Cue Building Equipment, Tools, Gizmos Cost

UWPoolGod1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys,
Haven't posted on AZB in a while but have been throwing around the idea of picking up cue building as a new hobby. At least fiddle around with it for something to do in the garage. If you were going to estimate how much money it takes to get the proper items to get started what would it be? I figure you obviously need at least the following:

Lathe (thinking a Cuesmith deluxe)
Shaft lathe (or will the Cuesmith do it?)
Bandsaw or table saw
Routers
Dust collection setup
Bits
Jigs
Micrometers and measuring devices
Vices
Tooling
Finish spraying equipment
Compressor
What power do I need?

Obviously, wood, veneers, pins, buttcaps, joints, bumpers, glue, epoxy, clear coats, and the misc items are in addition to the above.

Then get into CNC stuff down the road.

Whatcha think? How much stuff did I leave out? I have the typical household garage tools. LOL

JC

Coos Cues
Hey guys,
Haven't posted on AZB in a while but have been throwing around the idea of picking up cue building as a new hobby. At least fiddle around with it for something to do in the garage. If you were going to estimate how much money it takes to get the proper items to get started what would it be? I figure you obviously need at least the following:

Lathe (thinking a Cuesmith deluxe)
Shaft lathe (or will the Cuesmith do it?)
Bandsaw or table saw
Routers
Dust collection setup
Bits
Jigs
Micrometers and measuring devices
Vices
Tooling
Finish spraying equipment
Compressor
What power do I need?

Obviously, wood, veneers, pins, buttcaps, joints, bumpers, glue, epoxy, clear coats, and the misc items are in addition to the above.

Then get into CNC stuff down the road.

Whatcha think? How much stuff did I leave out? I have the typical household garage tools. LOL

I was in your position a year and a half ago. I have spent 25k of which 7k is wood of various types including shaft wood. There are still some things I would like to have for sure. I keep telling myself that it all has residual value as long as I never have to sell it in a hurry.

Pretty damned expensive hobby.....

JC

UWPoolGod1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah probably about what I expected and with a newborn I will have to string the purchases out. I have been getting some good tax returns and decent bonus' from work somImcould start to piece it together fairly quickly while tinkering. Also have some finish carpenter friends who might not need some additional tools and equipment. I found another great thread addressing the same things so I may have answers my own questions but will always take other info. Chris' Cuebuilding book should be here mid next week.

Thanks!

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems like you have listed the most important things, but I would change a few things.
If you have the space I would recomend a 12" x 36" or bigger lathe.
If you wan't a separate taper setup, go for a CNC system right away, it will save you money in the long run.
To get you going, buy shafts that only need a final turn, that gives you time to work on your own shafts, without messing up your production run.

BigDon

DESi Customs
Silver Member
You could start like a bunch of us did and do repairs to start with. This will give you time to collect and condition your wood, get some experience and make some money. I have paid for all my stuff from doing repairs. I started with one of these http://midamericapool.com/index_files/Page331.htm

And after all the lathes that have come and gone, I still have this one along with my Unique Cuemaker.

Joe Barringer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, time for my two cents...

I love it when I see these posts and the experts come on and start to say you'll need $25k and 2.5 tons worth of equipment. That's simply not the case. All anyone needs to do is pick up the phone, call Hightower and order one of his full cue lathes. That's all you need. I'll say it again - That's all you need.

Obviously that's all you need to get started but you can make 100 cues using just that lathe. Answer these questions:

1) Have you made any cues
2) Do you have any orders for cues
3) Are people breaking down your doors for your cues

If you answered NO, NO and NO, then all you need is a cue lathe.

To start out with a CNC is beyond insane.

You don't need a band saw, table saw, 12x36 lathe, router, gun drill or any other such nonsense. You haven't made a cue yet so what the heck do you need any of that for!?

To get started just stick to simple and basic. Do some repairs and build some sneaky petes and then progress into plain janes. The cue lathe can handle all that.

Then if you like it and you realize that you need more equipment, then and only then should you begin to invest and purchase additional equipment.

You can start out like that or you can invest $15-$25k and in 6 months to a year later you'll be back on here except your post will once again be in the machinery section but it will be listing all your equipment for sale for one of two reasons:
1) cue building is not for you
2) you need the money

Of course, what do I know and I'm probably mistaken in all this nonsense so good luck with whatever you decide.

Now I can get back to my vacation because I'm really not here.

Last edited:

DanO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe's advise is the route I took 11 years ago and I'm still driving. Consider the repair work as a free education. I've now build around 90 cues using only my deluxe and my home grown CNC that I got about 2K in.

Get the Deluxe with the back chuck and add the bed extension for bar cues. This is a must.

Tell your local pool hall you will do their work @ cost till you get good. Seek out your local gaming supply company that owns the tables at all the bars in your area. Tell them the same thing. Odds are they have 50 or more bar cues sitting in the back room of their main storage building needing work.

Ask around @ local tournaments what tips everyone likes. DON'T take on anything over your head unless you are willing to replace new whatever you are doing. First wrap, first butt cap replacement, yadeyadeada.... China cues are out there for this purpose.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I love it when I see these posts and the experts come on and start to say you'll need $25k and 2.5 tons worth of equipment. That's simply not the case. All anyone needs to do is pick up the phone, call Hightower and order one of his full cue lathes. That's all you need. I'll say it again - That's all you need.

Obviously that's all you need to get started but you can make 100 cues using just that lathe. Answer these questions:

1) Have a made any cues

You don't need a band saw, table saw, 12x36 lathe, router, gun drill or any other such nonsense. You haven't made a cue yet so what the heck do you need any of that for!?

To get started just stick to simple and basic. Do some repairs and build some sneaky petes and then progress into plain janes. The cue lathe can handle all that.

Then if you like it and you realize that you need more equipment, then and only then should you begin to invest and purchase additional equipment.

You can start out like that or you can invest $15-$25k and in 6 months to a year later you'll be back on here except your post will once again be in the machinery section but it will be listing all your equipment for sale for one of two reasons:
2) you need the money

Of course, what do I know and I'm probably mistaken in all this nonsense so good luck with whatever you decide.

You could be right about that Joe. But the guy is pretty clear about his budget.
And if I was starting out like that, I would buy machinery best suited for what he want`s to do.
A cuesmith deluxe with all the trimmings costs about the same as a Grizzly 12" x 36" and a Xzero CNC setup costs about 20% more than a Unique taper shaper, but gives you much more room to grow.
As for bandsaws, grinders and such, you can pick that stuff up quite cheap and save a few bucks by buying used.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Joe is right about you being able to spend a lot of money you don't need to spend right away. For example I had a customer get a lathe from me and then without asking any advice ordered 15 gallons of auto clear coat and all the reducer and hardener it needed to go with it, as he thought he would be using it really fast. He actually had some kind of special law enforcement come to see him wanting to know why heed had purchased so much flammable materials.

I like the advice to get the Deluxe and see where it takes you. Many build a few cues and do repairs and are just fine there. Others keep adding equipment and supplies and go full blown spending crazy with it and that is fine too. Many who thought it is all joy building cues decide it is not for them and sell their equipment later.

Starting with a ready to use cue lathe right out of the box makes the learning curve easier and then you can add more equipment later if you find the need for it.

JC

Coos Cues

1) Have a made any cues

2) you need the money

I didn't say you need 25 k to start. I spent that because I can and I like what I spent it on. With the exception of my last lathe purchase.:) The very first thing I purchased was a hightower lathe. Very good advice. I noticed you never tried to talk me out of buying wood from you when I ordered it. Wood I didn't need.

I have over 750k invested in tools and equipment for my auto repair shop, much of which I could operate without. Did I mention I like tools? And as you said, if I find cue building is not for me, it all has residual value. I have done quite a bit of repairs but not for the money, but for the experience. Frankly repairing every day cues doesn't compare to repairing Mercedes and BMW income wise.

Enjoy your vacation! I have my shop closed between Christmas and New Years and wouldn't have it any other way.

JC

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think most are right, depending on where you want to go and how you want to get there.

One large cost is wood that you will buy now and not use for sale for at least a year.

You can buy some old house cues and some shafts that only need a couple of more passes. This will help you perfect two things, off setting the butt end with a shim to bring your points even and the art of dead nuts center boring drilling tapping the male and female for your joint pin and shafts.

I have never met a Cue Maker that didn't say I wish I had a little more room and some burn money because I would like to buy (??????????).

Cue making can be like a Drug Addiction. You get to a point and you want to go to another level and that next level always costs.

If I were you and my town was packed with Pool Halls and Bar League players I would hone my Tip and ferrule replacement to perfection and become the go to guy.

Have fun on your journey, try to keep your day job money seperate after initial buy and use made money on cue things for upgrades.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
You're gonna need a humidifier for sure. Or you're gonna have plenty of crooked and cracked woods there in SBC.

Last edited:

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Starting slow

I've played around cue building for a few years.
Had a couple lathes, Cuesmith Deluxe, Porper model B and a basic 4 foot bed lathe with a large headstock chuck.

I have built nice sneaky Petes and conversions on them all. Nothing I'm ever going to sell, but really nice work.

Take your time, buy what you need in materials for a couple cues you want to build. No need to get crazy. If you do go onto it for an income source it's a tough market and only getting tougher with less players and more cues every day . I do it for enjoyment of this aspect of the game. I buy alot of cues to collect and trade so it's just an extension of that for me.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Wish I could send some of my humidity your way! I can't get rid of it fast enough :frown:

Lol
It could be raining outside, and it would still be some 50% only inside.
Then down to 30% the day after.
But, we have the best climate for cue making though
That is if you're within half an hour from the ocean or so.
The desert area is brutal.

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
advice

I have to say that Joe Barringer gave the most concise, plain spoken advice that I have heard on AZ in a very long time.
That clarity from someone who could have tried to benefit from the question.

I had the experience of speaking to Joe on the phone oonce when I started ordering materials. I asked a dumb question and was quickly dispatched. It was about which products were included his BOGO advertising emails. He told me to read it again - and hung up! I was put off, of course. I then read the email through slowly and carefully. The answer was, in fact - there. I guess it was a lesson of simplicity. Since then I have watched Joe's videos and seen his demeanor and teaching style. He is very matter of fact, and plain spoken. I think that this industry needs more of that. He actually has my respect now.

Buy the lathe - buy Joe and Chris' videos. Take your time and enjoy yourself. Make sure cue making is a good fit for you and go from there. Make cues that YOU like. Don't let other people dictate how you make them. Good luck.

Brad Hamel
Hamel Custom Cues

vacation

Living Good.
Silver Member
I have to say that Joe Barringer gave the most concise, plain spoken advice that I have heard on AZ in a very long time.
That clarity from someone who could have tried to benefit from the question.

I had the experience of speaking to Joe on the phone oonce when I started ordering materials. I asked a dumb question and was quickly dispatched. It was about which products were included his BOGO advertising emails. He told me to read it again - and hung up! I was put off, of course. I then read the email through slowly and carefully. The answer was, in fact - there. I guess it was a lesson of simplicity. Since then I have watched Joe's videos and seen his demeanor and teaching style. He is very matter of fact, and plain spoken. I think that this industry needs more of that. He actually has my respect now.

Buy the lathe - buy Joe and Chris' videos. Take your time and enjoy yourself. Make sure cue making is a good fit for you and go from there. Make cues that YOU like. Don't let other people dictate how you make them. Good luck.

Brad Hamel
Hamel Custom Cues

Agreed. It's obviously harder to find, but Dieckman gives a great spiel on this topic in his first volume as well.

I for one have been very slowly putting stuff together. I don't have the time or money to throw down quickly on anything, and in hindsight, I really wish I would have just saved and purchased a lathe from Chris or Todd. Seems to be the best intro lathe to grow.

SpiderWeb

iisgone@yahoo.com
Silver Member
Try to go see cue makers near you and ask many questions and you will see how they do it. After you visit a few you will have a better understanding, and hopefully they wont try to sell you anything that you dont need. Take your time before you buy anything as its easy to buy things you dont need.

Travis Niklich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just my opinion.

I wouldn't have a use for a "cue lathe" in my shop if you gave me one.

I would search around for a nice old american made lathe like a Clausing or Logan. I would stay away from most South Bend lathes as they had bushing head stocks instead of bearings.

I would also check with the local trade school to take a couple classes on how to use the manual lathe and mill, If you can't find a school I would post a add or find a machinist that you can pay for some classes.

If you are willing to learn you will be able to build most other stuff with a machinist lathe and a vertical mill.

There are some good YouTube (Mrpete222 and Toms techniques) channels that I recommend to my students that will show you a lot of machinist stuff just have to adapt it to cues.