Home tables discussion

UWPoolGod1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I have recently moved into a new home and have been looking for a used Diamond table on the west coast with no luck. I can get a new Diamond 7' on order ($5300 delivered) and pay it off after tax/bonus season in the spring. However I was wondering what people thought about the different brand "home" tables that I see all over Craigslist in the mean time (or full time). I see 7', 8', and 9' Olhausen's, Gandy's, Connelly's, Golden West, Brunswick's etc for $1000-$3000. Including some 8' and 9' Gold Crown 1's and 2's. which table brands do you prefer? I guess it depends on the model and what leveling factors they have, rails, etc but wHich brands are Better if not a Diamond?

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love playing on gold crowns. Go with what you like playing on as far as size and brand of table. Diamonds are great, but I just love the look and the way a gold crown plays.

JRusso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much room do you have? I ask because you said a 7' Diamond. I have a Valley bar box that is from the mid 90's and was in pretty fair shape when I acquired it for around $500. I replaced all the rail rubber with Pro cut rails from Ridgeback rails- (on AZ billiards) used Simionis cloth, replaced the pocket liners, legs and trim with part easily sourced from Valley. I doubt I'm even into $1500 and it plays as though it were brand new now. So if you are looking for a 7' table this is a pretty good option in my opinion. I realize its not Diamond, but you will likely have about 4000 reasons to help you get over that. If you want a full size table then that's a different story all together. Gold Crowns are great. But even on the second hand market usually are still $2500 and up. But I will say that timing is everything. If you wait long enough someone will have a table that needs to be removed from its location and speed of removal can be more important than the price they get.

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a 8 foot olhausen but it was a little big for the room. I bought it for 500 hauled it myself and I think I made 500 selling it.

I now have a 7 foot diamond smart table that I picked up which I feel I will always get my money back out of. If I had the room I'd love to have a 9 foot and a 7 footer. Planning on it for the next house and the wife agreed already.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I own a GC4 and love the beauty and classic look of it. Our clubhouse just got Diamond Pro-Am tables and they are absolutely great to play on. I'm hard pressed to say which is better. However I always buy new. I would say buy a new (Diamond) table if you can. You'll never regret it.

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think what many people overlook when deciding on a home table is the cost of delivery and assembly. And if you end up with something you do not "just love it." You end doubling or more those expenses when you go to change it to something better. So what I would greatly advise is make sure you " just love it." And you would never change it for anything else. Tables last a very long time. Your wanting for something better is the only thing that will make your table old.

GOOD LUCK!

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Golden rules:

1) make sure you have room for the size table you WANT - 6' all sides is ideal.
2) get what you absolutely LOVE and can afford. It will probably be the biggest in-home purchase you'll make
3) get it expertly set up.

K.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
So I have recently moved into a new home and have been looking for a used Diamond table on the west coast with no luck. I can get a new Diamond 7' on order ($5300 delivered) and pay it off after tax/bonus season in the spring. However I was wondering what people thought about the different brand "home" tables that I see all over Craigslist in the mean time (or full time). I see 7', 8', and 9' Olhausen's, Gandy's, Connelly's, Golden West, Brunswick's etc for $1000-$3000. Including some 8' and 9' Gold Crown 1's and 2's. which table brands do you prefer? I guess it depends on the model and what leveling factors they have, rails, etc but wHich brands are Better if not a Diamond?

If a 7ft is the size you want, there is no second choice to a Diamond, it's the best built 7ft on the planet which is why you don't see them for sale used on the market, and if you see one for sale used.....you already missed buying it cause it's already been sold by the time you find out about it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a 7ft is the size you want, there is no second choice to a Diamond, it's the best built 7ft on the planet which is why you don't see them for sale used on the market, and if you see one for sale used.....you already missed buying it cause it's already been sold by the time you find out about it.

They are fun too. Cute little box.

UWPoolGod1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glen, I saw a pic from my friend Minh that you just set up a 9' Diamond at his house. We played in college together.

My room is about 20x14.5 which is why I am thinking 7'. Also a corner fireplace and bookshelf may impede on some shots.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glen, I saw a pic from my friend Minh that you just set up a 9' Diamond at his house. We played in college together.

My room is about 20x14.5 which is why I am thinking 7'. Also a corner fireplace and bookshelf may impede on some shots.

That's a little tight for 9' but if you can get a steal on a GC 1or2 and move it yourself I'd try it. If it's in good condition you'll probably get your money back reselling it

commswatch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gc!!!!!!

I REALLLLY want to write a massive description of what I believe you should do here....It's 2AM, I'm at work, I'm tired, and I'm bored. But today is your lucky day.....I shall spare you the details, reasons and experiences and simply cut to the chase.

Buy the BIGGEST Gosh Darned Gold Crown 1, 2 or 3 that you can fit into your room. If you dont, you'll only be upgrading eventually anyways.

But of course, if you're the Diamond type.....I hear they come with panties and a handkerchief...so there's that to look forward too. (If you MUST go with a 7' bar box...I would actually recommend a Diamond though)...But DON'T!! go 9' Gold Crown all day!

oh...ohhhhh...ahhhhhhhhh........and I'm spent.

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems to me that when choosing a table you should not "settle" for any table that you want. If you do whatever you get will never be what you wanted. It seems like a huge investment at first but after time it will be obvious to you it was money well spent. Do as much research as you can before you buy one. There are many differences between tables even tables of the same make and model can have differences. If your going to go with a Diamond try and find a place that has one in the size your going to order and play a few games on it. If your buying it for a practice table you may want to stick with whatever type of table you are going to be competing on or playing on for competition. Personally, I like my home table to be more challenging then the tables I might play on in public venues.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The location of these obstructions could change everything.

I would tape off the actual playing surface on the floor(Cushion point to cushion point). Then, go around the room with you cue and see if it would work for you.

I agree with Glenn on the 7 footer, Diamond all day. On every other size, I'd stick with a Gold Crown or Diamond.

Table Size....... Actual Playing surface
3.5' x 7'........... 39.5" x 79"
4' x 8'...............44" x 88"
4.25' x 8.5'.......46" x 92"
4.5' x 9'............50" x 100"

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Get a short cue for shots that are obstructed by walls

I have a 10ft billiard table and a 9ft Pool Table in my garage, and found a 40 inch players cue that's actually not terrible for shots where my normal stick hits the wall

Don't get a small table