Any thoughts on the Players HXT Line?

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine recently joined my APA team and seems to caught pool fever. I loaned him one of my cues when he started so he didn't have to buy a cue before he was sure he was going to continue past the first session.

He's basically a 3/4 player who has potential to improve.

So here's the point of my question. He asked me what type of cue he could get for around $100. After looking around I came across the Players HXT line of cues and for slightly more than a c-note he'll get a cue with a kamui soft tip and what players describes as low deflection ferrule.

With the tip alone being 20% of the cost of the cue how good can these cues be? Anyone with experience playing with them?

A few months ago I bought my son a low end McDermott cue (He's in the military and living in the barracks so no expensive stuff right now) that came with a warped butt or bad pin so I'm a little leery on recommending the low end McDermotts.

Any recommendations?

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put an HXT shaft on my $1,000 custom cue after trying about 20 cue/shaft combinations. Nuff said.

My son won the Jr State championship with an Players HXTE10 cue, which has a wood to wood joint. I've had two friends try the cue, one has a Mike Webb another a 90s McDermott, Mike Dechaine also played a bit with the cue, they all liked it.

A friend of mine bought this model http://www.seyberts.com/products/Pure_X_by_Players_HXT90_Pool_Cue-103317-10161.html
He sold it for $200 to someone that saw it and wanted it right there.

Great value cues. They also went up in price by like 25% over the last year or two, so that shows that the value is there and people were snapping them up so they had some leeway to up the price and still have sales. A bit over $100 for most models, but a used one should fall at $100.

Last edited:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
My first cue (two years ago) was a Player's HXTE10. It's a great cue. The only reason I replaced it with an OB121 is that I discovered that I preferred a wrapless cue (I was new to pool at the time and thought "with wrap must be better than without, right?" Well, not for me...but it's a great cue.

Like hang's experience, some of my more experienced friends played with my HXTE10 and really liked it.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
You're first cue was two years ago? You're like a little pool baby :smile:

At the age of 58! I wish I'd learned the game when I still had good eyes and a flexible back.

Okay, back to the thread...let's get some more reviews of Player's for Pog.

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
I highly doubt the tip is 20 percent of the cue cost. They produce tens of thousands of cues and I'm sure they get a tremendous discount. I would be surprised if they are paying more than a few dollars per tip.

Seems to me that cue is an excellent choice for him.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the input. I feel comfortable recommending that he go in this direction. Obviously the decision will be his.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Players HXT is the easiest recommend ever. I tried one for some time and for the price it is awesome. If you are willing to pay a little more there are other cues that may be considered, but at this price point there is nothing even close that I know of.

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
+1

Technically they are now called 'Pure X', and not Players cues.. I sell more Players / Pure X cues than all others combined. Part of that is because I recommend them over all others in the under $175 price range. They just can't be beat for the value.. And they DO play good to boot!

PM me if he wants a better deal on the HXT line of cues than he will find anywhere else.. I have just about all of them in stock also, and with choice of other 12.75mm shaft or the 'Slim' 11.75mm shaft...

Rain-Man

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I highly doubt the tip is 20 percent of the cue cost. They produce tens of thousands of cues and I'm sure they get a tremendous discount. I would be surprised if they are paying more than a few dollars per tip.

Seems to me that cue is an excellent choice for him.

They use Kamui Soft tips as standard. I think even if they buy directly from Kamui they would be over $10.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Before our pool hall closed, we used to have a 9 Ball Sat tourney, well, every Sat.

There was a young Filipino player that would play, he could hold his own on the table.
As if anyone of them can't.

Anyway, he had bought himself a Players cue, $125. Very nice maple front with a black handle and maple sleeve. Obviously I was able to view the cue up close and hit a few balls with it.

For the money, I would say that it is very hard to beat. It was a well made cue.

Recently, Ryan from Muellers refinished a Predator cue for me. I had a bit of money into the cue and wanted to try and keep the cost down a bit. I had bought the cue without a shaft.

Instead of ordering one Predator shaft, I ordered 3 Players HXT shafts for it.
Two, 12.75 mm and one 11.75 mm.

When I got the package and inspected the shafts, I will say that I am pleased with what I received.

I haven't got the cue back yet but am excited about trying the shafts on the cue.

I'm not saying that a Players HXT LD shaft will play like a Predator shaft, but for the level of game that I play, I expect that they will play at my expectations.

A little over $300 for 3 LD shafts as opposed to one shaft for $300. Well, we will wait and see.

There is nothing that I can see about these shafts from eye balling them, that instantly will tell me that they will be detrimental to my game.

I will give them the benefit of doubt until I strap one on and see how they play. I do have a 314 and a Z so I do have an idea on how they play.
I will hopefully be able to give them an honest taste test.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
- snip -
I'm not saying that a Players HXT LD shaft will play like a Predator shaft, but for the level of game that I play, I expect that they will play at my expectations.

A little over $300 for 3 LD shafts as opposed to one shaft for $300. Well, we will wait and see.

There is nothing that I can see about these shafts from eye balling them, that instantly will tell me that they will be detrimental to my game.

I will give them the benefit of doubt until I strap one on and see how they play. I do have a 314 and a Z so I do have an idea on how they play.
I will hopefully be able to give them an honest taste test.

They don't play like a Predator, they play BETTER. More deflection but way more feel. I have the thicker shaft with a longer ferrule which is a medium deflection one, the skinny shaft will probably be Predator/OB level in deflection properties. But it feels like a solid shaft. Predator shafts all feel dead and are light which messes with the cue balance.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Well, thats good to know Bud. Like I said, I have 2 Pred shafts and altho they do play well and exactly as advertised, there is nothing to them that make you go wow, I like that feel, or I like that sound.

I do have many other plain maple shafts that are a ton more lively than the Preds.

So, its nice to hear that they are a lively shaft. If they can help me put the balls in the hole, then I will be happy.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great discussion. I have an older Palmer cue that could use a new shaft but I didn't want to spend $200 and never thought about an HXT shaft until it was brought up here. I just might give it a try. Thanks for all the replies.

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think you can go wrong with a Pure X HXT cue or shaft for the money.

If your friend can swing $200 send him here: http://www.seyberts.com/products/HXTP1_Pure_X_Jump_/_Break_Cue-102580-332.html unless Rain-Man can beat that deal on the cue and two shafts.

The jump break cue is great for the money. It comes in black or white. It breaks well, jumps well, and it comes with a free playing shaft that plays well too.
The joint is quick release, so it's not a pain to swap shafts after the break and you don't have to carry multiple cues.

I'm actually taking mine to play BCA and APA tonight.

Last edited:

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
I don't think you can go wrong with a Pure X HXT cue or shaft for the money.

If your friend can swing $200 send him here: http://www.seyberts.com/products/HXTP1_Pure_X_Jump_/_Break_Cue-102580-332.html unless Rain-Man can beat that deal on the cue and two shafts.

The jump break cue is great for the money. It comes in black or white. It breaks well, jumps well, and it comes with a free playing shaft that plays well too.
The joint is quick release, so it's not a pain to swap shafts after the break and you don't have to carry multiple cues.

I'm actually taking mine to play BCA and APA tonight.

Yep, I can beat it easily...

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, I can beat it easily...

I wish I'd have known when I bought mine.

I do occasionally recommend the set to people. Could you PM me your price for the break cue, the playing shaft, and the combo for future reference, please?