Billiards and Bars

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Interesting. Good read. I have no Brunswick-Balke-Collender bar, but I've had my old 1924 table for 20 years.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is an example from their 1890 catalog. (Sorry for quality -- it's a scan of a photocopy.) They made standard lengths of 12 to 30 feet depending on the model and they had about 30 models. This is one of the plainer models but the only one with naked ladies. The price for a basic 12-foot bar back was $100.

Misc 001.jpg

Last edited:

Wieguns

Banger
Silver Member
Appreciate the post. Nice read while driving though Kansas on the way back to MN.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am glad Brunswick holds on to their pooltable business. It’s a small % of there business but has great history.

Besides Lincoln, didn’t Grant have a Brunswick table?

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great read, thanks. I worked in gin mills, sports bars and clubs for 20+ years and always liked the ones with a classic back bar.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This article answered some long lost questions for me.

1977-81 I was stationed at Malmstrom AFB, outside of Great Falls, MT. The only pool of any consequence were bar table leagues and I played in *a bunch* of them: men's singles, scotch doubles, and the tournaments. Every so often, one of the teams I was on would have to play another team in some adjoining, not so close to Great Falls community, or, myself and a young lady who was a very accomplished player, would go out trolling for bar table action. And so there'd be the drive out past the base into the Montana country side, to some berg with a bar and a pool table.

And low and behold... there would be a bar. Old and crusty as all get out, with one or two Valley tables, and a huge long bar straight out of the Old West. Well, let me correct that: straight out of the Old West as Hollywood or the creators of "Lonesome Dove" imagined it.

Dark, ornate, mirrors all across, and curly-cued wood. I could never figure out why, out in the middle of literally nowhere, these fantastical bars had been installed in the poorest of locales.

Now I know why.

Lou Figueroa

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This article answered some long lost questions for me.

1977-81 I was stationed at Malmstrom AFB, outside of Great Falls, MT. The only pool of any consequence were bar table leagues and I played in *a bunch* of them: men's singles, scotch doubles, and the tournaments. Every so often, one of the teams I was on would have to play another team in some adjoining, not so close to Great Falls community, or, myself and a young lady who was a very accomplished player, would go out trolling for bar table action. And so there'd be the drive out past the base into the Montana country side, to some berg with a bar and a pool table.

And low and behold... there would be a bar. Old and crusty as all get out, with one or two Valley tables, and a huge long bar straight out of the Old West. Well, let me correct that: straight out of the Old West as Hollywood or the creators of "Lonesome Dove" imagined it.

Dark, ornate, mirrors all across, and curly-cued wood. I could never figure out why, out in the middle of literally nowhere, these fantastical bars had been installed in the poorest of locales.

Now I know why.

Lou Figueroa

As much as I travel I sure hope I run into one of these old relics.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
...Today, the Brunswick Company remains a billiards powerhouse, and has expanded into foosball tables and exercise equipment in recent years.

Hewing to its roots, the company’s website notes that it is “dedicated to creating new games that enable families to put down their electronic devices and engage in friendly competition and conversation.”...

Powerhouse of pool? I question that "fact."

I did read yesterday that young kids are bored with their phones and the internet. This could good news for pool.

Great article with some nice photos.

Jeff Livingston