need to straighten my stroke

Joules

Registered
I shoot right handed.

My right hand is off the shot line about an inch to the inside. On most shots (at certain speeds) I naturally compensate for this and cue across the ball and end up with my tip about a half tip off center to the left in the finish position.

When I do the center line drill the cue ball consistent comes back about a ball to the left of my cue. When I try to go 4 table lengths the consistency goes way down.

When I move my right hand over an inch it looks like i'm aiming about 2 inches offline with my stick. If I shoot a couple thousand shots like this will my vision adjust and start seeing this as the new straight?

I have my chin over the cue. I've played around with vision center so that everything looks straight when it is actually straight and that puts my head way left of where I normally shoot. I didn't like this head position and there was nothing to anchor it for consistency.

How do I fix this?

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shoot right handed.

My right hand is off the shot line about an inch to the inside. On most shots (at certain speeds) I naturally compensate for this and cue across the ball and end up with my tip about a half tip off center to the left in the finish position.

When I do the center line drill the cue ball consistent comes back about a ball to the left of my cue. When I try to go 4 table lengths the consistency goes way down.

When I move my right hand over an inch it looks like i'm aiming about 2 inches offline with my stick. If I shoot a couple thousand shots like this will my vision adjust and start seeing this as the new straight?

I have my chin over the cue. I've played around with vision center so that everything looks straight when it is actually straight and that puts my head way left of where I normally shoot. I didn't like this head position and there was nothing to anchor it for consistency.

How do I fix this?

Check your vision center when you're down on the shot by closing one eye and then the other. Your right eye will look like it is looking across the shot. I suspect you are right eye dominant and need to move your head very slightly to the left of center. The cue stick should be slightly right, by your tear duct. This will help with your cue ball coming back to your tip with no spin.

If you see an improvement, there are a few more things you can do to fix your setup.

Best,
Mike

Joules

Registered
fixed!

Mike,

That worked like a magic trick. Didn't have to move my right hand at all just my head and everything straighten out immediately. I ended up on the the cue on the right corner of my chin. Even some 4 table lengths were even coming back within a ball.

Anbukev,

Thanks for the links - I have plenty more to work on so I'll try that stroke drill while I'm working on the other stuff with my stroke.

Thanks for the help,
Joules

RWOJO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Head position

It is funny how head position being off a little changes our perception of what we see an what we are really lined up for.

How I test students head position. Place a piece of chalk on the head rail over the middle diamond with the corner of the chalk pointing toward the foot spot. Lay a cue from the foot rail, over the foot spot and point it right at the chalk. Have the student lean over the table and slowly move back and forth until they see the chalk is pointed directly at the middle of the chalk. This is the one position where their head lines up with eye dominance and everything is in line.

Note: if you setup the test and stand a foot or 2 left of the cue, the cue looks to be pointed to the right of the chalk. If you stand to the right of the cue it appears to be pointed to the left of the chalk. This is exaggerated.

So after we find out not only which eye is dominant but how dominant, it is important to have your head in this position when aiming standing as well as when your down on the shot.