How to Fix a Loose Linen Wrap

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just bought a used break cue and the linen wrap looks to be in great shape except when you hit with it, than it's obvious that the wrap is loose.

The top of the wrap is tight, the bottom of the wrap can be moved up about 1/4 of an inch.

Is there a way I can fix this without getting a new wrap put on? I don't really want to spend another $40 on the cue.

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
Soak it in a tub of water for about an hour. Then put it in the drier for at least 40 minutes on high. That should shrink it some. It may toast the rest of the cue, but your wrap will be tight. :smile:

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of my league team mates had his wrap coming loose and he just got some brush on superglue and put a thin layer over the whole wrap...it did change the feel of the wrap but the glue soaked into the linen and stopped it from moving...I dont know if I would do this on one of my cues or if there is another/better way to fix the problem short of having it re-wrapped...it'll work if you're just looking for a cheap fix to hold you over until you can have it fixed the right way

ekb6760

Misplaced Texan
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've used white Elmers glue on several wraps to fix a loose wrap many times. Be sure to mask off the finish before applying, and apply by using your hand to smooth it out. I wear a Latex or Nitrile glove. Once it's dry, lightly sand with 600 sandpaper. I learned this from a maker with 60 years experience. I don't build cues though, just a lowly cue repair guy. :smile:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I've used white Elmers glue on several wraps to fix a loose wrap many times. Be sure to mask off the finish before applying, and apply by using your hand to smooth it out. I wear a Latex or Nitrile glove. Once it's dry, lightly sand with 600 sandpaper. I learned this from a maker with 60 years experience. I don't build cues though, just a lowly cue repair guy. :smile:

tap tap tap.
You can even thin out by 20% and use a sponge while cue is spinning.

NEVER use super glue on wraps.

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
B/c they get hard and Elmer's glue works much better.

Noted...thanks for the info. Like I said I didnt know if there was a better way or not...just had a buddy that fixed his with super glue and it worked for him...It did change the feel of the wrap...harder like you said.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Soak it in a tub of water for about an hour. Then put it in the drier for at least 40 minutes on high. That should shrink it some. It may toast the rest of the cue, but your wrap will be tight. :smile:

Brilliant! Said the man who consumed 23 bottles of The Guinness:grin:

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks for the info.:thumbup2: I didn't know if Elmer's would work after the wrap was already on. I watched a pro put a wrap on one of my other cues and that's what he used. Of course he had a nice lathe and linen press to smooth everything out.

I think I'm better off getting a pro to do it otherwise it might end up looking like my grandsons kindergarden project.

I'm just glad I don't have to go for the full rewrap, I plan on reselling the cue at some point and don't want to get too deep but I would never sell it as is.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
To complete the thread I figured I'd let you all know how it worked out.

I took the cue to Scot Sherbine at Proficient Billiards. He looked at the cue and said there was no saving the wrap.

When he took the wrap off there didn't appear to be any glue or perhaps the glue was thinly applied and dried before the wrap was installed.

Anyway a new wrap was installed, at least I know Scot does an excellent job.

Thanks to all who responded with helpful suggestions.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
B/c they get hard and Elmer's glue works much better.

I've installed a ton of linen wraps and Elmer's glue is the way to go. I've never had one come loose using it and if you don't want to spend the money to get your wrap redone try some Elmer's all purpose white glue on the loose part of your wrap and let it soak in and dry. The correct and best thing to do is to have the cue re-wrapped, but if money is an issue the Elmer's glue should work as a temporary fix. Also Elmer's glue is water soluble so if you get some on the finish it will wipe off with a damp cloth. It works great with linen wraps.

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member

I'll third this^^^ I almost never tell a non-cue repairer to use super glue on anything. Super glue can fix some problems but the risk outweighs the benefit. If you get it on anything other than what you want, it is a huge problem.

Elmers is easier to control, apply, and clean up. It also, in this instance, would be the better option to fix the wrap. Like Joey said, thin it out and let it penetrate into the wrap.