Earl Strickland at the Snooker World Championships?

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This has appeared on Earl's facebook feed today:

"Just received a message from my buddy Kenn Fong that Steve Davis just said at the close of today's afternoon session of the Masters Snooker Final that there will be 16 wild card invitation to the World Championships and said they might be inviting me and Allison Fisher."

Wow!

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl "The Pearl" Strickland playing Snooker? I'd believe it. He played Pyramid for a brief moment.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll be watching. I think snooker is the hardest cue sport on earth and if earl can assimilate he could make some real money. Snooker players our rock stars. Allison is a former world champion so she should have no problem.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBnky4De76E

If you doubt how tough the equipment is they play on Check out earl playing 8 ball on a snooker table in the china world championships. I consider 8 ball a simple game on our equipment. Play it on a snooker table suddenly simple outs our not so simple.

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll be watching. I think snooker is the hardest cue sport on earth and if earl can assimilate he could make some real money. Snooker players our rock stars. Allison is a former world champion so she should have no problem.

Again, very much doubt she will reach round two. Back in the day she was allowed to play in some mens snooker events, but never went far, and that was when she was concentrating purely on snooker. I would say her game will have diminished a bit since then.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Again, very much doubt she will reach round two. Back in the day she was allowed to play in some mens snooker events, but never went far, and that was when she was concentrating purely on snooker. I would say her game will have diminished a bit since then.

i would be surprised to. Not that I don't think an american player could be a great snooker player but it's not something you can just go play. With the money out there for pro snooker players if american players could play it they would lol

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, as far as I know, Alex Pagaluyan is about the best snooker player from North America, and he wasn't able to get through the qualifying for a tour card last year. Way easier to migrate from Snooker to Pool and make it to the top than vice versa.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
Love him to bits!:thumbup:

hehehehe!

i was just talking about this a few days ago, and part of the conversation was that "they LOVE Earl - or they love to HATE him".... but the big difference is, that when yáll "love to HATE him", it's simply what yáll do & how yáll are. you don't really HATE him - it's a form of RESPECT for his game (cause he beats your players ;)).

but here, when we HATE him, it's just that.

the US doesn't get it. but that's ok, as long as it's working for Earl & Matchroom & Europe & pool (& snooker).

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hehehehe!

i was just talking about this a few days ago, and part of the conversation was that "they LOVE Earl - or they love to HATE him".... but the big difference is, that when yáll "love to HATE him", it's simply what yáll do & how yáll are. you don't really HATE him - it's a form of RESPECT for his game (cause he beats your players ;)).

but here, when we HATE him, it's just that.

the US doesn't get it. but that's ok, as long as it's working for Earl & Matchroom & Europe & pool (& snooker).

Not sure he has beaten any of our players any time recently ;)

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although I know the odds are against him, I would love to see Earl win a few matches in snooker. He is a fantastic player and it would be great to see him perform well.

Are there any links for streaming?

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's almost like a bye for a proper snooker player

That was my first thought. :thumbup:
Hope it's not true. Snooker is a complete different game with an illustrious history that speaks for itself. Don't think I'll tune in if they turn the Crucible fortnight in to a Circus...

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be interesting to watch. He has been playing on tables in China with the rounded points so he may be acclimated to that type of table but I'm not sure how he would adjust to the smaller shaft of a snooker cue.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Firstly a 9ft Chinese table isn't a snooker table. They're so much more daunting in comparison simply because of the size.

Secondly, Earl literally doesn't stand a chance. Would be a waste of a wild card when they have home grown up and coming talents in the UK they could invite.

He might as well pull his pants down now whilst someone goes to fetch a spank paddle.

thewhiffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Firstly a 9ft Chinese table isn't a snooker table. They're so much more daunting in comparison simply because of the size.

Secondly, Earl literally doesn't stand a chance.

True, it is more daunting, but a snooker table is only about 20.5 inches longer and 10 inches wider than the 10 footer Earl likes. Maybe a cerebral game like snooker would make him actually focus.

Agreed that his chances are not great but it would be fun to watch and that, folks, would be ENTERTAINMENT.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sounds like Matchroom likes Earl, and so do the Brits.
;)

Don't they have a crowd chant song only for earl? Something like "there's only one earl STRICKLAND! There's only one earl STRICKLAND!"

I thought one of the mosconi cups the crowd was cheering that.

They love hate him. Haha

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This has appeared on Earl's facebook feed today:

"Just received a message from my buddy Kenn Fong that Steve Davis just said at the close of today's afternoon session of the Masters Snooker Final that there will be 16 wild card invitation to the World Championships and said they might be inviting me and Allison Fisher."

Wow!

Don't even talk about technical aspect, Earl first has to clear the stringent snooker etiquette first
At C8B Masters earlier this month, Earl was spooking Hendry with his non stop chit chat - I mean that is almost unheard of in snooker :D