Ball in hand

SHORTY WRIGHT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you get on the eight ball from here you are solids and where does the eight ball go ? Thnx

Attachments

• 412E2ED1-6917-4C0E-8C3E-A3A3AC844111.jpg
    412E2ED1-6917-4C0E-8C3E-A3A3AC844111.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 822

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
interesting shot
I think I might leave the cb in the rack
cut the one, go off both long rails
come back natural for the 8 in the side
if I'm short, I got it in the corner

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If BIH from anywhere, then close to the 1 ball, draw back to the side pocket, and put 8 ball, in opposite side pocket.

If BIH from behind the line, then dont try to draw from that distance, use follow off the 1 ball to get into position for the 8.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
It looks to me like the cueball is fine where it is. Shoot the 1 in the corner with just below center, right English, then play the 8 in the right hand side pocket.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty much right where the cue ball is, played with bottom outside spin, coming off the side rail to set up the eight ball in the side. Just making sure you don’t scratch In the side.

A taller player like myself could place the cue ball to the right of the 13 ball just off the right side rail 2+ diamonds from the corner and play the shot with 11 o’clock high outside, coming off the end rail and back up towards the left center of the table for the 8-ball in the side pocket, again just making sure you don’t scratch in the side pocket.

Last edited:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somebody needs to take that rack
off the table or all you guys going
opposite side pocket are going to foul.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
roll don't draw

Pretty much right where the cue ball is, played with bottom outside spin, coming off the side rail to set up the eight ball in the side. Just making sure you don’t scratch In the side.

Hey Chris! This is the right cue ball path but I don't like adding the draw. With a thinner cut angle you can roll the cue ball with outside english and hit right at the 3rd diamond softly. You'll also never scratch because you can't get that long without draw, so you just home in on that 3rd diamond.

I am a big believer in rolling the ball before using draw. Draw opens the door to a decelerating stroke in which you lose your draw and lose the cue ball, or over-hitting it. My accuracy in terms of direction and speed with a rolling ball and outside english will dominate anyone trying to use low outside.

A big part of what I teach is the easiest ways to get from ball to ball, and how to leave yourself nothing but more of those easy angles and transitions. Rolling balls with softer swing speeds, not fundamentals, leads to more accuracy and consistency with cue ball.

These is my approach anyway. Lots of pros draw the ball there. They also play on slick new cloth where it's less likely to lose the cue ball, rather than the gritty cloth most of us live on. Everyone can make their own choice. I like to roll!

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With BIH, I would create a little angle with top left english and put the ball in that corner with the CB coming off the top cushion giving me either the side or corner pocket.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would be careful with the bottom left, you can scratch in the side. I would prefer straight right and come off the left rail about 6" down from the side. This gives you more CB travel within the line of sight for the 8B.

EDIT: If I have the table speed down I would consider either the top right and draw straight back about 18" or the bottom right and follow - both of those would put the 8B in the left side pocket.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
You have ball in hand on the ball before the 8 and the 8 ball has 5 available pockets... am I missing something here?

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Place cb where it shows, shoot 1 in corner and cb back across the table above 10.
Slightly below center on cb.
8 ball in right hand side pocket.
Or place cb behind 1 slight angle, draw straight back.
8 ball in left hand side pocket.
Place cb where it shows, 1 in the corner let cb float across table short of rail.
8 ball right hand corner pocket.
All the above shots are fairly easy with the draw shot being the most difficult for a right handed person.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Being left handed I'd put the CB against the side rail between the 1 and the 13, then draw the CB a foot or so just past the 13 to shoot the 8 in the bottom left corner.

With the CB where it is I'd use a soft stroke and a little low right to do the same thing.

pj <- simple minded
chgo

Here's an easier-to-see pic.

412E2ED1-6917-4C0E-8C3E-A3A3AC844111.jpg

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is this a trick question? there's a 1/2 dozen ways to get out from here.
My guess he screwed up on this situation and it cost him the game, and he just wants to hear some feedback on possibly how he played it wrong or how he could have played it better.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I would shoot the one straight into the far corner with follow and put the eight in the side.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would shoot the one straight into the far corner with follow and put the eight in the side.
I don’t know if you’re joking, but you would never play that shot in that pocket on a tight pocket table when you have ball-in-hand, when the one ball is less than a foot away from one corner pocket and over 8 feet away from the corner pocket you’re suggesting playing it in. Maybe on a bar table, if you are more comfortable with follow than you are with spinning the cue ball.