Reload this Page Help identify early Adam carom cue
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Help identify early Adam carom cue
Old
  (#1)
NathanDetroit
AzB Bronze Member
NathanDetroit has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDetroit has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDetroit has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDetroit has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDetroit has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDetroit has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDetroit has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDetroit has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDetroit has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDetroit has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDetroit has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Help identify early Adam carom cue - 11-16-2019, 02:07 PM

Not sure when Adam made a metal joint pin. Anyone has ab idea, please let me know.

Old
  (#2)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

11-16-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanDetroit View Post
Not sure when Adam made a metal joint pin. Anyone has ab idea, please let me know.
Could you be any more vague? Got any pics of cue in question?

Old
  (#3)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

11-16-2019, 02:46 PM

If you Google "ADAM carom cue" and click "Images" you see a lot that have metal joint screws. No way to tell what year as finding ADAM catalog info is basically impossible.

Old
  (#4)
NathanDetroit
AzB Bronze Member
NathanDetroit has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDetroit has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDetroit has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDetroit has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDetroit has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDetroit has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDetroit has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDetroit has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDetroit has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDetroit has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDetroit has a reputation beyond repute

11-16-2019, 05:29 PM

Sorry, pics did not post. Will try that, again.

BTW, the metal pins are at base of shaft like the full wood pins you see when you google as suggested above

Old
  (#5)
garczar
AzB Silver Member

11-16-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:

BTW, the metal pins are at base of shaft like the full wood pins you see when you google as suggested above
I've never seen an ADAM billiard cue with metal screw on the shaft. You might post this in the "Carom" section.

Old
  (#6)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

11-16-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
I've never seen an ADAM billiard cue with metal screw on the shaft. You might post this in the "Carom" section.
I acquired a lot of Adam cues in the early 90s...they were made in the early 80s....
...they were all snooker cues...Dennis Taylor won a title with one....
...about sis hundred of them had the oversize pin in the shaft....
....about 200 of them were aluminum...the rest were wood pins.

So Adam did use that technology...although I had no carom cues from them.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#7)
garczar
AzB Silver Member

11-16-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
I acquired a lot of Adam cues in the early 90s...they were made in the early 80s....
...they were all snooker cues...Dennis Taylor won a title with one....
...about sis hundred of them had the oversize pin in the shaft....
....about 200 of them were aluminum...the rest were wood pins.

So Adam did use that technology...although I had no carom cues from them.
Metal pin shaft is common on snooker cues but almost unheard of on carom cues.

Old
  (#8)
PhilosopherKing
AzB Silver Member
PhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond repute

11-16-2019, 07:20 PM

Maybe one of those entire screw comes out with a stuck shaft jobs?

Old
  (#9)
NathanDetroit
AzB Bronze Member

11-17-2019, 09:38 AM

If pin was stuck, it happened twice to two cues bought separately.

As far as being a snooker cue, the ferrules are over an inch long and not metal.

See if pic attaches this time.
Attached Images

Old
  (#10)
garczar
AzB Silver Member

11-17-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
If pin was stuck, it happened twice to two cues bought separately.

As far as being a snooker cue, the ferrules are over an inch long and not metal.

See if pic attaches this time.
IMO, those look to have been changed from wood to a metal pin. Wood pin could have broken and owner switched to what looks to be brass. Never seen an ADAM carom cue with pins like that. I could be wrong but that's what i think happened here.

Old
  (#11)
garczar
AzB Silver Member

11-17-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
IMO, those look to have been changed from wood to a metal pin. Wood pin could have broken and owner switched to what looks to be brass. Never seen an ADAM carom cue with pins like that. I could be wrong but that's what i think happened here.
The closer i look the more i think i'm on target. Those pins don't match each other. Someone cut off the wood screws and re-placed with these. Maybe wanted more forward balance or one broke and both were switched.

Old
  (#12)
PhilosopherKing
AzB Silver Member
PhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
The closer i look the more i think i'm on target. Those pins don't match each other. Someone cut off the wood screws and re-placed with these. Maybe wanted more forward balance or one broke and both were switched.
They would have had to plug and tap the butt, too, right? I imagine the wood screw would have been much thicker.

Old
  (#13)
garczar
AzB Silver Member

11-17-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilosopherKing View Post
They would have had to plug and tap the butt, too, right? I imagine the wood screw would have been much thicker.
No, they just would have had to match the internal threads on the butt. Its possible a plug/re-tap was done but those threads look coarse enough to me. If one had broken off they would just back it out.

Last edited by garczar; 11-17-2019 at 10:19 AM.

Old
  (#14)
PhilosopherKing
AzB Silver Member

11-17-2019, 10:23 AM

I don’t know about this thing, those ferrules aren’t right for a billiard cue.

Old
  (#15)
PhilosopherKing
AzB Silver Member

11-17-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
No, they just would have had to match the internal threads on the butt. Its possible a plug/re-tap was done but those threads look coarse enough to me. If one had broken off they would just back it out.
Yeah, but it would be like screwing into the Grand Canyon, because the wood pins must be near twice the diameter of what’s shown.

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: