Dominiak Ultra Pete and Sweet Sixteen Curly Deluxe

lumberman

Registered
A few weeks back I received my brand new Dominiak Ultra Pete and Sweet Sixteen Curly Deluxe. After doing a lot of research on AZ and other boards, I decided that Dominiak would be my first foray into a custom playing cue (I have owned a number of higher end McDermotts and Predators). Let me tell you, I was not disappointed. Although my communication was all through email, Bill was very easy to deal with. When I received the packages, I could tell right away that these were beautifully crafted cues. In regards to the Ultra Pete, there was just so much beauty in such simplicity; and the Curly Deluxe had such an elegance to it. The fit, feel and balance of both cues felt good in my hands. Each cue came with two radially laminated shafts (Dominator II in regards to the Curly Deluxe), with both an 11.8mm and a 12.8mm tip with pro tapers. All shafts came with brown Kamui medium tips. Both cues were approx. 18 oz. in weight. Each cue came with maple joint protectors. When I first played with these, I could tell the immediate difference between it and my McDermott with an I-2 shaft. I could feel the hit a lot more (in a good way). It was a stiffer hit with much better feedback. I could generate better english on the cue ball with less movement of the cue tip to the right or left of centre. In comparison to my Predator with 314-2 I think that the Dominiak cues are better playing.
I feel that the Dominator II shafts play equal to if not slightly better than the 314-2. They are solid, stiffer and firmer hitting with more feed back which, for me, is what I prefer. The radial pin joint probably has something to do with the feed back as well. The joints matched beautifully and went together quite snuggly. The Sweet Sixteen plays a tad firmer and has somewhat better balance (more forward) than the Ultra Pete. I loved the solid hitting sound both these cues made when contacting the cue ball. The only draw backs were that I wish the Ultra Pete had more of a glossy finish on it rather than the satin finish....I think this would enhance its' beauty more; and it would be nice if the Sweet Sixteen had matching veneer rings next to each side of the leather wrap to match the ones next to the butt cap and joint collar. Compared to other custom cues that I researched, Dominiak cues gave the best bang for the buck and are priced well under similar quality cues from other cuemakers. You will never regret owning one of these. Bill is truly a craftsmen and does great work. In fact, one of my friends loved his cues so much, that he also obtained a Dominiak Ultra Pete; and now two more players in my league, after playing with my cues, have ordered Dominiak Ultra Petes. I think that speaks for the quality of Bill's cues. I have decided to retire the McDermotts, and make the Sweet Sixteen Curly Deluxe my regular playing cue. I should also mention that between the 12.8mm tip and the 11.8mm tip, my preference is for the 11.8mm tip....slightly better cue ball control.

Last edited:

EddySJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lumberman...feedback question

Hi lumberman, Nice review.
I would like to see some pics if you get a chance. I may check out the Dominiac site later on today. I am curious what a Sweet Sixteen is. My guess is a merry widow style cue.

On to my question... what do you mean by feedback? Are you refering to the handle area during the shot or is it something specific to the shaft?

There was another thread that mentioned/asked feedback of a 314-2 shaft for a Mezz cue. I assumed that the feedback was all in what is felt at the rear hand. Perhaps I am a bit misinformed.

If you have a radial pin, then you should have more surface contact at the joint and thus more feedback/energy transfer through to the handle? (If the same taper/tip/ferrule were used on a shaft and the only difference was the joint pin configuration, you should get more feedback through the shaft with tighter joint/contact than one say with a standard 3/8 10 with a lot of gap between the threads and wood??)

I am just curious what you meant... Please pm me with the response so I don't hijack the thread...that was not my intention
Again, nice review...very informative.
Jeremy

Last edited:

EddySJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
saw Dominiak Site

The cues look nice on his site. Thanks for the PM. I am confident you will be happy with them.
Jeremy