top books, videos of all time

SLNegative9

Registered
Hello, everybody.

I am a beginner player. I am at the end of my second APA session playing 8 ball, in which I am currently a Skill Level 3. I want to improve.

In this forum, I see a lot of reviews on single books and videos; but not a lot of comparative reviews. I know that there are a lot of guys and gals out there who have read more books, watched more videos, and used more training aids than I have. What do you recommend as the top in these categories? And why? And please don't answer, "Because I wrote it." or "Because I'm in the video." LOL. I'm referring to comprehensive materials-- not materials that are strictly for brand new players. I'm asking about materials that are applicable to most cue sports and that do not focus solely on one game, such as 3-cushion, straight pool, etc (although I do want to learn 3-cushion soon). Thanks :)

1. Top 3 pool/billiard books of all time
2. Top 3 pool/billiard videos of all time (DVD, VHS, Beta, whatever)
3. Top 3 training/practice aids of all time (Elephant ball, "measles" ball, etc.)

Optional:
4. Top 5 practice drills of all time
5. Top 5 pool/billiard forums (AZB is #1, right? ;)

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, I’ll bite… :thumbup:

Top 3 Books:
• Standard Book of Pool and Billiards by Robert Byrne (or any of his others) – This is an amazing classic book and still very relevant and I can largely credit it and Ray Martin’s 99 Critical Shots for teaching me to shoot. Byrne’s style is great and everything is very well laid out with lots of detail and diagrams. Also love the fact that half the book is pool and half is 3 cushion.

• Play Your Best Pool by Phil Capelle (again, anything else by him as well) – This came out in the mid 90’s and contained a lot of the same information as the above book but in a different style. Some of Phil’s info on position play and other concepts is fantastic if studied. Again, large book, lots of info and diagrams, with information on 8-ball, 9-ball, and straight pool

• Third book is not as clear cut for me, but I enjoyed Science of Pocket Billiards by Jack Kohler as well as too many others to mention (I have 70 – 80 at home).

Top 3 Videos:
• Byrne’s Videos that accompany his books are awesome, classic instructional videos
• I like Mika’s Mastering Pool, the 3 DVD set is well produced and contains a lot of information
• Jerry Briesath’s recent 3 DVD set is great, next best thing to getting a personal lesson from a great instructor
• Too many others to list – some great and classic ones from Joe Tucker, Grady Mathews, Buddy Hall, etc.

Top 3 Training Aids:
• Not big into this – don’t want to “Tin Cup” it too much when practicing. But there is value in things like the Rempe(?) Training ball, which shows limits of English. Maybe some of the laser aids when learning to show the contact point. Other than that, it’s really just a lot of learning and practice…

Top 5 Practice Drills:
Rather than list specific drills, will mention a few and some accompanying DVD’s:
• PAT – great videos and drills
• Pro Skills Drills
• Joe Tucker Guaranteed Improvement
• Bert Kinisters 60 minute workout
• Blackjack has some great drills in his book

Also will mention the relatively new Billiard University, it's more of an assessment test but the components can be used as drills to work on various skills, and you can also buy the related DVDs to get tips on the test components and specific drills and techniques to improve each area. Check out Billiard University for more info.

Scott

Last edited:

SLNegative9

Registered
Scott,

Thanks so much for your recommendations :) I checked out a couple of Phil Capelle's books from the libarary and requested more books. I'll work on getting some videos soon.

Sincerely,
Frank

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
THE BIG MISS - An Excellent Book on What it Takes to be a Champion

I finished Hank Haney's book about Tiger Woods last weekend and it was one of the best books I've ever read on playing a game at a high level.

I can't believe it took me this long to read it, but it was well worth the effort. I know Hank personally and he really had some insight on the characteristics of one of the most talented, dedicated players of all time.....golf players that is, but pool is very similar.

th

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently obtained Play Great Pool by Mark Wilson and Donald Wardell. To say that I am impressed would be an understatement of the largest order. It doesn't cover strategy, but recommends other books as "required reading" for that. It is written in "textbook" style. If you want to learn the important "stuff'" about playing, this is a must have book.

vikingxxi

I recently got Play Great Pool also.. 2 thumbs up.. must have for the student of the game..

Last edited:

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently obtained Play Great Pool by Mark Wilson and Donald Wardell. To say that I am impressed would be an understatement of the largest order. It doesn't cover strategy, but recommends other books as "required reading" for that. It is written in "textbook" style. If you want to learn the important "stuff'" about playing, this is a must have book.

I agree 100%. George Fels and Robert Byrnes also have good books.
Master the content in Play Great Pool,then apply it as George and Robert guide you
through game and shot scenarios.

CMarshall

D player at best
Silver Member
What about Zero X or Pro Pool Academy? I would like to get to the next level, not sure where to step though.

anbukev

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
zero-x

I highly recommend the zero-x system. I bought it mainly for the kicking systems and it has helped me tremendously. Now whenever my opponent snookers me, I have more confidence in getting out.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO the problem with some books and videos is that there are some flat out fallacies out there, as well as some being like jigsaw puzzles with missing pieces. If you are trying to learn from books and videos only youll find that this book contradicts this one, that video contradicts that one etc in other words, there are a plethora of nuggets to be had. Some are gold, some are crap. And youll find that some info clicks for some people and not for others.
That said of all the books and videos Ive collected over the years here is my list of favorites, and IMHO the most factually accurate.

Books
99 Critical Shots -Ray Matin
Science of Pocket Billiards- Jack Kohler
Pool Players Edge- Kanov and Stauch
Byrnes Standard and Advanced Book of Pool & Billiards- Bob Byrne
The Inner Game of Tennis- Timothy Gallwey

Videos
No Time for Negative- Jimmy Reid
Perfect 8-9-straight pool- Mike Sigel (not the IPT tapes)
How Do I Win From Here- Buddy Hall
Just Kicks- Grady Mathews
Finer Points series- Grady Mathews

drhanson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started my journey to become a better pool player about five years ago and began taking it more seriously over the past year or two. Going down the same path as you, Chuck's comment really resonated with me, I couldn't agree more:

IMO the problem with some books and videos is that there are some flat out fallacies out there, as well as some being like jigsaw puzzles with missing pieces. If you are trying to learn from books and videos only youll find that this book contradicts this one, that video contradicts that one etc in other words, there are a plethora of nuggets to be had. Some are gold, some are crap. And youll find that some info clicks for some people and not for others.
That said of all the books and videos Ive collected over the years here is my list of favorites, and IMHO the most factually accurate.

In my opinion, the most comprehensive and accurate body of pool knowledge is available from Dr. Dave Alciatore's web site. I think Dr. Dave's background in Mechanical Engineering and research in Billiards physics and sports mechanics makes him uniquely qualified to produce the best pool instructional material available. At that link you will find:

1. 1) His Book: The Illustrated Principles of Pool and Billiards
  2. 2) Instructional DVD Series: Video Encyclopedia of Pool Shots (VEPS)
  3. 3) Instructional DVD Series: Video Encyclopedia of Pool Practice (VEPP)
  4. 4) Billiard University Instructional DVD Series
There you will also find links to his online resources which include published articles, video clips, technical proof analysis, "Pool School" and the "Annual BU Summer School Boot Camp" which I am very excited to be attending this weekend. I'll be sure to post a review of the Summer School Boot Camp to share my thoughts on the experience with the AZ community.

I recently purchased Mark Wilson's book Play Great Pool. While I haven't spent a lot of time with it yet, I'm very impressed with its content, organization and writing style. I highly recommend it as well.

I think the key to getting the most benefit from any pool instructional material is to take your time digesting it in small pieces. It's far too easy to become overwhelmed with everything that's out there. Whatever material you choose, there is no substitute for time at the table doing the recommended drills and exercises.

One big advantage you have is that you're researching what the best material is on this forum; there are a lot of very helpful, knowledgeable people on AZ. I think many people don't spend the time to seek the best material that's out there and as a result might take several years longer to get to the same level as somebody that takes a more educated path.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
PM me your name and address

If you want a free 'Ultimate Pool Secrets' DVD I'll be happy to drop one in the mail to help you out (just PM me your name and address). Below is what this video includes:

Balancing the Body
Building Your Bridge
Connection to the "Line of the Shot"
Strengthening Your Stroke
Developing a Straight Delivery
Grip Pressure
Using the Diamonds
Putting Power into Your Break
The Draw Shot
Shooting off the Rail
Concentrating Through Self Hypnosis
The Mental Side
Applying Exact "English"
High and Low "English"
Finding your Favorite Angle
Balancing through Breathing
Establishing Zones
Exact Position
Improving Your Weaknesses
"Kicking" Defensively
Rating your Game
Mastering Jump Shots
The "Escape Shot" Technique
The Masse' Shot
Strategic Racking
The Ultimate Aiming System
Playing the Percentages
1831775.jpg

Hello, everybody.

I am a beginner player. I am at the end of my second APA session playing 8 ball, in which I am currently a Skill Level 3. I want to improve.

In this forum, I see a lot of reviews on single books and videos; but not a lot of comparative reviews. I know that there are a lot of guys and gals out there who have read more books, watched more videos, and used more training aids than I have. What do you recommend as the top in these categories? And why? And please don't answer, "Because I wrote it." or "Because I'm in the video." LOL. I'm referring to comprehensive materials-- not materials that are strictly for brand new players. I'm asking about materials that are applicable to most cue sports and that do not focus solely on one game, such as 3-cushion, straight pool, etc (although I do want to learn 3-cushion soon). Thanks :)

1. Top 3 pool/billiard books of all time
2. Top 3 pool/billiard videos of all time (DVD, VHS, Beta, whatever)
3. Top 3 training/practice aids of all time (Elephant ball, "measles" ball, etc.)

Optional:
4. Top 5 practice drills of all time
5. Top 5 pool/billiard forums (AZB is #1, right? ;)

14.1 Forever

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My compliments to see you want to learn the great game of pool.

As a SL-3 your primary objective should be to spend some of your book & DVD money to contact a "Certified Level Instructor" or higher, to have your mechanics checked. You need to start at the beginning and develop strong basics, then you will be better prepared to understand what you will be exposed to reading the books and watching the videos. Remember all the great players of any sport have instructors and/or coaches. You can't buy a book and the needed tools to play the sport and teach yourself to play! IT DON'T WORK!! An instructor who knows what to look for is a MUST!!!

All the books and videos mentioned are great. IMO Ray Martins'- "The 99 Critical Shots in Pool" is excellent in showing you one shot and using that shot to show you the next. It is easy reading and will be very helpful understanding more of the advanced shots as you progress. A Pool Lesson with Jerry Briesath and the Dr. Dave videos ... These three is all you will need to get you well on your way to a SL-7.

To help you find an instructor in your area you can go to: http://playbetterpool.com

Good Luck!