Is this Stroke Crooked … or is it Camera Parallax?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Check out the new video. The results might surprise you. The video also includes a good example jump shot from Corey Deuel.

Enjoy,
Dave
But if the camera is level and centered in the vertical plane of the shot, doesn't the cue have to remain on the vertical center-line of the image for a straight stroke? It seems to me that the camera has to be to one side of the shot to get the "straight-but-looks-crooked" effect.

Also, if the stroke is straight but looks crooked due to camera position, a different camera position should show the stroke bending with the opposite curvature (left-to-right going forward vs. right-to-left).

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Check out the new video. The results might surprise you. The video also includes a good example jump shot from Corey Deuel.
But if the camera is level and centered in the vertical plane of the shot, doesn't the cue have to remain on the vertical center-line of the image for a straight stroke?
Yes. Unfortunately, it is extremely difficult to get the camera aligned perfectly straight, and it wasn't perfectly straight for the shots in the video. Also, when the camera is close to the table like we had it, the effect seems to be exaggerated.

It seems to me that the camera has to be to one side of the shot to get the "straight-but-looks-crooked" effect.
Agreed.

Also, if the stroke is straight but looks crooked due to camera position, a different camera position should show the stroke bending with the opposite curvature (left-to-right going forward vs. right-to-left).
Agreed. I wish I had included this in the video. Where were you when I needed you? ;)

I'm heading down to the basement right now to check it out; although, I probably won't post a follow-up to the follow-up.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave, quick question, hope you don't mind on a different topic but still vaguely in the ballpark.

Snooker players use their chest and chin as points of contact, although due* to the taper of the cue, wouldn't the shaft/tip be forced to the left(for a right-handed player) as the thicker park of the butt pushes against the chest in the stroke?

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave, quick question, hope you don't mind on a different topic but still vaguely in the ballpark.

Snooker players use their chest and chin as points of contact, although do to the taper of the cue, wouldn't the shaft/tip be forced to the left(for a right-handed player) as the thicker park of the butt pushes against the chest in the stroke?
Good point. Although, isn't most of the taper in front of the chest contact point? And doesn't the chest contact the cue more on the top than on the side?

Regardless, as long as the pressure on the chest is maintained, the cue will still return to the same place on the CB as in the "set" position (as with a pendulum stroke).

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looks crooked to me. Looks like some "swoop" goin on.
All of the shots in this video "look" crooked, including Corey's jump shot. That's how optical illusions work. They mislead you into thinking something that is not true.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
All of the shots in this video "look" crooked, including Corey's jump shot. That's how optical illusions work. They mislead you into thinking something that is not true.
FYI to those interested, in response to a point raised by somebody on YouTube, I just added the following NOTE to the bottom of the YouTube video description:

"Samm's stroke looks more crooked than mine in the video for two reasons. The camera angle was slightly different (at a larger angle) with her shot. And as I pointed out in the video, her arm is shorter, which increases the up and down motion (and parallax effect) for a given stroke length."

Regards,
Dave

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you using a cell-phone camera on these vids? Reason i ask is about the only time you encounter camera parallax is when you have a separate lens and viewfinder. You don't have it in SLR-style thru-the-lens cameras.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are you using a cell-phone camera on these vids?
No. I am using a nice Canon camcorder with a zoom lens.

Reason i ask is about the only time you encounter camera parallax is when you have a separate lens and viewfinder. You don't have it in SLR-style thru-the-lens cameras.
I'm not a photography guy, so maybe I am using the wrong terminology? Whatever it is, the effect is obvious in all of the examples in the video.

What would you call it besides "parallax" ... maybe "perspective projection" effect?

Regards,
Dave

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No. I am using a nice Canon camcorder with a zoom lens.

I'm not a photography guy, so maybe I am using the wrong terminology? Whatever it is, the effect is obvious in all of the examples in the video.

What would you call it besides "parallax" ... maybe "perspective projection" effect?

Regards,
Dave
To be honest, on your shot the camera alignment looked much better than on Samm's which looked a tad offset to me.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
To be honest, on your shot the camera alignment looked much better than on Samm's which looked a tad offset to me.
Agreed. I should have been more careful with this. That's why I added the following NOTE to the bottom of the YouTube video description:

"Samm's stroke looks more crooked than mine in the video for two reasons. The camera angle was slightly different (at a larger angle) with her shot. And as I pointed out in the video, her arm is shorter, which increases the up and down motion (and parallax effect) for a given stroke length."

Regards,
Dave

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. I should have been more careful with this. That's why I added the following NOTE to the bottom of the YouTube video description:

Regards,
Dave
BTW, your stroke is waaay straighter than mine right now. My tip sometimes looks like the end of a divining-rod huntin' water. ;)

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i havent read all thereplies
but isnt this another version of vision center effects ?
dr dave
your response appreciated

Last edited:

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another interesting thread!!
I agree, the camera parallax is causing the stroke to look crooked.

But, if you would like to check the straightness of your stoke, try this. You can place use a laser level to place direct straight line between cueball and object ball from one corner pocket to the diagonal corner pocket. Placing the camera, centered side to side and up to down on the shot. But from behind the cueball. Then, use the laser level on the "up-down" mode, showing a vertical laser line centered on the shot. Then shoot the draw shot. The video should show the laser line should split your shoulder & humerus and show how straight you stroke is.

BTW, I believe that Dr Dave would not show a completely straight stroke. Just like my stroke! We both have the stroke shoulder heavily outside of the shot line. And we have a more squared up shot. To accomplish a completely straight stroke, in this stance takes some side movement somewhere. Due to your joints and body alignment.

IMO, the straight and in-line movement needs to be during the time of the strike on the cueball.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
i havent read all thereplies
but isnt this another version of vision center effects ?
dr dave
your response appreciated
Good point. When your head is not in your personally vision center position, parallax does result in shot-line visualization errors.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another interesting thread!!
Thank you.

I agree, the camera parallax is causing the stroke to look crooked.
It might not be the only cause, but it is certainly a large factor.

But, if you would like to check the straightness of your stoke, try this. You can place use a laser level to place direct straight line between cueball and object ball from one corner pocket to the diagonal corner pocket. Placing the camera, centered side to side and up to down on the shot. But from behind the cueball. Then, use the laser level on the "up-down" mode, showing a vertical laser line centered on the shot. Then shoot the draw shot. The video should show the laser line should split your shoulder & humerus and show how straight you stroke is.
Good idea.

BTW, I believe that Dr Dave would not show a completely straight stroke. Just like my stroke! We both have the stroke shoulder heavily outside of the shot line. And we have a more squared up shot. To accomplish a completely straight stroke, in this stance takes some side movement somewhere. Due to your joints and body alignment.
The forearm does need to be in the plane of the shot for a straight stroke, but the upper arm and shoulder do not need to be in the plane. FYI, I discuss and demonstrate this in my stroke video. Check it out.

IMO, the straight and in-line movement needs to be during the time of the strike on the cueball.
Agreed. The cue only needs to be pointing in the right direction at the brief moment of tip contact. Having a straight stroke can help with this, especially if you don’t align with your tip close to the CB.

Regards,
Dave