to hell with call shots...anyone else gone back to "slop" and loving it?

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Lots of slop pool in bar's...
Just check out the stains on the tables!!

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

:frown:

I guess not many people commenting don't play the lottery....

I love gettin' lucky!

Best shot in the game...the luck shot.

Just watch all the old TV tournament tapes...the crowd goes wild

when a player gets lucky.:grin:

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
Want to see someone take the heat? luck in a ball, then get out, then break & run out. You can fry an egg on their head after that

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's an argument about card creation in professional card games that include random chance; such as roll the dice type of cards with huge effects.

Professional players dislike the cards because it gives unskilled players a chance to win without having to do anything substantial. Imagine a single card that when played means you automatically win your game and it increases your winning percentage by 10-15% from roughly 50% to 60-65%. Professional's who already have a winrate that high ( hence, they're professionals) dislike such cards.

I feel the same way about slop. Why invest years and years into developing a skill if it means you can lose to somebody who hits em hard and prays.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I´ve been playing 10-ball over one year with nine ball rules. Only 10-ball from break is spotted.
Everyone likes slop shot game over call shot. It takes out a lot of unnecessary thinking "what could happen..."
Also two way shots are better with no call rules.
I also think 10-ball is hard enough because harder break+extra ball to be enjoyable.

Only one player I know prefer call shot and only reason for that is my kick shots... :rolleyes:

I agree OP 99%.. :smile:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slop is indisputably part of the game which is unfortunate but don't think it should even count
and you should lose the inning to your opponent because of it and he gets the table as it lays.

If the played object ball "unintentionally" caroms off another object ball and that deflects the
called object ball into the intended pocket that it otherwise would have missed were it not for
the aforementioned accidental carom, the player should forfeit the table......I don't care if it
happened on a bank shot. You should declare the kiss shot into the pocket before playing it.

I realize that undoubtedly jars a lot of pool players but it certainly would immediately distinguish
the best of the best & doesn't that occur on any given night in any given city in most pool halls?
I just don't think luck should be a factor in determining the outcome and I know that it can be in
any competition. It just seems it's a lot more common in pool, especially since the rules allow it.

Matt B.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I agree with call shots at straight pool and banks.

All the other games, I refuse to play call shots.

Some people can't seem to comprehend that call shots at nine and ten ball takes skill
OUT of the game.
...and call shot with the option is the worst.

I feel this is a result of players (the kind who sit there and hope you miss) having too much
to say about how the game should be played.

Take that shit back to 'bar rules'.

...and I think "slop" is one of those weasel words....sneaking in one's opinion like it's a given.
...akin to "Are you still beating your wife?"

You don't want to get beat by luck?......keep your opponent in his chair.

pt....Flukes r Us

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Well, straight pool is by nature a call shot game with a safety opening break, and there is little controversy that 9 Ball and One Hole are not, so for the most part we are down to talking about 8 Ball and maybe 10 Ball.

While I can certainly see the case for slop 8 Ball, at least on a coin op bar box, I do prefer call shot. For me the beauty of the game is in the pattern play and in that regard I see it as similar to 14.1

As for 10 Ball...pick 'em. But even in the case of call shot 10 Ball I prefer the WPA rules that allow for the two way shot rather than the so called WPA+ rules.

I should add one more thing. I'm in favor of slop for Kill Your Neighbor. :grin-square:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with call shots at straight pool and banks.

All the other games, I refuse to play call shots.

Some people can't seem to comprehend that call shots at nine and ten ball takes skill
OUT of the game.
...and call shot with the option is the worst.

I feel this is a result of players (the kind who sit there and hope you miss) having too much
to say about how the game should be played.

Take that shit back to 'bar rules'.

...and I think "slop" is one of those weasel words....sneaking in one's opinion like it's a given.
...akin to "Are you still beating your wife?"

You don't want to get beat by luck?......keep your opponent in his chair.

pt....Flukes r Us

Perhaps that is because you can run out...

Dale

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Perhaps that is because you can run out...

Dale

I've ran out of money a few times. :p

My rant on chintzy rules is more at the open level....
...I support the leagues and handicap events.
But I don't think championships should operate at those levels.

I was at the DCC this year....I liked every thing I saw.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slop is indisputably part of the game which is unfortunate but don't think it should even count
and you should lose the inning to your opponent because of it and he gets the table as it lays.

If the played object ball "unintentionally" caroms off another object ball and that deflects the
called object ball into the intended pocket that it otherwise would have missed were it not for
the aforementioned accidental carom, the player should forfeit the table......I don't care if it
happened on a bank shot. You should declare the kiss shot into the pocket before playing it.

I realize that undoubtedly jars a lot of pool players but it certainly would immediately distinguish
the best of the best & doesn't that occur on any given night in any given city in most pool halls?
I just don't think luck should be a factor in determining the outcome and I know that it can be in
any competition. It just seems it's a lot more common in pool, especially since the rules allow it.

Matt B.

How do you define a bank shot? When an OB hits a cushion before dropping in a pocket? Is shooting down a rail and touching it before the pocket a bank?

When a ball drops after a kiss, is the kiss always the reason the ball dropped?

Is not simple knowledge of the game also a skill such as seeing multiple possibilities, none of which are sure, but a possible escape none the less?

When your opponent dogs an easy shot, isn't that a "sloppy" reason to return to the table?

Has anyone ever sunk a ball and felt lucky. Should they have gone back to their chair for knowing they were lucky?

Just asking.

Last edited: