Should Pro Pool Players Pay Attention to Social Media?

Should Pro Players Pay Attention to Social Media?

• Yes

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • No

Votes: 17 45.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I realize that our pool world is kind of a fractured subculture in the wonderful world of sports. Most professional players are not sponsored with funds to help them travel the globe, and those that are, the expenses may sometimes outweigh the income.

Social media outlets like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Billiards Digest, and AzBilliards are frequented by most professional players. Traveling the globe, practicing, getting ready to travel, and if they have a family, spending quality time at home, I can see how there is little time to acknowledge social media avenues.

Yet, players like Jayson Shaw, Rodney Morris, Sky Woodward, Ralph Eckert, Alex Levy, Jeremy Jones, John Schmidt, Marcus Chamat, David Alcaide, Justin and Pia Filler, and a few others do seem to find the time to acknowledge and reply to pool fans who throw a few accolades their way from time to time.

There are others, however, who do not pay attention to their pool fans and/or social media. A child who received an autograph or a railbird who gets a photo taken with a pro or a fan who gets a "like" on a Facebook post by a pro goes a long way as far as publicity.

In NFL, MLB, golf, tennis, this is almost impossible for fans to connect with the champs, but in pool, we live in a different world, I think.

This is a blind poll, so lurkers can vote. :) Also, if you feel compelled, please share your thoughts. Should pro pool players be more involved in social media to their fan base?

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
In general I think most pool players need a "How to 101".

This is what I say when I win a tourney. Thank my sponsors (by name...not just "my sponsors"). Thank the tourney organizer(s)...by name. Congratulate your opponent who made it tough on you etc.

Social media. How to use it. What to show. What not to show. Areas of discussion to stay away from (politics, religion, etc). Frequency. Tell people where you are going to be. Show people where you went. Stuff like this:
https://www.facebook.com/max.eberle...445168568/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab
https://www.facebook.com/max.eberle.79/videos/vb.707113567/10156539445168568/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab

and again. THANK YOUR SPONSORS BY NAME. All of them. It doesn't matter how small. Even if all you get is free chalk.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In general I think most pool players need a "How to 101".

This is what I say when I win a tourney. Thank my sponsors (by name...not just "my sponsors"). Thank the tourney organizer(s)...by name. Congratulate your opponent who made it tough on you etc.

Social media. How to use it. What to show. What not to show. Areas of discussion to stay away from (politics, religion, etc). Frequency. Tell people where you are going to be. Show people where you went. Stuff like this:
https://www.facebook.com/max.eberle...445168568/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab
https://www.facebook.com/max.eberle.79/videos/vb.707113567/10156539445168568/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab

and again. THANK YOUR SPONSORS BY NAME. All of th
em. It doesn't matter how small. Even if all you get is free chalk.

Oh, yes! Good, good, good ideas for sure.

Max Eberle was incredibly generous with this social media posts in Russia and back home in Vegas. How could I forget him! I really enjoyed his photos of Russia and commentary on the threads. He truly is very in touch with his fans, and I'm one of them.

Plus, he hails from my neck of the woods originally. Gotta root for the home team! :cool:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Every positive thing they do on social media brings more viewers, and the only way pool will ever be on TV again is if the game has enough people wanting to watch.

I dont know how "there's no such thing as bad publicity" would work today, I get the feeling it's not the same as before, but wanting to see a guy lose is still a great reason to watch.

2 sides to everything I guess.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely! Well, except for the fact that social media is a cesspool of deception, marketing, tracking, invasion of privacy, and false social interactions that substitute for real ones, where people think they’re the customer but they’re actually the product being sold. Yeah except for all that, everyone should do it!

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Absolutely! Well, except for the fact that social media is a cesspool of deception, marketing, tracking, invasion of privacy, and false social interactions that substitute for real ones, where people think they’re the customer but they’re actually the product being sold. Yeah except for all that, everyone should do it!

Lol I voted no but figure they probably should if they want to stay current and have fans and such. Personally I think it’s a fake world that you describe pretty well ;) I’ve had people not trust me because I said I didn’t have a Facebook

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If every other major sports figure in the world is using it as a platform? It would be ironic for a sport that wants exposure to shy away from it. Its the new paradigm, not everyone will be responsible, which is part of the fun.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In most professional sports the athletes don't interact with fans because they don't have to nor do they need to.

They do just fine....

Our sport, well, it's a world of it's own. The pool world is HUGE......but, the community is extremely small. Just can't compare anything pool to any other sport.

Heck, most pool players don't consider pro pool player's athletes. It's crazy. You have to be a fine-tuned machine to play at the elite levels of today's pro pool.

I guess since Efren couldn't bench press 500 lbs he wasn't an athlete.....poohey...

Earl was a genius on many levels. Earl knew he was much more than average athlete. He knew, and still does know that he is still an athlete.

It would be nice to see our sport treated on the same level as golf, tennis etc...etc. If that ever happens, well, they will no longer need to be connected to the fans. They may choose to but, have to...naw.

Jeff

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
In real sports, the players can afford to pay people to do it for them.

But I am probably not the right one to ask. This place and a few other "hobby" forums are the extent of my social media footprint. I fully understand what facebook, Instagram, Twitter and the rest are. I simply choose to have nothing to do with it all. Zero. I'm sure there is plenty of good to come from it at times but it doesn't appeal to me even a little.

And from what I've seen, the more famous or athletically abled the person is the more insufferable their posts will be.

That's great, you sent me a picture of your fish tacos...thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I realize that our pool world is kind of a fractured subculture in the wonderful world of sports. Most professional players are not sponsored with funds to help them travel the globe, and those that are, the expenses may sometimes outweigh the income.

Social media outlets like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Billiards Digest, and AzBilliards are frequented by most professional players. Traveling the globe, practicing, getting ready to travel, and if they have a family, spending quality time at home, I can see how there is little time to acknowledge social media avenues.

Yet, players like Jayson Shaw, Rodney Morris, Sky Woodward, Ralph Eckert, Alex Levy, Jeremy Jones, John Schmidt, Marcus Chamat, David Alcaide, Justin and Pia Filler, and a few others do seem to find the time to acknowledge and reply to pool fans who throw a few accolades their way from time to time.

There are others, however, who do not pay attention to their pool fans and/or social media. A child who received an autograph or a railbird who gets a photo taken with a pro or a fan who gets a "like" on a Facebook post by a pro goes a long way as far as publicity.

In NFL, MLB, golf, tennis, this is almost impossible for fans to connect with the champs, but in pool, we live in a different world, I think.

This is a blind poll, so lurkers can vote. :) Also, if you feel compelled, please share your thoughts. Should pro pool players be more involved in social media to their fan base?

They should not.

Broadly speaking, they do not have the temperament, wit, nor the written language skills for the milieu.

Lou Figueroa

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nice point
pool is accessible in ways that other sports aren't
if you're in business, that should be a selling point
but at least, it's something we as fans can appreciate
and use to our individual, and collective advantage

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because there is no real controlling organization in pool - at least one that makes money and pays the players well - the players have to do it on their own.

Pool is an activity that has a huge pool of participants and a very small pool of dedicated viewers.

Pool players have an opportunity to become social media sensations and capitalize on it with related products or merchandise.

But most can't.

Most people can't. Forget pool players.

It's a tough business but it's possible. If you haven't watched Rollie Williams video of a lesson with Dr. Dave you should. He is a smart, funny creative dude that is creating his own youtube content. I predict he will be a millionaire at some point. Probably not from his current pool endeavors but they will lead to other things which will lead to other things...

He has videos with 575K views. That's where the advertising money starts to be more than parking meter money. Almost dinner + travel expenses.

If a player could humanize themself and connect with fans and then make videos poking fun of and sharing their ups and downs as a pro player...there is a possibility. The key is converting participants into viewers. Obviously instructional videos are a possibility.

But the more time they spend on that the less time they have to practice, so...

The women seem to do this better than the men. Emily Duddy comes to mind.

Several of the top pros are posting regularly to facebook. As a viewer it's really fun for me to connect with them that way. Though by ourselves, the viewers are not enough to sustain them.

As a participant who likes to play at the pub on Friday nights...there is nothing to draw me in. Nothing to make me part with either my cash or my eyeballs.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
They should not.

Broadly speaking, they do not have the temperament, wit, nor the written language skills for the milieu.

Lou Figueroa

I laughed out loud reading this. Freakin knuckle draggers! Pool does seem to attract some less than savory characters. I’m all for criminality and debauchery but for God’s sake man do it with some style, respect, and decent grammar.

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know. Players might be better off staying away from it. I mean, I can see it now. Some rail bird loses a big bet on a match, and then goes on social media to call out a player. Next thing you know, it blows up into a Jermaine Whitehead situation.

Each individual player will have to decide if they want to jump into that potential fire.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know. Players might be better off staying away from it. I mean, I can see it now. Some rail bird loses a big bet on a match, and then goes on social media to call out a player. Next thing you know, it blows up into a Jermaine Whitehead situation.

Each individual player will have to decide if they want to jump into that potential fire.

I've seen some of what you describe right here on AZ. And that particular pro doesn't post here anymore. So I vote no, but it could have some advantages along with the disadvantages.

CharlesUFarley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
THIS.

I believe social media is ruining/has ruined our society. Our youth today are literally walking zombies addicted to the dopamine rush of the validation that comes with "likes", "friends", and "followers". Most of them are extremely difficult to have an actual conversation with. They are, by the standards of anyone over 35 years old, socially awkward.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Hire a PR manager, even if only for a lesson, if you plan on self-directing your social media presence.

Keep your personal beliefs and/or grudges off of the fan page.

Tailor the message to the audience, and be aware it can be shared.

Project a professional appearance and remember that people can always find your old posts so make sure you are committed to what you are saying. Think of your internet history like a face tattoo because you will live with it.

----

Here's an example: Someone believes in chem-trails and likes to share their thoughts on how, "They", are all out to get us. Myself, being a billiards product manufacturer might want to sponsor a few players to get my company's name out there. The snag is that, I actually worked for an airline for nearly 10 years. I find it incredibly insulting that someone claims I am deliberately poisoning people with secret fluids leaking out everywhere. They don't get my sponsorship because of those posts. They never will either.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

THIS.

I believe social media is ruining/has ruined our society. Our youth today are literally walking zombies addicted to the dopamine rush of the validation that comes with "likes", "friends", and "followers". Most of them are extremely difficult to have an actual conversation with. They are, by the standards of anyone over 35 years old, socially awkward.

Both 100% correct.

Some delusional people actually believe that they have 5,000 friends....and 10,000 "likes", when they're actually 1/2 bots and 1/2 strangers.

It certainly is a great scam...and, yes, the individual and his information is the "product", to be sold, resold, and sold again.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Yes, absolutely they should be on social media marketing themselves, putting their name out there, selling stuff, whatever it takes.

Folks take cheap shots at Emily but she has done just that and built a little career for herself. Good, bad or indifferent, she's getting paid. What's wrong with that.

It's not the wordsmithing they need to have, its the temperament. Just a few thank you's and playing nice would go a long way. Ignore the "knockers".

Plus, if they had a strong SM presence, some smart marketing folks might put a few coins in their pocket to push their goods. Just saying.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hi there! Hope you have been good.

I don’t do social media, only message boards. However if I was a pro player you can be certain I’d have a big social media machine behind me. I’d promote the hell out of myself and pool. I’d take the high road and not get into wars, I’d stay focused on building “My” brand for the benefit of myself and pool and my fans in no particular order all are necessary.

Anyone who has gained fame from something outside “social” should parlay that with “social”. If they don’t they are short sighted and not making the most of the gift that that have. Pool, golf, basketball, chess etc. don’t matter the game/sport or entertainment.

To me that’s simple logic. Make hay while the sun shines.

As for myself, meh-I’ll lay low and take it as it comes. I stopped trying to conquer the world 10? Years ago. So I elected to stay 100% away from all that noise.

Hope your well,

Fatboy

PS Mary K and I talk and she keeps me in the loop. She’s the best!