Best playing cue under $1,000

sgengaro86

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am trying to sell two cues and planning to use a portion for a new playing cue. I was hoping to spend $1,000 or less. I am looking for a very solid, stiff but “softer” hit. Any recommendations? I was thinking McDermott with a CF shaft, or a Pechaeur with a CF shaft. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a fan of Schon if you're going production cue, but it may not match what you're looking for. I actually really like the Cuetec cues if you are going a CF shaft, at least a Cuetec shaft on it that is. I think Jacoby also might be good to look at with a CF shaft.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a gorgeous Scruggs Sneaky Pete on the Forum and it was in your price range.
In fact, there was more than one & you’re far better with a cue from Tim than lots of others.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I am trying to sell two cues and planning to use a portion for a new playing cue. I was hoping to spend $1,000 or less. I am looking for a very solid, stiff but “softer” hit. Any recommendations? I was thinking McDermott with a CF shaft, or a Pechaeur with a CF shaft. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

You might get over 100 differences of opinion on this thread.

My vote for a "production" cue would be a Mezz.

Maniac

linxhack

Registered
There is nothing soft about a Pechauer, but if that’s what you’re looking for I have one for sale here that’s 2 months old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A very solid, stiff but “softer” hit...……

Any nice butt, with a non-steel joint, is all I got off the top of my head.

Mezz with a Wavy joint with an Ex-Pro or Hybrid Pro 2 shaft...….maybe

Last edited:

Idaho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve owned quite a few mid-range priced cues including Sugartree, Olney, and Stacey. The cue I keep going back to is my Troy Downey. Best hitting cue for me and the fit and finish is great. Just my two cents.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
cuetecs got my money for CF. they have a softer and more woody feel than other pingy CG shafts. and they come with an extension. pechauer and McDermott both good, im a big fan of pechauer. ide say try to find some and try them out first.

I would highly recommend you get a Pat Diveney cue. His cues are the best cues I ever had the opportunity to play with, and they do have a soft, but very solid hit to them, in my opinion.

They have an amazing feel to them too, in my opinion. They just feel amazing.

Skyler Woodward used a super nice Diveney for many years, up until he was sponsored by Meucci.

Many other very high level players chose to use a Diveney too.

I can't imagine there are any better hitting cues available for under a $1,000.

You could get a nice Diveney sneaky, with one of his Kielwood shafts, for well under a $1,000.

By the way, I have never hit with a CF shaft, but I can't imagine they have a Soft hit to them.

I would just choose standard maple, if you like a Soft hit.

Last edited:

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Players sneaky pete 75 bucks

Quoted for truth. Or, get a Lucasi SP for around $125.

If you're looking in the custom market, there is no better playing cue sub $1k than a Scruggs SP. If you like STIFF cues, then get a Barnhart player for around the same price as the Scruggs.

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No need to speed close to $1000 for playability.

ANY good production butt will work... <$300 for something fairly nice
Then get a LD good shaft ... which is in the $200 to ~$400 range.

So ~$700 and you've got the best playing setup.

People's preferences will differ, but no need to pay anymore than that for function.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hit as many as you can and go with the one that feels the best. I didn't know a bunch about cues or makers...outside of Meucci and Mcdermott, so I had pretty much a ":blind taste test" a few years ago. I spent a few weeks hitting a dozens of cues at league. Hit Mezz, Shon, Mcdermott, Huebler, Adams, Lucasi...the one I cam back to over and over was the one with the weird name...Pechauer. Just felt right to me. Got 4 now. Bonus was when I found out how customer friendly they are and how much they do to support up and coming players.

Good luck in your search.