who makes the best shaft with ivory ferule.

Jdm34

jared marion
Silver Member
Thinking about buying a shaft with ivory ferule 3\8-10 pin. Not sure what make for the best playability taper grade of wood and so on opinions would be great. Thanks.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thinking about buying a shaft with ivory ferule 3\8-10 pin. Not sure what make for the best playability taper grade of wood and so on opinions would be great. Thanks.

Well you haven't narrowed down what you want or how much you are willing to spend.

You need to know:
How big is your budget?
Do you want a stiff shaft or whippy shaft?
Do you want a soft hit or a firm hit?
What wood would you prefer?
What cuemakers are local?
What ferrule do you want? Ivory
What joint do you want? 3/8x10
Do you want it decorated?
What kind of taper do you want?
How long do you want the taper?

There are tons of cuemakers on the forums that will happily make you the shaft you want, but only if you provide the information they need.

Jdm34

jared marion
Silver Member
I shoot with a Jensen cue 3/8-10 pin wood to wood with a LD shaft. I've heard you shouldn't put ivory on low deflection shafts I thought about putting ivory ferrule on the original shaft. I like a stiff hit wasn't sure if ivory plays better with a certain taper and joint style.

CueTip

Registered
I have and shoot with a Dale Teague butterfly cue and his "eye shaft". He's a great guy to deal with and can make anything you want! If you want more info call and we can talk. My cell is 973 296 9668. I live in nj, Thx Kevin

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shoot with a Jensen cue 3/8-10 pin wood to wood with a LD shaft. I've heard you shouldn't put ivory on low deflection shafts I thought about putting ivory ferrule on the original shaft. I like a stiff hit wasn't sure if ivory plays better with a certain taper and joint style.

Yes, putting an ivory ferrule on an LD shaft will cancel out any low deflecting characteristics of your low deflection shaft. Not because it's ivory, but because it's heavier and you want the end mass to be light.

I'm assuming you want Ivory, just because it's Ivory. If so, that's a stupid choice. An ivory ferrule has a very "different" hit. If you want a stiff hit and an LD shaft, get a Tiger Ultra X LD shaft with a saber-t ferrule.

If you just want a stiff hit, you want old growth conical taper shaft with a ferrule like melamine.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
What cue are you using, and what don't you like about the original shaft?

If I had to just give an answer without asking any questions I would list my favorite shafts with ivory ferrules as Joss West, James White, Chris Nitti, and Ernie Martinez.

Jdm34

jared marion
Silver Member
I want ivory more for something in my collection I liked the different hit but not something I've owned.

Luc Comtois

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Try Schon IV shaft, they great.

Lucas
Lucas Cue Shop

captainkoons

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, putting an ivory ferrule on an LD shaft will cancel out any low deflecting characteristics of your low deflection shaft. Not because it's ivory, but because it's heavier and you want the end mass to be light.

I'm assuming you want Ivory, just because it's Ivory. If so, that's a stupid choice. An ivory ferrule has a very "different" hit. If you want a stiff hit and an LD shaft, get a Tiger Ultra X LD shaft with a saber-t ferrule.

If you just want a stiff hit, you want old growth conical taper shaft with a ferrule like melamine.

Changing the ferrule would effect the deflection but all of it? FWIW, a local hot shot 9 ball player damaged the ferrule of his Z2 shaft, got it replaced with whatever a cue ball is made of (I know the composites vary) it was from an actual cue ball. He damaged that too, replaced it with ivory and never turned back.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

No way man. You want a stiff hit and LD then go with the mezz hybrid pro2 or alpha shaft!