"... within a couple weeks" - cue refinish frustration

BigAlbert333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone here had a bad / horrible experience with getting their cue refinished whether it be price? Time frame? Horrible work? Etc...

Here's my experience and as of this very day I STILL haven't received my cue.

May 5th price was discussed on refinishing my cue ($220). The cue had a small dent near the butt portion and also a knick on the joint that stuck out like a sore thumb to me. The shaft was absolutely filthy as if it was never cleaned and I wanted a new ferrule since it was beyond cleaning. I was told, "once I receive the cue I should have it to you within a couple weeks"

I had another cue from this cue maker once before and I loved it and regret selling it. I had no choice due to some financial difficulties hence when I got my hands on another one. I wanted it like new again. I thought about sending it to Proficient Billiards but said heck, why not have him refinish it since he built it. Mind you, nothing fancy whatsoever, just a simple great playing 4 point cue!

May 27 cue was delivered. He said he'd start the process May 28th (BTW) refinishing cue payment has already been made before cue landed in his hands.

May 31st Reached out and asked him whenever the cue is finished to send pics and which address to return it to... He said he'd be out of town on Tuesday June 2 for a business matter - so I'm assuming cue probably wasn't even opened or touched.

EIGHT days later, June 10 followed up again and he said he had it screwed down for reseal. He's been tied up with some other project and has been in the shop THREE out of 12 days and will finish the cue asap - really?! 🙄

NINE days later, June 19, followed up by letting him know that I was gonna be on vacation and probably won't be home and wanted an ETA so I can be home to receive cue... His response was,
"Don't know ETA, hard to predict because I have alot of things going on but all he could tell you is that the cue is sanded, stripped, drying and next step is 4 coats, buff and new ferrule as per my request. So it's going slow, give me another 2 weeks..." *sigh*

I go camping July 1st and return July 5th.

SIXTEEN days have now passed and upon my return July 5th from camping again I reach out for an update, expecting my cue to be refinished...

His response, "I'm on vacation and I won't be back until 12th of July ... I still got another coat of finish to put on the cue that's where I'm at with it at it's going to be two more weeks before it's ready to send back to you I'm sorry but I haven't been in the shop doing much work in the last eight or nine days I will message you when I get real close to being done thank you be safe"

Complete utter disappointment! Trying to hold my patience together and not go off, because after all he still has my cue but my response was,

"I understand things happen... If I had known it was gonna take longer than the two weeks you originally told me I would've just kept it and dealt with the minor scuffs and bumps on it or sent it elsewhere to be refinished. At this point I'm not even gonna ask anymore and obviously finish it when you can even if it's months from now. Yes, I'm disappointed but it is what it is. Enjoy your vacation!"

"I'm sorry my friend I will get it finished soon as possible."

How would you feel and what do you say? Would you be disappointed with the time frame and how long this has taken after I was originally told "within a couple of weeks"? I'm so pissed and irritated! 😤

He's had my cue 2 months and 10 days in total since he's received it AND since our last conversation, when he told me he'd be back from vacation to give him two more weeks, well it's been 32 days now.

I'm so pissed, but I can't go off or put him on blast because my cue is still in his hands. I'm so tempted to just literally tell him to return it as is, But I don't know what he says he's done to it is true and what condition it's gonna come back in?!

I seriously needed to vent! 😤 - any suggestions or positive feedback greatly appreciated.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Had plenty of grief with refinishes. I send to Proficient Billiards...pay the price. Always satisfied with no aggravation.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I have three guesses who that is lol

Text him and ask if he is in his shop. Ask for a picture of the cue right now and to send a refund and your cue back if he doesn't send that picture in 60 seconds. I'm guessing he hasn't done a thing yet

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue makers are like contractors. You can take the time estimate and double it.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
One time I was in a cue maker's shop. The phone rang and he said "OK, OK, OK" and hung up. He said the guy dropped his cue off 4 years ago and he couldn't find it. None of the cues I saw move off his repair rack in a year or so that I knew him.

The answer to this problem? Use Scot Sherbine. Scot has done at least 100 cues for me over the years, no problems, no delays.

BigAlbert333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One time I was in a cue maker's shop. The phone rang and he said "OK, OK, OK" and hung up. He said the guy dropped his cue off 4 years ago and he couldn't find it. None of the cues I saw move off his repair rack in a year or so that I knew him.

The answer to this problem? Use Scot Sherbine. Scot has done at least 100 cues for me over the years, no problems, no delays.

Wow! That's crazy... Thank you Tate

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
You also paid upfront so no rush for him to make money since he already has it and used it for his vacation.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear another horror story concerning cue repairs. For me, I use Proficient, Muellers, or some of the independent cue makers that are highly recommended on this site. There is a reason why many building "contractors" and "cue makers" work for themselves- not all of them of course- but so many of these guys just have no ability to function within time limits, schedules, etc. etc. Of course things happen to all of us, but the horror stories among these groups abound.

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
You also paid upfront so no rush for him to make money since he already has it and used it for his vacation.

I'm curious since I know paying up front is a no no, do you have to pay up front with proficient. I'm not sure if I have ever heard a bad thing about Scott Sherbine.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
I'm curious since I know paying up front is a no no, do you have to pay up front with proficient. I'm not sure if I have ever heard a bad thing about Scott Sherbine.

Yes, they send an invoice after receiving the cue and confirming the cost.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think every cue repair is paid upfront! Unless you are standing there while the person repairs your cue - and even then your not getting your cue back until you pay for a satisfied repair. Only cue building is usually partial payments as it is being built.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone here had a bad / horrible experience with getting their cue refinished whether it be price? Time frame? Horrible work? Etc...

A better question would be:

"Has anyone here NOT had a bad / horrible experience with getting their cue refinished whether it be price? Time frame? Horrible work?"

Pool players and cue collectors are reluctant to post anything negative about cue makers as the person or people relating bad experiences are usually crucified by personal friends of the cue maker.

Even the most notoriously bad cue makers have their defenders.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the OP, that is standard cuemaker time. If what the cuemaker said about the progress of your cue is true, then you are in good shape. On the other hand, hopefully he is not lying through his teeth and maybe he didn’t even unpack it.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

"Has anyone here NOT had a bad / horrible experience with getting their cue refinished whether it be price? Time frame? Horrible work?"

Pool players and cue collectors are reluctant to post anything negative about cue makers as the person or people relating bad experiences are usually crucified by personal friends of the cue maker.

This is a great point Jay. Anyone who has worked with more than a few cuemakers, have dealt with this behavior.

Of the cuemakers I have dealt with, 2 have delivered as quoted and had great communication. Pete Tascarella and Jerry R.

Ian

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

Here's my experience and as of this very day I STILL haven't received my cue.

May 5th price was discussed on refinishing my cue ($220). The cue had a small dent near the butt portion and also a knick on the joint that stuck out like a sore thumb to me. The shaft was absolutely filthy as if it was never cleaned and I wanted a new ferrule since it was beyond cleaning. I was told, "once I receive the cue I should have it to you within a couple weeks"

I had another cue from this cue maker once before and I loved it and regret selling it. I had no choice due to some financial difficulties hence when I got my hands on another one. I wanted it like new again. I thought about sending it to Proficient Billiards but said heck, why not have him refinish it since he built it. Mind you, nothing fancy whatsoever, just a simple great playing 4 point cue!

May 27 cue was delivered. He said he'd start the process May 28th (BTW) refinishing cue payment has already been made before cue landed in his hands.

May 31st Reached out and asked him whenever the cue is finished to send pics and which address to return it to... He said he'd be out of town on Tuesday June 2 for a business matter - so I'm assuming cue probably wasn't even opened or touched.

EIGHT days later, June 10 followed up again and he said he had it screwed down for reseal. He's been tied up with some other project and has been in the shop THREE out of 12 days and will finish the cue asap - really?! 🙄

NINE days later, June 19, followed up by letting him know that I was gonna be on vacation and probably won't be home and wanted an ETA so I can be home to receive cue... His response was,
"Don't know ETA, hard to predict because I have alot of things going on but all he could tell you is that the cue is sanded, stripped, drying and next step is 4 coats, buff and new ferrule as per my request. So it's going slow, give me another 2 weeks..." *sigh*

I go camping July 1st and return July 5th.

SIXTEEN days have now passed and upon my return July 5th from camping again I reach out for an update, expecting my cue to be refinished...

His response, "I'm on vacation and I won't be back until 12th of July ... I still got another coat of finish to put on the cue that's where I'm at with it at it's going to be two more weeks before it's ready to send back to you I'm sorry but I haven't been in the shop doing much work in the last eight or nine days I will message you when I get real close to being done thank you be safe"

Complete utter disappointment! Trying to hold my patience together and not go off, because after all he still has my cue but my response was,

"I understand things happen... If I had known it was gonna take longer than the two weeks you originally told me I would've just kept it and dealt with the minor scuffs and bumps on it or sent it elsewhere to be refinished. At this point I'm not even gonna ask anymore and obviously finish it when you can even if it's months from now. Yes, I'm disappointed but it is what it is. Enjoy your vacation!"

"I'm sorry my friend I will get it finished soon as possible."

How would you feel and what do you say? Would you be disappointed with the time frame and how long this has taken after I was originally told "within a couple of weeks"? I'm so pissed and irritated! 😤

He's had my cue 2 months and 10 days in total since he's received it AND since our last conversation, when he told me he'd be back from vacation to give him two more weeks, well it's been 32 days now.

I'm so pissed, but I can't go off or put him on blast because my cue is still in his hands. I'm so tempted to just literally tell him to return it as is, But I don't know what he says he's done to it is true and what condition it's gonna come back in?!

I seriously needed to vent! 😤 - any suggestions or positive feedback greatly appreciated.

I would ask him what he feels is a fair price for the work completed so far, if you can both come to terms on price ask him to send a refund for the balance and return the cue unfinished because you will find someone else to handle it in a timely manner. I can understand the issue on both sides, I do custom metal fabricating. I get customers who start getting irritated when building a car for them goes 25% longer than estimated yet they forget that they asked me to make changes, they add extra work, and forget that sometimes we need to wait for parts and materials. Sometimes life happens too but it sounds like this guy 4 times longer than estimated at this point.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

I am very happy with the refinish on my cue!!!!

I had my D19 McDermott refinished by McDermott and I was extremely happy with the quick turn around and the quality of the work. They had it for 2-3 weeks, refinished it, fixed some dents and nicks, re-wrapped the cue and made a new shaft with matching ring work. The only thing I am not impressed with with is getting a second shaft made. They said they need the butt for a week or 2 and I really dont want to give it up for that long. I offered to give them the original shaft that they made for the cue which has the proper ring work and dimensions. I understand they may need the butt for final fitting and since I am local to them (I work less than 10 minutes away) I would happily drop the butt off for a few days (within the hour) when they are ready for it but they said that this is not possible.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
This is a great point Jay. Anyone who has worked with more than a few cuemakers, have dealt with this behavior.

Of the cuemakers I have dealt with, 2 have delivered as quoted and had great communication. Pete Tascarella and Jerry R.

Ian

+1 for Pete Tascarella. He delivered my cue ahead of schedule. I sent him a shaft for some minor work a few weeks ago and I had it back in a matter of days.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the OP, that is standard cuemaker time. If what the cuemaker said about the progress of your cue is true, then you are in good shape.

I disagree. If he was quoted two weeks and it's now more than two months, he's hardly "in good shape".

BigAlbert333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ian

I would ask him what he feels is a fair price for the work completed so far, if you can both come to terms on price ask him to send a refund for the balance and return the cue unfinished because you will find someone else to handle it in a timely manner. I can understand the issue on both sides, I do custom metal fabricating. I get customers who start getting irritated when building a car for them goes 25% longer than estimated yet they forget that they asked me to make changes, they add extra work, and forget that sometimes we need to wait for parts and materials. Sometimes life happens too but it sounds like this guy 4 times longer than estimated at this point.

I really like your point of view. I appreciate everyone's feedback. Thank you... +1 on Jerry R. Makes a great cue! Another cue I regret parting with.

TheCutShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Schon SL 7 that I purchased in 1989 or 1990 that after several years I had to send back to Schon for a Refinish and ReWrap as it had gotten a couple of good scratches in the Finish. I got it back from them within 2 - 3 weeks all nice shiny and new looking. Paid upon Receipt!!

In 2000 I had Evan Clark make me a Custom STL 15 (I got to choose the wood he was going to use to make the forearm from photos he sent me & had a leather wrap put on it back before Schon offered leather wraps routinely) He wanted no money up front and I paid for it in full upon delivery! Of course I don't know what dealing with Schon nowadays would be like since Evan Clark has retired.