G-core tip replacement

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
Does a g core ferrule come with/need a tip pad?

The ferrule has one now, does it come from the factory with one/need one?

Customer wants a Kamui clear and I figured it would look funny to have the black pad then the clear. I looked on the Mcdermott website and couldn't find anything about a carbon pad.

I'll leave it if necessary.

Thanks,
Rodney

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I have done many g-cores...and most had no pad. Only a few had a fiber pad, and were added by the last guy, at the customer's request. They are not needed
HTH,
Dave

Ipmtim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great info.
Just getting into tip changes and my 1st is a G core.
Mine came from the factory with a black pad and I was wondering if it needed it.

So just to be clear I should remove the old pad or can I clean it up and put tip on top of the pad?
TIA,
Tim

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great info.
Mine came from the factory with a black pad and I was wondering if it needed it.

So just to be clear I should remove the old pad or can I clean it up and put tip on top of the pad?
TIA,
Tim

If it came from the factory with a pad, the factory thinks it needs to be on there - or at least that it helps prevent splitting of the shaft. Leave it on.
My 2 cents,
Gary

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Great info.

TIA,
Tim

If it came that way, do not remove it. Did you order the shaft from a supplier site and have the tip changed? The reason I ask is that they come with a black navagator tip and if it was changed, it maybe part of the new tip.
http://www.mcdermottcue.com/mcdermott_gcore_shafts.php

Ipmtim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it came that way, do not remove it. Did you order the shaft from a supplier site and have the tip changed? The reason I ask is that they come with a black navagator tip and if it was changed, it maybe part of the new tip.
http://www.mcdermottcue.com/mcdermott_gcore_shafts.php

I actually have 2 shafts. a 13mm purchased with the cue came with an everest tip and it has a pad. Later I purchased a 12mm shaft that came with the navigator tip and since it's black, hard to tell, but I think there is a pad under that one as well.
Nobody has touched these shafts.
Glad I found this thread, I'll leave the pad in place.
Thanks. :thumbup:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I actually have 2 shafts. a 13mm purchased with the cue came with an everest tip and it has a pad. Later I purchased a 12mm shaft that came with the navigator tip and since it's black, hard to tell, but I think there is a pad under that one as well.
Nobody has touched these shafts.
Glad I found this thread, I'll leave the pad in place.
Thanks. :thumbup:

If the everest tip has a red pad, that is part of the tip, not the shaft and is not needed. That is just to help with installation. The other one, probably looks like a pad, as it has absorbed the glue used to install it. the bottom layer usually gets a little discolored compared to the other layers.
20190109_202425.jpg

Ipmtim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I thought the red stripe was a wear marker to tell you when your tip is worn out. lol
I'll try to get a picture, and figure out how to attach it tonight.
There is definitely a black pad below the red part.
Thanks for your help.
Tim

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
A brand new Everest tip bought to be installed by a cue guy, has a red pad glued to the bottom of the tip, and is to be sanded flat and then glued to the cue. There is the red line in the tip, but that is not the same red pad I am talking about. There should be a red pad as the first thing between a ferrule and the tip...you may have an old/new stock tip before tiger started putting the red pad on the bottom.
Either way, McDermott on their site, doesn't show, nor mention a pad needed between the tip and ferrule. The real way to clear this up is to contact McDermott and ask

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I just got off the phone with a McDermott customer sevice rep.
His word are all G Core shafts have a pad between tip and ferrule.
I did double check thru an email to their service people and their response was:
"Yes, we use a .030” black fiber tip pad between the ferrule and tip on the G-core shaft. It’s difficult to illustrate that on our website when the tip is black as well."
So I was incorrect and Stand corrected.
DAve

Ipmtim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since I'm new at this tip changing thing,
where would I get a new pad if I screw mine up?