Brazilian or BS

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
Would you say this is brazilian rosewood or not. It has some straw colored sap wood.

Attachments

• Braz.JPG
    Braz.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 443

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks like a big plank of tulipwood to me. Colors on the PC can be misleading, and it could be almost anything, but it does not look like Brazilian rosewood to me.

Edit: I think tulipwood does grow in Brazil, and tulipwood wood IS a rosewood, so technically it could be called one of the Brazilian rosewoods. But the name brazilian rosewood is/should be reserved only for Dalbergia nigra.

Also, the light color is not really sapwood per se, it is just a variegated color just like tulipwood exhibits.

Kelly

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
It looks like Bloodwood, or Kingwood or tulip to me.

Last edited:

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
It looks like a big plank of tulipwood to me. Colors on the PC can be misleading, and it could be almost anything, but it does not look like Brazilian rosewood to me.

Edit: I think tulipwood does grow in Brazil, and tulipwood wood IS a rosewood, so technically it could be called one of the Brazilian rosewoods. But the name brazilian rosewood is/should be reserved only for Dalbergia nigra.

Also, the light color is not really sapwood per se, it is just a variegated color just like tulipwood exhibits.

Kelly

By sapwood I wasn't talking about the straw coloring shown in the pic. It's on the other side along two corners. My thinking is tulipwood as well. This is a piece on ebay and the guy has it priced right up there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MIKEC-RARE-BRAZ...s=66:3|65:3|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:100

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By sapwood I wasn't talking about the straw coloring shown in the pic. It's on the other side along two corners. My thinking is tulipwood as well. This is a piece on ebay and the guy has it priced right up there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MIKEC-RARE-BRAZ...s=66:3|65:3|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:100

Oh, I see. Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah, that is a downright absurd price. My first though is the seller was simply trying to cash in on the unaware, but most all of his other listings seem in line with reasonable prices. Maybe the seller is really confused.

Kelly

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would you say this is brazilian rosewood or not. It has some straw colored sap wood.

Could be...

What is the color in real life? It looks 'red' on my screen.
Red Brazilila is the most valued.

The pieces I have are more a chocolate brown - but
the grain pattern looks much the same.
And sapwood is straw colored

Dale

Last edited:

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
Could be...

What is the color in real life? It looks 'red' on my screen.
Red Brazilila is the most valued.

The pieces I have are more a chocolate brown - but
the grain pattern looks much the same.

Dale

It looks red like tulipwood on my monitor. I associate dalbergia nigra (brazilian rosewood) with a chocolatey brown or with a dark reddish tint. I'm sure he's getting a lot of questions about it's validity. None from me though as there is no question about it. :grin:

EDIT: If it truly is tulipwood I'd say it's a gorgeous piece, good tulipwood is getting scarce.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks red like tulipwood on my monitor. I associate dalbergia nigra (brazilian rosewood) with a chocolatey brown or with a dark reddish tint. I'm sure he's getting a lot of questions about it's validity. None from me though as there is no question about it. :grin:

EDIT: If it truly is tulipwood I'd say it's a gorgeous piece, good tulipwood is getting scarce.

Well, the guy has 1358 sales with 100% positive feedback, and
he knows the right name.

That is not a high price if it is indeed Dalb. Nigra.

IMHO - the wood pictured is not Tulip.

Dale<who is now thinking about selling some Braz Rose on ebay>

BryanMordt

Cuemaker
Silver Member
My opinion.

I would vote tulipwood.

Definitely the wrong color and grain pattern for Brazilian rosewood.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
If your looking for dalbergia nigra, ask the guy if he will guarantee it.
If not, steer clear. eBay is notorious for people trying to cash in on wording things to sell and not guaranteeing it's validity.
One small cut or a scraping with a knife will tell you if it is true BR or not.
There are many woods that come from Brazil that are called Brazilian rosewood and pawned off as being the real thing.

Good luck with your bid.....

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
It's without a doubt Brazilian rosewood. Tulipwood is a true rosewood & grows in Brazil. That makes it exactly enough to truth to list it on ebay as Brazilian rosewood. Get a gaurantee that it's dalbergia nigra & then you'll have something to stand on. Getting a gaurantee that it's brazilian rosewood will land you square in the hustle.

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
I sent him a message asking if he will guarantee. We'll see what kind of response I get.

QMAKER

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Silver Member
Brazilian rosewood

It doesn't look like Brazilian to me. I am no expert but I am in the process of building 7 cues with Brazilian and have a good supply of it. I have also made several guitars from it. I notice that block is only 9 inches square which makes it fine for a bowl but pretty useless for a cue. If you need some Brazilian let me know as I have some 1.5 square x 18" for sale.

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
It doesn't look like Brazilian to me. I am no expert but I am in the process of building 7 cues with Brazilian and have a good supply of it. I have also made several guitars from it. I notice that block is only 9 inches square which makes it fine for a bowl but pretty useless for a cue. If you need some Brazilian let me know as I have some 1.5 square x 18" for sale.

Pieces this size are good for short points and buttsleeves.

@ Arnot, I never planned to get this piece for that price anyways. LOLz, given the sellers 100% feedback I have to say he isn't out to defraud anyone. But also this piece will probably never sell either.