Help! with possible butt warp problem

fbass4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a possible problem, one of my favorite cues , seems to be warped. When I place it on a flat surface, the nose end of the butt does not lay flat, at some points the nose touches, then at other points its a 8th" off the surface. when sighted down the butt, it appears to be straight. Is it possible the wrap or the rings may not be cocentric to the butt? please help a newbie out. this is really bothering me when I know it may be warped

Jack Flanagan

P. T. Barnum was right !
Silver Member
(1) have you left the cue in your car in the hot or cold
(2) have you stored your cue near a heating device
(3) is the cue an Adam (only sticks I've had to warp were this brand)

Cuedog

CUE BALL INCOMING!!!
Silver Member
Try placing the butt with approximately 2/3 of it on the bed of the table, and the other 1/3 sitting on the rail with the joint end extended off the table. (I hope that's clear) Roll the cue now as you would if it were flat on the bed of the table.

Doing this will effectively give you an opportunity to place the cue further up or down along the wrap area while rolling it again. During each roll, check to see if the joint area is wobbling or not. If you see a wobble, try a different rail or even a different table just to be sure it's the stick and not that particular rail. Hope that helps.

Gene

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fbass4u said:
I have a possible problem, one of my favorite cues , seems to be warped. When I place it on a flat surface, the nose end of the butt does not lay flat, at some points the nose touches, then at other points its a 8th" off the surface. when sighted down the butt, it appears to be straight. Is it possible the wrap or the rings may not be cocentric to the butt? please help a newbie out. this is really bothering me when I know it may be warped

If it looks straight, it probably is straight.
From your description, it sounds like the cue is:
a. not round
b. not concentric
c. rings, etc sticking out
d. all of the above

try sighting down the cue with the shaft screwed on, if you haven't already.
if the butt is warped, it should be obvious

the best way to tell, would be to put it in a lathe and spin it,
if that is an option

FWIW - this is a good example of why rolling cues is a waste of time

Dale

Last edited:

Cuedog

CUE BALL INCOMING!!!
Silver Member
I find rolling cues a waste of time if you are rolling it on the bed of a table. By using the method I mentioned previously, the benefits, with all do respect, far outweigh trying to see a minor warp by "sighting down" a cue.

The sighting method has proven to be very effective for those with a trained eye, but most cannot tell if a cue is warped by simply sighting down it. For most, that's just about as effective as selecting a new car based on how the tires feel when kicked.

Although I agree with spinning it on a lathe, if one is available to you, even using that method has variables that come into place if not done by a conscientious operator.

Gene

fbass4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for your help guys, I will try to spin it in a lathe tomorrow at work, If in fact it does not show warpage on the lathe, and the wrap or rings are the cause of the wobbles I'm seeing. Would you consider this a defective cue from the builder? This is a custom made cue, not a production cue. I know it's been said that rolling is not a true test, but my other cues roll true across the table, and if I try to sell the cue one day and the person rolls the cue and it wobbles like it does, that person may say I'm selling them a bad cue.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuedog said:
I find rolling cues a waste of time if you are rolling it on the bed of a table. By using the method I mentioned previously, the benefits, with all do respect, far outweigh trying to see a minor warp by "sighting down" a cue.

The sighting method has proven to be very effective for those with a trained eye, but most cannot tell if a cue is warped by simply sighting down it. For most, that's just about as effective as selecting a new car based on how the tires feel when kicked.

Although I agree with spinning it on a lathe, if one is available to you, even using that method has variables that come into place if not done by a conscientious operator.

Gene

Trained eye?

OK I know you guys just LOVE to roll cues, but you are kidding yourself
if you think it tells you if a cue is warped. I don.t care if it is on the bed,
the rail, the lights, or the wall. there are several things
that will make a cue wobble, or at least seem to, regardless of
where it is rolled, some are true problems, some are not.
Being warped is only one of them

BTW _ where, exactly, are all these people who can't see a warp by sighting down a cue?

I'll give a reward of a free cue to the first one you can find.

Dale

fbass4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
got my answer

just got news from cue maker, that the cue is straight from his point of view, but that still does not explain why the cue wobbles up and down at the joint section of the cue, It was told to me that it is the 3 different tappers that the cue has. well I hope that really is the case.

Cuedog

CUE BALL INCOMING!!!
Silver Member
pdcue said:
Trained eye?

BTW _ where, exactly, are all these people who can't see a warp by sighting down a cue?

Dale
This was a very generous offer by you Dale. Here is a link to a few people that have indicated that they cannot sight down a cue and tell if it is warped or not. I'll let you select the winner of the FREE cue you referred to above.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=54273

Just the advertisement of you stepping up and delivering will be worth the cost of the cue.

Gene

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pdcue said:
Trained eye?

Dale

I can't. I prefer a 19.5 oz, joint and wood material of your choice. pm me for my address.

cutter

Steve Klein Custom Cues
Silver Member
Help!

Guess I was asleep in class when they discussed straight. If it's chucked up and indicatedand it doesn't run true the whole length of the cue, then it's either not straight or not concentric. Either one shouldn't happen.
I don't care if it has thirteen tapers, they should be concentric around the true center datum line. If so it will roll correctly. If not it will flop like a fish on shore. Sounds like alot of covering up to me. With my lathe running I can't see .003 runout. Only the indicator can, so I guess I'll have trouble seeing that over 29 inches of the butt sighting down it. Could probably win alot of bar bets with two cues, one straight and one with .005 warp. Pick the striaght one for a beer.