How does the tapering affects play?

hunoes7

Registered
Hi guys,

i am currently using a McDermott Lucky series cue that comes with a classic maple shaft. It should be 13mm european taper. My friends have been telling me i should get it tapered down a little and probably to a pro-taper.

How does the tapering affects the play? And will if affect much of the weight and make it more back weighted?

Thanks! :D

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Taper

The Pro taper is a lot easier to shoot with, IMO, and not near as thick stroking through your bridge hand. It is usually tapered back to about 13".
The super Pro taper is tapered at about 15".

I really don't know about the hit, but I would guess that the pro taper might hit just slighty softer than a European taper.

Yes, it would affect the weight slightly, but a cuemaker or cue repairman should be able to maintain the balance it originally had.

jolnar33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schaller cue shaft

One of the cues I have is a Schaller that I really love. It has a thicker taper to it, I can feel it more in my bridgehand when I shoot, but I don't find it distracting. Ferule and tip choice also make a difference, but with the Schaller, I feel I have more control over the cue ball with less perceived effort.

weakfingers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd have to agree. I've had a custom (double) taper for one of my shafts and it's all dependent on how it feels in your bridge hand, I'd say. Nothing wrong with the European taper if you like the way it feels, I think it's nice so you can feel the end of your stroke.