Gus Szamboti Cues

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recommend them to everyone, I'm not being sarcastic. If you know someone who ones one ask them if you can hit a few balls with it and you'll remember it forever and you'll want one ;). I remember the first time I played with one I was a C or C+ player and I could tell there was magic in that cue. The owner was nice enough to let me use it for 30-45 minutes. A couple years later I was a B+ player another friend let me use his(he had just got it) I played for 3 hours with it(my friend bought it from him 5 years later)

I let anyone who can play C speed and above play with a couple of Szams I have, I hope they remember them like I did my first few times. If you cant share what you have you shouldnt own it. So If you own a Szam or 20 of them be generous and let people experience them

Same goes for Barrys cues.

CMD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would own one right now if I knew then what I know now.

That is confusing, I know. But a few years ago I was spending a lot of money (more than enough to buy a maple window Gus) on cues that did not hold their value. I am smarter now, but not spending as much because of my twin boys and we are buying a bigger house.

Believe me, when I get the extra money I will get one.

I had an opportunity to hit with Tikklers Szamboti's but the night got late and I hit with some Black Boars instead. If I ever go back to his house, I will play with as many as I can get my hands on.

Chris

Last edited:

bobalouiecda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Szamboti Trade for the Needy at Xmas

Eric, How about a trade for Huebler Customs (Chess etc.) Always wanted a Szamboti, but could never afford one. If not I would like to try one some day. We come through your area once or twice a year. Bob

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember back in Jersey in the late '70s you could buy a basic Szamboti for $360 ! At that time he was no big deal as a cue maker!

runout1961

Ecclesiastes Ch. 12: 1-7
Silver Member
We all know Gus' cues will apreciate in value. But, how much more can they possible go up in value? I know what I bought my Gus at, and I got a pretty good deal. It's not a plain four pointer either. I was just thinking about the future and what my cue will be worth in 5 or ten years....or 15 or 20 years for that matter.

But then again, I guess folks were saying the same thing 5 or 10 years ago. What? A Gus costs that much? That's rediculous....at the time. But I am certain any of us would buy one today at 5 years ago prices ten times over. I am personally going to hold on to mine for as long as possible. And, hopefully get another in the future.

Hank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eric [ remembering when ]

Great thread.I can remember the few times my older brother left his new Frank Paridise cue out.It also was magic! 1966 I am now playing with a 1980 RUNDE also has a special hit. Have a great CHRISTMAS an thank you for your card.:smile:
HANK

knifemaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gus

I had a Szamboti I bought in the 70's, it was a ebony with ivory windows top and bottom a beautiful cue. Another player needed some money and I bought it from him with the condition he could get it back, well he got the money and I had to let him have it back, the hardest cue deal I have ever done. Great looking with ivory ferrules and butt, ivory wingows in forearm and butt. Hit balls like you never had seen before. He knew what he was doing when he made them.
Percy

Steppo

That's my Bourbon
Silver Member
I recommend them to everyone, I'm not being sarcastic. If you know someone who ones one ask them if you can hit a few balls with it and you'll remember it forever and you'll want one ;). I remember the first time I played with one I was a C or C+ player and I could tell there was magic in that cue. The owner was nice enough to let me use it for 30-45 minutes. A couple years later I was a B+ player another friend let me use his(he had just got it) I played for 3 hours with it(my friend bought it from him 5 years later)

I let anyone who can play C speed and above play with a couple of Szams I have, I hope they remember them like I did my first few times. If you cant share what you have you shouldnt own it. So If you own a Szam or 20 of them be generous and let people experience them

Same goes for Barrys cues.

Eric,
Are you offering to let someone try one of your Szams, if so thanks.
I'll see you at the Derby. (will you be there this year):smile:

Branko

jetlau3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, I've been reading everything written about Szambotis and I would die to feel how one hits for myself.. Actually I've only hit a few high end cues.. Bludworth, high end Pechauer, .. and my playing cue for last 5 years has been a custom Jim Buss...

Can anyone compare how a Szamboti, Black Boar, or Scruggs hits against any of the ones I've tried??

reni

Registered
unknown cue possibly a Szamboti

I have a cue that I was told could be a Szamboti. Any input in regards to authenticity or opinions on if you think it is a Szamboti would be appreciated. This is an older cue. The cue looks like it's yellow at the bottom of the butt in the pics. but in person it's a lighter white color.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 5,233
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 5,272
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 5,978
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 5,691
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 4,913
Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eric,
Are you offering to let someone try one of your Szams, if so thanks.
I'll see you at the Derby. (will you be there this year):smile:

Branko

At my house in Vegas I let anyone play with a few different Gus cues. So long as they can play B speed or better. OR know how to handle a cue, I have a very close frinend in Vegas who is a C+ player when he is instroke and has used one particular Gus for 200-300 hours, I beat hime every set easilly but he knows how to handle a cue-I let him use something different until I saw he was handling a cue properly.

I dont travel with any of my Gus cues-someday if I can afford a jet then I will be able too, but I dread shipping them to Barry or to where ever i'm going, so if its a long drive they stay in the vault.

I was turned on to Gus cues by a friend(so the way I see it is let other people play with Gus's work-thats honor and respect to Gus), I will never forget that night. I was a solid C player and knew the difference in feel from one cue to the next. When he showed me the loaded 8pt I shit my self, then he said "Go have fun with it long as you like". Until that nitght I never heard of Gus, since that night I never forgot Gus. He is the best cue maker in history. The new stuff might look fancier, etc but there is no school like the old school.

Its nice to share it feels good, I've been lucky in life and what good is it if I cant share what I have with people. I let some of my friends drive my cars. I just throw them the keys and go over the rules. Never had a problem one time. people who I really trust I dont even ride with. The exception was the Enzo Ferrari-thats way too much car for someone with limited driving skills(including me) It was scary fast and too light-so I sold it. I miss it, the way it sounded when you fired it up sounded amazing. But it was too much car to be safe, its a better track car.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a cue that I was told could be a Szamboti. Any input in regards to authenticity or opinions on if you think it is a Szamboti would be appreciated. This is an older cue. The cue looks like it's yellow at the bottom of the butt in the pics. but in person it's a lighter white color.

Absolutely not a Gus. sorry:frown:

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember back in Jersey in the late '70s you could buy a basic Szamboti for $360 ! At that time he was no big deal as a cue maker!

If you say so in NJ. But, in Oklahoma he was known as the top of the heap; maybe a shade below Balabushka, rep-wise.

Scott

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also have been lucky enough to have owned several szams. but do to the times had to sell them .One was a gift from Gus for a favor you can imagine what it was like .I dont know if Barry remembers it was done in 82. But having said my rundes '' for sake of arguement'' play as well.