probably use ctrl+ to make it larger or maybe someone has a better version.

Attachments

• lipskybreaks.jpg
    lipskybreaks.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 174