Opinions On “Cue plays well”

sgengaro86

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good morning,
I am a solid player - not great but I have played for 30 years, have run 3 racks of 9 balls and straight pool high is 28. I have a quick question.
As background, I own several cues, including two Samsara’s with LD TrueShafts, a beautiful Scruggs, a wrapless inexpensive Pechaeur and my player which is a nice Pechaeur with a CF Rogue shaft. I also just traded a Lambros, had a Mike Bender and a Southwest.
When people say the cue “plays well” or “plays lights out”, what do they mean? I understand deflection issues and the impact on how a cue plays, but what are people referring to when they say a cue plays well. It seems like it is mainly personal preference. For me, it is a cue with a little forward balance that is solid and stiff but with a quieter hit.
What am I missing?
Thanks!

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good morning,
I am a solid player - not great but I have played for 30 years, have run 3 racks of 9 balls and straight pool high is 28. I have a quick question.
As background, I own several cues, including two Samsara’s with LD TrueShafts, a beautiful Scruggs, a wrapless inexpensive Pechaeur and my player which is a nice Pechaeur with a CF Rogue shaft. I also just traded a Lambros, had a Mike Bender and a Southwest.
When people say the cue “plays well” or “plays lights out”, what do they mean? I understand deflection issues and the impact on how a cue plays, but what are people referring to when they say a cue plays well. It seems like it is mainly personal preference. For me, it is a cue with a little forward balance that is solid and stiff but with a quieter hit.
What am I missing?
Thanks!

Meaningless salesmanship BS.

Hits a ton is another one, that hopefully has been laughed out of existence.

matcase

Blondie's #1 fan
Silver Member
I think you answered your own question . Forward balance and a quiet hit are your preferences. I too like forward balance and that sweet crisp little bump when the tip contacts the cue ball ( like a well struck golf ball or when you hit a baseball on the button ). Others have narrow preferences for weight and taper. Most cues play well, but we all have an opinion

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, if it puts balls in the hole easily, it plays well. Price doesn't matter, nor pretty.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
"Plays well / hits a ton" = "I like it / it's what I'm used to".

pj <- those are the definitions I like / am used to
chgo

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree with the above posts.

If you get a great playing cue, it is solid, and IMO the most important thing for a cue is shaft taper, and quality of Ferrell and tip.

For best bang for the buck, Rick Howard cues are an absolute steal either new or used. Everyone has a favorite, and they will pipe in.

I have sent Rick shafts from local cuemakers when I would buy from them to help them get started. Most of these local cues play okay but after Rick would retaper the shafts and take an okay playing cue to a great playing cue.

I have played with a couple Balabushka cues, one had a fat handle and to me was not a great playing cue. The second one I bought which is worth far less, plays great, it is a little heavier than I prefer but is just a joy to shoot some with .

Some might deny, but joint makes a difference too. If you prefer a heavier front, then a steel joint might be a help, and the compression fit of top makers allow all of the feedback through the cue.

I have had 20-30 Josswest cues, and the flat face ivory jointed ones always played the best IMO.

Southwest/Kersenbrock with the flat face and big pin has really converted an industry. I understand that they weren't the first, but for the last 20 years whoever made a cue would say "Southwest style pin".

I could play with whatever cue I want, so what do I play with ? I very simple 57 inch Gus Szamboti with a Dennis Searing shaft. I use Moori or Kamui soft tips.

I don't know if I helped but I tried.

Ken

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Meaningless salesmanship BS.

Hits a ton is another one, that hopefully has been laughed out of existence.

I like Del Taco, some people love Taco Bell........who's right, everyone.

Cjue is a tool, craftsman makes the art, not the tool.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I disagree with the above posts.

If you get a great playing cue, it is solid, and IMO the most important thing for a cue is shaft taper, and quality of Ferrell and tip.

For best bang for the buck, Rick Howard cues are an absolute steal either new or used. Everyone has a favorite, and they will pipe in.

I have sent Rick shafts from local cuemakers when I would buy from them to help them get started. Most of these local cues play okay but after Rick would retaper the shafts and take an okay playing cue to a great playing cue.

I have played with a couple Balabushka cues, one had a fat handle and to me was not a great playing cue. The second one I bought which is worth far less, plays great, it is a little heavier than I prefer but is just a joy to shoot some with .

Some might deny, but joint makes a difference too. If you prefer a heavier front, then a steel joint might be a help, and the compression fit of top makers allow all of the feedback through the cue.

I have had 20-30 Josswest cues, and the flat face ivory jointed ones always played the best IMO.

Southwest/Kersenbrock with the flat face and big pin has really converted an industry. I understand that they weren't the first, but for the last 20 years whoever made a cue would say "Southwest style pin".

I could play with whatever cue I want, so what do I play with ? I very simple 57 inch Gus Szamboti with a Dennis Searing shaft. I use Moori or Kamui soft tips.

I don't know if I helped but I tried.

Ken
So... what you like.

pj
chgo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a "hits like ton" cue once but it only hit 'bout like a 1/4ton. I'm still pissed. ;)

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I have played with a couple of Southwest cues and both had a ping sound/feel? I have read that the one of the reasons that they are popular is this type who of hit? Personally that hit drove me crazy, and I was happy to return it to the owner.

I also like a soft/silent hit like implex joint Schmelke cues or many of the older McDermott cues.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are referring to the wanted/for sale section they mean pay me a lot of money for this cue because it plays lights out.

Scruggs has a reputation for great playing cues. It's interesting to see you own one but play with something else.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
If you are referring to the wanted/for sale section they mean pay me a lot of money for this cue because it plays lights out.

Scruggs has a reputation for great playing cues. It's interesting to see you own one but play with something else.

Would would you sell you magic wand? If it is so so great?

SamShaddey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Plays well hits a ton is code words for this cue plays ok but not well enough for me to keep it because I got a new one that is a MONSTER!

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
they are no different than a pair of shoes. if it fits wear it. if it doesnt it doesnt matter what it costs.

old classics give you a warm feeling and i like that just like antique furniture. to each his own.

its more important to play with the same cue if you can so your mind is trained to respond to it.

sgengaro86

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually my Scruggs is my next favorite. I went to CF but was playing the Scruggs before and really liked it, especially the balance. I wanted to try CF and the Scruggs is the one cue I won’t sell.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
The last Titlist conversion I got from ____ _______, is perfectly balanced. When I first got it, I said this Cue is too light. Post Office scale reveled truth, the WEIGHT was right on Butt Section, and Shafts.

It play foo**** great when I play great.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
It means different things to different people, as has been said.

I've used a few cues over the years, but mainly a Schon and a Tascarella. Both cues have a noticeable ping sound, which is what I like and prefer. Both have steel joints, which I prefer just for balance and aesthetics. I don't like ivory ferrules. I don't think these qualities alone make any cue a great playing cue.

I know people don't like the ping, think I'm a dinosaur for using maple shafts, etc.

Cue chasing can be an expensive hobby, but it can be a fun one too.