Secrets to Racking the balls loose

UWPoolGod1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had an APA 7 mud rack me twice in our set a few weeks ago. I hit the center consistenly center and solid. It got me thinking about what it takes to do that. I don't have Racking Secrets by Tucker but thought about this the other day. I was talking to someone and he said that all you have to do it put the whites touching on any pair of balls and it will break less strong. (i.e. the white on the stripes or the numbers on the solids) He said that because there was no colored coat on that spot it was softer there and wouldn't break at hard. And the more you get lined up that way the softer it'll break. He was dead serious. I figure him for a retard anyway, but just wanted to hear your thoughts on that.

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
square

UWPoolGod1 said:
I had an APA 7 mud rack me twice in our set a few weeks ago. I hit the center consistenly center and solid. It got me thinking about what it takes to do that. I don't have Racking Secrets by Tucker but thought about this the other day. I was talking to someone and he said that all you have to do it put the whites touching on any pair of balls and it will break less strong. (i.e. the white on the stripes or the numbers on the solids) He said that because there was no colored coat on that spot it was softer there and wouldn't break at hard. And the more you get lined up that way the softer it'll break. He was dead serious. I figure him for a retard anyway, but just wanted to hear your thoughts on that.

In my opinion, those who rack and cheat doing it, are just that. "CHEATS". I have played lots of pool and have always give a good "HONEST RACK". I was a champion sailor, archer, swimmer, and so on. Anyone who cheats, is not very high In his book either.
Check the rack. Some are not honest as you have found out.JUST RACK-UM LIKE YOU WOULD WANT THEM FOR YOUR BREAK.

Now adays, your honest or a cheat.
I would rather die broke, knowing that I didn't steal from anyone, THAN LIVE WITH THE THOUGHT THAT I TOOK ADVANTAGE OF SOMEONE.
Some as we all know, have NO HONOR.
blud

B

banker bob

blud said:
In my opinion, those who rack and cheat doing it, are just that. "CHEATS". I have played lots of pool and have always give a good "HONEST RACK". I was a champion sailor, archer, swimmer, and so on. Anyone who cheats, is not very high In his book either.
Check the rack. Some are not honest as you have found out.JUST RACK-UM LIKE YOU WOULD WANT THEM FOR YOUR BREAK.

Now adays, your honest or a cheat.
I would rather die broke, knowing that I didn't steal from anyone, THAN LIVE WITH THE THOUGHT THAT I TOOK ADVANTAGE OF SOMEONE.
Some as we all know, have NO HONOR.
blud

Slug racking is nothing but dis honest cheating. The game is so filled with this there are now only two alternatives, use a sardo rack, or insist the winner racks his own balls.

prewarhero

guess my avatar
Silver Member
in 8 ball i would never do a sloppy rack because that just makes it harder for me to run out when it is my turn. And, if my opponent can break and run out then more power to him.
However, one thing in nine ball that is not cheating is when you rack put the two ball in the second to last row in the diamond and the three ball in the second to the top row. If your opponenent is good, the one ball goes down table and the two stays up at the top. This means he has to make a shot on the one and come all the back for the two and then go all the way back up for the three. I don't think this is cheating since this only works a small percentage of the time, you are making a solid tight rack and there is no order to rack in nine ball except the one and the nine. Right?

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rack

banker bob said:
Slug racking is nothing but dis honest cheating. The game is so filled with this there are now only two alternatives, use a sardo rack, or insist the winner racks his own balls.[/QUOTE

I prefer an open top rack. The one you spoke of, will "NOT", rack-um tight. The only way it will, is to tap the balls in place, then rack them up... Try the rack your, speaking of, off to the side, and or on the other end of the table. [DO NOT TAP THEM IN]. Try and get them tight without TAPING. good luck.
blud

PS, taping balls in is not good on the table and darn sure not fair to the next guy up.....Taping, make holes and dents in the cloth. Let the balls sit as they should...the hell with taping.

Troy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't give "scientific" reasons, but my opinion is that with a decent set of balls the technique you mention will NOT work as described. Next time check the rack and don't accept it until you're satisfied.

Troy
UWPoolGod1 said:

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
On Racking

I whites touching concept is crap. Not true in the slightest.

There are ways to rack the balls so they will break like crap though. People often worry about the top ball being frozen to the next two balls in a rack but this actually does not cause much of a problem. The one trick I have learned by way of other players and tested to great effect in practice is in a rack of 8-ball when racking you spin the 2 outside balls in the 4th row (the one with 4 balls). The right hand side you spin counter clockwise and the left side you spin clockwise when facing the back of the rack from the rackers perspective. What this does is cause a gap between the 2 middle balls behind the 8-ball and it causes the balls to break really bad. This rack can be done by someone such that a person can be watching you rack and not even see you do it as the move looks just like other ball spinning various people do to try to get a tight rack and really good people I have seen spin those two balls as a final move as they lift the rack. Very few people even when they check the rack will notice the gap this leaves as they always worry about the balls higher in the rack. The one problem with the rack if you ever used it on someone during some important match is the break can be so terrible that the person knows for a fact you screwed up the rack, sometimes getting 4 balls to hit the rail can be difficult even when you drill them square when this rack is put on ya well.

In 9-ball the reverse can be true I find though. Last time I played a pro 9-ball event it was rack your own races to 9. Every good player was racking the balls in the exact same way every time with each ball in the same place in the rack in order to create a easy pattern that happpend time after time, the runouts were almost the same shots from start to finish each rack. The worst I saw though was a certain pro who tends to be decent at trick shots as well make 5 9-balls on the break in a single race to 9. This was the height of lameness due to the fact this guy knew bloody well what he was doing to the racks to make the 9 have a great chance of breaking in and he should have been able to compete without such a low handed approach anyhow due to his experiance.

Playing in the BCA and VNEA competitions in Vegas each year you will play people that will screw with the rack as much as possible, it is probably impossible to win that tournament if you are going out there and giving the best rack you can each time to your opponent.

poolplayer1988

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Easy Run-Out Pattern in a Rack?

How do you rack the balls in 9 ball so that they will break in the same pattern every time for an easy runout? I didn't know there was such a thing...

Doug

B

banker bob

poolplayer1988 said:
How do you rack the balls in 9 ball so that they will break in the same pattern every time for an easy runout? I didn't know there was such a thing...

Doug

123 495 67 8

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
poolplayer1988 said:

Doug

It depends on your break. The side you break from, how hard you break, the angle you hit the 1 ball with (if any), ect... Most people who are breaking in the pros are breaking from the side and hitting the 1 pretty square so that the 1 either goes into the side or if it misses it will bank across to the opposite corner past the headstring. The trick for them is to get the 2 and 3 ball to be up at that end of the table as well, the 4, 5, and 6 to the mid area, and the 7, 8, and 9 towards the bottom end as that is where the 9 will most often go. With the balls clustered like that you don't have to move the cueball much. If your break is extremely consistent you can get a very similar table time after time.

In the WPC qualifier in Calgary Archer was making the wingball every single break pretty much and it was always the 5 ball, he always racked the balls in the exact same pattern and more times then not the balls all went in the same pocket they did on the last runout. He was not nearly the only person doing it, about 1/4 of the field racked the balls in some pattern or another.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
UWPoolGod1 said:
... Racking Secrets by Tucker ... .

This is actually a book (booklet) about how to evaluate a rack made somebody else to know the best approach to use for breaking it.

UWPoolGod1 said:
...all you have to do it put the whites touching on any pair of balls and it will break less strong...

I don't buy this personally.They've all got the same exteriour finish on them regardless of their color.

Sam L

Registered
"there is no controlling legal authority ...."

prewarhero said:
in 8 ball i would never do a sloppy rack because that just makes it harder for me to run out when it is my turn. And, if my opponent can break and run out then more power to him.
However, one thing in nine ball that is not cheating is when you rack put the two ball in the second to last row in the diamond and the three ball in the second to the top row. If your opponenent is good, the one ball goes down table and the two stays up at the top. This means he has to make a shot on the one and come all the back for the two and then go all the way back up for the three. I don't think this is cheating since this only works a small percentage of the time, you are making a solid tight rack and there is no order to rack in nine ball except the one and the nine. Right?

Okay, leave it for a newbie to naively post the rules:

"The object balls are racked in a diamond shape, with the 1-ball at the top of the diamond and on the foot spot, the 9-ball in the center of the diamond, and the other balls in random order, racked as tightly as possible. The game begins with cue ball in hand behind the head string."

ran·dom
adj.
(1) Having no specific pattern, purpose, or objective.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
Can any quality players give me some idea of the quality of the Tucker Racking Secrets book? I think it's unavailable now unless you actually reach the author so I want to save some trouble if the book is not really worth it.

I use to be amazed at the effort Earl used to put in racking the balls; tapping, spinning, squeezing the rack... and it worked because the corner ball started missing the pocket high instead of going in. Freddy Bentivegna says (on a couple Accu-Stats tapes) that nobody lets him rack the balls for very long...even the laziest guy in the world is getting up to rack 'em. I think this was more acceptable in the old days or during gambling matches.

jjinfla

Banned
And of course there is also the guy who has to chalk up before he racks the balls. Now you have some "white stuff".

As far as honesty, or honor as Blud states, read what Mike Davis says in this month's BD about the pros and how they rack. Seems winning is all that matters to them so you can forget that honor stuff.

That honor stuff is for chumps like me, and Blud, and FL.

Jake

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mud rack

You have the opiton to check and except rack, if you break choose to break you have no gripes. learn what to look for then break or do not except rack, I run small game room. I have rack your on. with none breaker has right to check rack, It has helped. OLD MAN STICK

Sam L

Registered
prewarhero said:
Sam L said:
Okay, leave it for a newbie to naively post the rules:

if this was meant to be insulting then BITE ME.

Don't shoot the messenger, I was just answering what looked like a question from you.

"... there is no order to rack in 9-ball except the one and the nine, right?"

I expected a response like "yawn, somebody posted the rules."

"Newbie" is obviously referring to me. As in I have 7 posts, you have 50-something. And as in I posted the rules.

Wally in Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
prewarhero said:
...one thing in nine ball that is not cheating is when you rack put the two ball in the second to last row in the diamond and the three ball in the second to the top row....

Mike Sigel recommends this in his video. Nothing illegal about it. It qualifies as "random" as far as I'm concerned.

BTW If anyone ever noticed, Steve Tipton racks the balls in the exact same order for every game.

billlaur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
speaking of honesty

banker bob said:
Slug racking is nothing but dis honest cheating. The game is so filled with this there are now only two alternatives, use a sardo rack, or insist the winner racks his own balls.
When playing 9 ball and your opponet is shooting out of turn,do you inform him or let him shoot and committ the foul..