Best shafts ever produced.

bstroud

Deceased
its mostly the balls that have changed golf more than the clubs.

most though not all equipment changes are in the mind rather than real.

do you really think the newer players with artificial shafts play better than players of old because of the newer cue equipment. i think its mostly the cloth has changed and we all have air conditioning.

I have to agree with you.

If you have a stroke and know how to play position you can play with any shaft.

Bill Stroud

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
M y goodness
A re
P eople
L eery of your
E xplanation?

Nice to see this old thread come back to life, reminds me of the 100 year old cues I convert now and then. I have one from around 1905 and the wood is fantastic after a recut.

I also have in my collection the real Cue of the future, yes you guessed it, Aluminum.

M ade
A luminum,,,,
P layers
L ost
E verything

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not saying shaft width actually gets you closer to the miscue limit. 11.8mm, 12.4mm, 12.9mm and 13mm are all capable of hitting the miscue limit. They all can hit it with the edge of the tip. But visually it will look different with different shafts. So if you don’t calibrate to that visual, you can find yourself delivering less spin than the cue is capable of or more spin than you usually do. Even then, maximum spin is rare to use and not what people hit when testing a cue.

question (to whomever): does safely reaching the miscue limit with different diameter tips require the cue to be angled any different?

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
question (to whomever): does safely reaching the miscue limit with different diameter tips require the cue to be angled any different?

Not in my understanding. Miscuing is about a forward force being too far from the center of mass and being unable to grab. Not miscuing is about being marginally closer to the center of mass.

Nobody wants to thread the needle and hit the exact point of tolerance because there’s too little margin for error. The safe zone to address for good action is further out than a novice can consistently address but is still far enough inside that I wouldn’t worry about the shape or width of the tip being able to make good contact every time with a level cue.

Angling the cue may still come in play for players that pivot for sidespin or for elevated shots but that comes in play for reasons other than how the contact is made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not in my understanding. Miscuing is about a forward force being too far from the center of mass and being unable to grab. Not miscuing is about being marginally closer to the center of mass.

Nobody wants to thread the needle and hit the exact point of tolerance because there’s too little margin for error. The safe zone to address for good action is further out than a novice can consistently address but is still far enough inside that I wouldn’t worry about the shape or width of the tip being able to make good contact every time with a level cue.

Angling the cue may still come in play for players that pivot for sidespin or for elevated shots but that comes in play for reasons other than how the contact is made.

gotcha..thanks for a thoughtful reply, matt
I haven't read much about cue angle in general
but I find the idea interesting
thanks again

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Angling the cue may still come in play for players that pivot for sidespin
I’m not sure if you’re saying the same thing, but every cue must be angled on every side spin shot to compensate for squirt - in other words, everybody “pivots for sidespin”.

pj
chgo

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not sure if you’re saying the same thing, but every cue must be angled on every side spin shot to compensate for squirt - in other words, everybody “pivots for sidespin”.

pj

chgo

Relative to the center of the cueball (and your intended trajectory), of course. Relative to the center of your stance? I’m not certain.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Put a house cue in Jayson Shaw's hands and he would still be Jayson Shaw and you would be doomed! :rolleyes:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have tried 3 carbon fiber shafts and i don't like them

not that i play so good,i just play better with my old fashion maple
shafts

for years i played my best golf with a wood putter also
i did switch to steel shafts

i started using a brass headed bulls eye putter and that was as far as i got

the ping putter was not for me,but everyone else loves them

maybe pool shafts are individual things
feature
but they feel funny to me
the biggest plus is the non dink and indestructible

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Please don't tell anyone but a well made one piece cue (Dufferin!) may well provide the best hit on the cue ball, even better than ANY custom made cue or shaft! I know that's blasphemy but even the top cue makers know what I'm talking about. I'll let someone like Billy S. explain that to you if he so desires. In fact I'm surprised that some pro players don't carry a one piece cue. They yet may some day. Weenie Beenie and Cornbread Red both used one piece cues quite successfully in their day.

Last edited:

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me thinks...

I don't think there has ever been a shaft made that will turn me or most pool players into "world beaters". I think the "world beaters" would be a "world beater" with maple, LD or the new synthetic shafts.

Hell, we all know that. But, if one thinks it helps there game it probably will.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Relative to the center of the cueball (and your intended trajectory), of course. Relative to the center of your stance? I’m not certain.
Of course you can angle your stance different ways relative to the shot line - whatever you’re comfortable with.

pj
chgo

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course you can angle your stance different ways relative to the shot line - whatever you’re comfortable with.

pj

chgo

I was responding to the question whether it was mandatory to angle the cue in any specific way to get good action on the cueball. My response was that it wasn’t necessary for imparting more spin. But it may be optional for things like aiming, overcoming obstructions, and compensating deflection.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I was responding to the question whether it was mandatory to angle the cue in any specific way to get good action on the cueball. My response was that it wasn’t necessary for imparting more spin. But it may be optional for things like aiming, overcoming obstructions, and compensating deflection.
Oh, OK.

pj
chgo

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing with a pool buddy who's always chasing the
latest CF or LD shaft.. spending too much time and $$..
he wasn't too happy about the CF shaft he was playing
with that night.. I handed him my old Scruggs four pointer
which is my main player, with original old growth Scruggs
shaft.. I said hit a few. The look on his face... priceless..:eek:

And I think the takeaway from this also is:
Stop changing cues and shafts, find something you
play well with, and STICK TO IT, get used to every
thing the cue can do... or else you're always compensating
for a different hit. My $.02 and change!

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I was playing with a pool buddy who's always chasing the
latest CF or LD shaft.. spending too much time and $$..
he wasn't too happy about the CF shaft he was playing
with that night.. I handed him my old Scruggs four pointer
which is my main player, with original old growth Scruggs
shaft.. I said hit a few. The look on his face... priceless..:eek:

And I think the takeaway from this also is:
Stop changing cues and shafts, find something you
play well with, and STICK TO IT, get used to every
thing the cue can do... or else you're always compensating
for a different hit. My $.02 and change!

Bingo! Good to know I'm not alone in this thinking. Ahhh, but those always searching for that elusive "best" cue, shaft, chalk, tip, etc.? They are great for the pool industry economy. So, best we don't knock them too much.

(edit) I'm also remembering when I went through that "searching" stage...

Last edited:

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please don't tell anyone but a well made one piece cue (Dufferin!) may well provide the best hit on the cue ball, even better than ANY custom made cue or shaft! I know that's blasphemy but even the top cue makers know what I'm talking about. I'll let someone like Billy S. explain that to you if he so desires. In fact I'm surprised that some pro players don't carry a one piece cue. They yet may some day. Weenie Beenie and Cornbread Red both used one piece cues quite successfully in their day.

My dad would sneak in his one piece 19 oz Dufferin to play with. ;) (back in the 80s) I remember he had 5 or 6 at home he would doctor the tips, clean up, etc. They were stored right beside his two piece cues.