Business Any Better

highrun55

can`t make a ball anymore
Silver Member
Anyone noticing a pick up in business yet?

My day business is good but after 6:00 its slow. Even the weekends, I would like to know what they are doing so I could maybe compete. They do tell me their money is tight.

I got the word yesterday to get the rent caught up or I will have to go.

Just great huh. Well I have a couple options im working on to stay. Hate to throw 16 yrs down the drain.

Good Luck Boys & Girls, im still waiting on my bail out. LOL

highrun55

The Pool Hall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has been better for me the last two weeks. I was only open thursday, friday and saturday until this week. Now open tue-sat but I own the building and work full time also. My customers seem to have money but expect alot for nothing or FREE. Do you have leagues currently?

highrun55

Silver Member
It has been better for me the last two weeks. I was only open thursday, friday and saturday until this week. Now open tue-sat but I own the building and work full time also. My customers seem to have money but expect alot for nothing or FREE. Do you have leagues currently?

Been trying to get APA, APL or BCA, have had 14and1.com straight pool leagues for 2 yrs now, my guys have won the championships 2 yrs in a row.

I hear all the time IF ITS FREE ITS FOR ME. LOL

HIGHRUN55

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
My business has picked up. Started up new round of tournaments. Pool table repairs are steady. Did some advertising with local radio. Got a lot of great feedback when we put in our heated billiard table. Lots of work just to make a minimal increase in income.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone noticing a pick up in business yet?

My day business is good but after 6:00 its slow. Even the weekends, I would like to know what they are doing so I could maybe compete. They do tell me their money is tight.

I got the word yesterday to get the rent caught up or I will have to go.

Just great huh. Well I have a couple options im working on to stay. Hate to throw 16 yrs down the drain.

Good Luck Boys & Girls, im still waiting on my bail out. LOL

highrun55

i really hope it works out for you, i have followed your posts for a very long time. keep working with the Landlord-he wont want you to go most likely, unless he has someone ready to take over your space, and in this market thats doubtful. I have 50 tenants in different buildings and were in negoations with almost all of them. If I losr them I'm a done deal. So far we lost 40%, as they had ZERO $$$. I have no prospects for amyone to fill the spaces. Vegas is in a depression, Its worse here than anywhere else I have seen.

I wish you the very best, if i can help email me at:

ep90210@hotmail.com

best,
eric

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a owner but things where I play are picking up. House leagues have started, 8 and 9 ball and they have added a twist.
When leagues are over they offer a 9 ball tournament every night for a price players can't resist. League players, $3.00 and non league players, $4.00 winner takes all. That includes free table time.
They're different then you. They have a restaurant and serve drinks. My guess is keeping customers in house eating and drinking is better then everyone rushing home and empty tables sitting all night. It's working.
I've been followed your posts for a very long time also. You have the type of place I would call home. I don't need no stinking music blasting or drinks or drunks and loud games to distract me.

I wish you the best.
Fenwick

highrun55

Silver Member
i really hope it works out for you, i have followed your posts for a very long time. keep working with the Landlord-he wont want you to go most likely, unless he has someone ready to take over your space, and in this market thats doubtful. I have 50 tenants in different buildings and were in negoations with almost all of them. If I losr them I'm a done deal. So far we lost 40%, as they had ZERO $$$. I have no prospects for amyone to fill the spaces. Vegas is in a depression, Its worse here than anywhere else I have seen.

I wish you the very best, if i can help email me at:

ep90210@hotmail.com

best,
eric

Thanks Eric,
My two sons came to my rescue and bailed me out for my back rent, now I must cut back and eliminate wasted money. Good luck to you to

Mickey

highrun55

Silver Member
Not a owner but things where I play are picking up. House leagues have started, 8 and 9 ball and they have added a twist.
When leagues are over they offer a 9 ball tournament every night for a price players can't resist. League players, $3.00 and non league players, $4.00 winner takes all. That includes free table time.
They're different then you. They have a restaurant and serve drinks. My guess is keeping customers in house eating and drinking is better then everyone rushing home and empty tables sitting all night. It's working.
I've been followed your posts for a very long time also. You have the type of place I would call home. I don't need no stinking music blasting or drinks or drunks and loud games to distract me.

I wish you the best.
Fenwick

Thanks for your interest.

Mickey

HOB Weert

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep motivated and brainstorm new ideas...

I think most poolhalls have/had a rough time.
I did the following:

- Early week deal: Monday & Tuesday play 2 hours, 3rd hour is free.

- I open at 18.30 hour, i did in the summer Free Pool from 19.00 till 20.00 and when it was 20.00 the lights would go out and on in a split second and then the normal rate was active. Most people did not noticed and played on for an hour or more...

- Organized tournaments entryfee is prizemoney, i only add money when the field is full, so if i had a tournament i said on the poster that the prizemoney is guaranteed when 64 or 128 players have entered the tournament.
Like this $25 entryfee - maximum 64 players - Total prizemoney $2000,- (in small words: guaranteed when the field is full) !
So if you have 64 players you have to add $400,- but you make more money on drinks and food.
If you have like 59 players x $25,- = $1475, you only add like $125 to show the players that you still added some...
Players don't mind because they read beforehand that the $2000 were only guaranteed when the field was full...

- If you are able to do cue-repairs, you could do a "winter maintenance" or "start of the season maintenance" on cues.
People pay say $25/$35 for a check up/maintenance, you clean the cue, remove dings from the shaft, new tip, new bumper etc. all the small stuff
Leagues and tournaments start and people want their cue ready for the new season!

- Then we have the moneypool over here wich always do good, organize them on a (slow) weeknight or a Saturdayafternoon.
$10 entryfee, $7,50 for the tournament prizes, and $2,50 go to the jackpot for the end of the season.
A ranking is attached to the tournament and a final will be played at the end of the season with the jackpot at stake.
Sometimes we do a Super-moneypool, double points, double entryfee, double prizes.
One week we do 9-ball double KO, the other week 8-ball ABC System.

Hope this helps...

MH
HOB Weert

highrun55

Silver Member
I think most poolhalls have/had a rough time.
I did the following:

- Early week deal: Monday & Tuesday play 2 hours, 3rd hour is free.

- I open at 18.30 hour, i did in the summer Free Pool from 19.00 till 20.00 and when it was 20.00 the lights would go out and on in a split second and then the normal rate was active. Most people did not noticed and played on for an hour or more...

- Organized tournaments entryfee is prizemoney, i only add money when the field is full, so if i had a tournament i said on the poster that the prizemoney is guaranteed when 64 or 128 players have entered the tournament.
Like this $25 entryfee - maximum 64 players - Total prizemoney $2000,- (in small words: guaranteed when the field is full) !
So if you have 64 players you have to add $400,- but you make more money on drinks and food.
If you have like 59 players x $25,- = $1475, you only add like $125 to show the players that you still added some...
Players don't mind because they read beforehand that the $2000 were only guaranteed when the field was full...

- If you are able to do cue-repairs, you could do a "winter maintenance" or "start of the season maintenance" on cues.
People pay say $25/$35 for a check up/maintenance, you clean the cue, remove dings from the shaft, new tip, new bumper etc. all the small stuff
Leagues and tournaments start and people want their cue ready for the new season!

- Then we have the moneypool over here wich always do good, organize them on a (slow) weeknight or a Saturdayafternoon.
$10 entryfee, $7,50 for the tournament prizes, and $2,50 go to the jackpot for the end of the season.
A ranking is attached to the tournament and a final will be played at the end of the season with the jackpot at stake.
Sometimes we do a Super-moneypool, double points, double entryfee, double prizes.
One week we do 9-ball double KO, the other week 8-ball ABC System.

Hope this helps...

MH
HOB Weert

All good ideas, thanks

highrun55

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Highrun- just curious. You stopped smoking on your own if I remember. How did that go for you?

I used to have great success with specials. Afternoon was $7 flat fee and you could play 12-6. After 6 I had a $10 special 6-close. And then I had the all day special $15. All had to be paid in advance. If the special was not taken at the time they picked up the balls- they would be charged the regular hourly rate. And I stuck to my guns on that. The night special was great on weekends. Two couples would come in together, I'd explain the special and they could play all night. They would all do the special. But usually they would only stay 1 1/2 hours or 2 hours max. Would make out way better.

Bob

highrun55

Silver Member
Still trying every day

Highrun- just curious. You stopped smoking on your own if I remember. How did that go for you?

I used to have great success with specials. Afternoon was $7 flat fee and you could play 12-6. After 6 I had a $10 special 6-close. And then I had the all day special $15. All had to be paid in advance. If the special was not taken at the time they picked up the balls- they would be charged the regular hourly rate. And I stuck to my guns on that. The night special was great on weekends. Two couples would come in together, I'd explain the special and they could play all night. They would all do the special. But usually they would only stay 1 1/2 hours or 2 hours max. Would make out way better.

Bob

My day business is ok, but nights just suck, 7-7:30 to close I sit here waiting for anyone to come in the door,

The smoking was ok when I stopped it for my own health, easier for customers to understand, but when the state made it a law it hurt big time.

if I get to Jan i`ll be surprised. I got a loan from my sons to get caught up and it looks like Novembers rent will be light again.

If a big room with millions of people around like Comet Billiards can`t make it what chance do I have ?

Good luck to all of us, I do a rain dance every day to bring in people but it dont work anymore. lol

highrun55

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ahhhh....I remember those days. I've was there myself. I think in the final analysis, I think they just lost interest in the game. Now that things are slow for you no one comes in because no one is there. Nothing makes a crowd like a crowd.

I wish I had some idea that would help you. Just don't make the same mistake I did. I tried and I tried and I borrowed money and I used all our savings. I should have closed it a year before.

Good luck Micky.
Bob

accustatsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hat's off to you pool room owners.

I wanted to open a small pool hall (because I like pool) but I don't think it's a good return (in my area) for the effort.

I have a real estate business and I always tell my wife:

Rule#1 We're the only ones who care if we make it.

Rule#2 This isn't a govt organization supported by the tax dollars and efforts of people who make a living.

Rule#3 When you're tired refer to rule#1

highrun55

Silver Member
Hat's off to you pool room owners.

I wanted to open a small pool hall (because I like pool) but I don't think it's a good return (in my area) for the effort.

I have a real estate business and I always tell my wife:

Rule#1 We're the only ones who care if we make it.

Rule#2 This isn't a govt organization supported by the tax dollars and efforts of people who make a living.

Rule#3 When you're tired refer to rule#1

So True

Thanks

highrun55

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
I doubt if the no-smoking is the issue. The fact that I allow smoking is my number one complaint from the public. More the economy. People like to spend as little as possible. Start with giving coupons to the daytime people for one night a week like Wednesdays for half off pool or something. Some might come in. Some might attract others by having cars on the lot.

highrun55

Silver Member
I doubt if the no-smoking is the issue. The fact that I allow smoking is my number one complaint from the public. More the economy. People like to spend as little as possible. Start with giving coupons to the daytime people for one night a week like Wednesdays for half off pool or something. Some might come in. Some might attract others by having cars on the lot.

Have had coupons since day one. got a new one now that the customers hand out to new players they meet that have never been in my room, if they bring one in, the regular customer gets 1/2 hour credit for each one turned in.

Not one yet after 3 weeks, your right people dont want to spend at this time.

thanks Craig

highrun55

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
No Ball Knockers!!!

Hi,

Unemployment is the problem with decreasing revenues.

I have a 11,000 sq. ft room with 25 tables and a bar with a little food. The smoking ban did not hurt us as they just go outside for their
smokes. My bar business has pretty much stayed the same give or take. I have 5 leagues and that's going good.

The ball knockers who come in to just have fun and are not any good at the game have vanished. I seem to see only serious players come in.

If you can hang in there for another 6 months to a year the jobs will pick up and people will go back to playing pool for fun with the extra money.

I am very lucky to have over 200 league members in my room because they make it happen for me on weekday nights.

Rick Geschrey

Lazerrus

I LUV CURLY MAPLE!!!!!
Gold Member
Silver Member
It was sad when I went to my local hall on Saturday at 2pm and it was still closed. Sign still said noon. I mean wow this was a Saturday. 9-ball tourney day. Not sure what happened but it doesn't help matters when they don't even open on posted time. When I've been in there have been plenty of people in there and on Saturday nights they do black light rock pool which is an attraction for the college crowd. The table rails are lined with neon and special balls and they crank the jukebox. Not real pool but it does give them some business.

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
Idea I have been bouncing around in my head is to give a customer discounted pool ALL the time if I am allowed to put a window advertisement or Bumper sticker. Not just the little ones but something decent sized on their cars. If they have a job like pizzas where they are driving around a lot it might be good advertising. What do you guys think of this idea?