price for new cue? opions?

fbass4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking for opinions from you az-ers on a new cue, I'm looking to have a new cue built with six points with the birdseye in the points and butt, an ebony nose, with an amboyna burl segmented handle, with fancy ring work. Now the problem is what should I expect to pay from say a builder that's fairly new, say less than 5 years building cues. I know it can vary from builder to builder, but just on the average what would you guys say? I'm kind of new to the forum, and just need a little help before I make a decision. Also its been said here on the board that the market is soft, does that also change the pricing of new cues as well? since cues are not selling that fast? Thanks for any insight.

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fbass4u said:
I'm looking for opinions from you az-ers on a new cue, I'm looking to have a new cue built with six points with the birdseye in the points and butt, an ebony nose, with an amboyna burl segmented handle, with fancy ring work. Now the problem is what should I expect to pay from say a builder that's fairly new, say less than 5 years building cues. I know it can vary from builder to builder, but just on the average what would you guys say? I'm kind of new to the forum, and just need a little help before I make a decision. Also its been said here on the board that the market is soft, does that also change the pricing of new cues as well? since cues are not selling that fast? Thanks for any insight.

I would charge $750 for this Q, but the Amboina has to be cored & in my opinion cracks easily. That's for no vaneers & no inlays...JER

fbass4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was hoping to get a few opions, 100 views and only 1 post. I need a little advice.

Chris Byrne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might help if you draw a picture of what you want. What type of rings are you referring to? For the cue you described I would be in the $800 - 1000 range depending on the rings. Also without inlays. If you are looking for a newer guy I would expect to pay around $400 - 800 but who knows, everyone has diffrent prices. I would advise you look at the quality of the work more than the price. Who cares if you saved a few bucks when buying a cue, If it has flaws it will be hard to sell and will bug you the whole time you own it. I am not saying a guy with 5 yrs expirance can't make a fine cue. I am just saying shop for quality not price. Just my 2 cents Chris.

Zims Rack

Promoting the Cueing Arts
Silver Member
I've been building cues less than 5 years, I would charge around $700 depending on what "fancy" ringwork you're talking. I have a price guide using MSExcel that I go by and that gets me the retail price.
Thanks,
Zim

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fbass4u said:

Depending on rings, number of shafts, how nice of Birdseye, half splice or flat bottomed points and such I would charge between 7 to 1,100.00.

I have not found the market soft in the least. It may be for high end cues 2500.00 and up but I'm as busy now as I've ever been.

Dick

HIRUN526

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fbass4u said:

I'm not clear on your focus on the 5 year mark...You can inspect a cue by a cuemaker that has been cuemaking for 3 years and the work is so good it looks like he has been building cues for many years,,,,,, then on the other hand you can inspect a cue that has been built by a "veteran" and it looks like a beginner.

The most important criteria for you cue selection of a custom cuemaker is to inspect and play with cues from various cuemakers and speak to them and ask a lot of questions. Explain to the cuemakers your budget and your design ideas.

The soft market is irrelavent....the market is soft for some cuemakers and not so for others, it's solely depends on the cuemaker and his reputation and talent.

If you are looking to spend money on a custom cue to play with don't worry about the "soft market", have whatever cuemaker you select build your cue and enjoy it.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Get the blank made by Prather.
Then have them make the cue.
I don't think you'd get a better price from anyone.

fbass4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the coments on the subject, I'm sorry I was not as clear as I needed to be. I was looking to have a cue made by a builder that qouted me a price of 1400 dollars for about the same cue a I used as an example, then I seen one of his cues sell for about half of the purchase price and I got a little scared. I think if I purchase say a 1500 dollar cue and a month later I decide its not for me, that I should loose half the price I paid for the cue. Thats why I question what a similar cue would cost to have built, maybe the price may have been to high from the start. I'm new to buying cues and not all that familiar with the pricing that goes with them, so I thought I ask from a more knowledgable audience. Thanks for any help you may have on the subject, I'm just trying to learn the right way without wasting to much money.

bob_bushka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think 4 reputable cuemakers gave you solid advice here. Maybe you should PM one of them and get the build started. Just my nickel!

cutter

Steve Klein Custom Cues
Silver Member
price for new cue

fbass4u said:
Thanks for the coments on the subject, I'm sorry I was not as clear as I needed to be. I was looking to have a cue made by a builder that qouted me a price of 1400 dollars for about the same cue a I used as an example, then I seen one of his cues sell for about half of the purchase price and I got a little scared. I think if I purchase say a 1500 dollar cue and a month later I decide its not for me, that I should loose half the price I paid for the cue. Thats why I question what a similar cue would cost to have built, maybe the price may have been to high from the start. I'm new to buying cues and not all that familiar with the pricing that goes with them, so I thought I ask from a more knowledgable audience. Thanks for any help you may have on the subject, I'm just trying to learn the right way without wasting to much money.

You bring up a good point. What is the value of a cue on the secondary market. Maybe the design of the cue that sold for half price was customer driven and not a popular style. Maybe the seller was hurting for cash and dumped it. How well known was the cuemaker. The cruel hard fact is that cuemaking success is based on reputation and name recognition. A cue is only worth what someone will pay for it. You are smart to check prices and ask questions.

tpdtom

Really Old School
Silver Member
I recently bought a cue made by Steve Klein (post above) from a dealer at a sale price which was 20% off. I then sent it to Steve, via the dealer, for a custom maple band ala Southwest style to be added. I also had him change the wrap to leather. He made me two Ultra-Premium shafts at my request. At a glance, this 6 point, 4 veneer cue, with 3 Purpleheart points and three Gaboon Ebony points, a 3/8 X 11 brass pin, and fancy ringwork at 5 positions looks like a top drawer SouthWest. I got a very good deal, buying it on sale and then having the dealer arrange for the custom work, but I think that Steve's work is quite reasonable anyway. There is no amboyna in this cue, but it's beautiful and has a monster hit. I don't have any pics since the work was done, and the overall impression has been changed, but Steve may have a picture.

My point in relating all this was first of all to recommend Steve Klein as a cuemaker. Secondly, I'd like you to benefit from my experience of buying about 12 cues since February. You need to play with a cue, made the way you plan to order it, and to be sure that you'll like it's combination of properties and features. I've been unpleasantly surprised a few times and you WILL lose money in most cases on the used market. The new market is fine for some good cuemakers, but the used market is definitely a little soft, and you'd probably have to cut the price of a new cue by 20% to sell it quickly, unless it was by a very desireable/in demand cuemaker. I'm kinda new to all this, but this has been my experience just this year. Good luck...Tom

cutter

Steve Klein Custom Cues
Silver Member
Tom
Thanks for the kind words. Glad we were able to make it all work out.
Unfortuneately I didn't take any pics while the cue was back here.
Steve

tpdtom

Really Old School
Silver Member
cutter said:
Tom
Thanks for the kind words. Glad we were able to make it all work out.
Unfortuneately I didn't take any pics while the cue was back here.
Steve

I'm trying to get my camera online in the next few days Steve. When I do I'm going to photograph your cue too. If I get a pic that does it justice I'll put it here. Sure is a nice cue. Everyone at "Hall of Fame" in Warren, Michigan likes it. Thanks again...Tom

P.S. I'm amazed that you or Roy didn't photograph it. I thought that you'd add it to your regular line up.

patrickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fbass4u said:
This cue will run you right at 850.00
I am Doug Patrick. Patrick Custom Cues.

I will gladly build you a cue like what you are talking about ebony with birdseye points and matching butt sleeve and I can also put a couple of veneers in there. The ebony and the Amboynia will both be cored. I will put ring work throughout the cue. It will come with 2 shafts also. If you would like to see some of my work check out my website.
patrickcustomcues.com

thanks
Doug Patrick