Question on balls

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Bob is making a pretty extreme claim when he says: " ...I think you have to test every ball in a set at this point." ...
It's not hard to do the check, and if I had to play with them in an important game, I'd seriously consider the test. I have a three ball I think you would find amusing.;)

It was not every ball, and that was part of the problem. Maybe they're better than they were. Neither one of us knows for sure.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not hard to do the check, and if I had to play with them in an important game, I'd seriously consider the test. I have a three ball I think you would find amusing.;)

It was not every ball, and that was part of the problem. Maybe they're better than they were. Neither one of us knows for sure.

Baloney.

I have played in *many* major tournaments using Cyclop balls -- US Opens and DCCs, moving from table/match to table/match -- AND I have owned three different sets of them -- TV, traditional colors, and Hyperion -- and have never found what you are describing. It would never cross my mind to be testing every ball in a set and I think you are way off base on this.

Cyclop play beautifully and stay cleaner longer than Aramiths.

What is your evidence, Bob?

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The big issue with Cyclop balls when they came out was the cue ball, more accurately the logo on the ball. It stood proud of the surface.

When this was first going on, I went to the local brick and mortar and checked a bunch of cueballs myself. Rolling them on a glass case/counter, making sure they rolled over the logo made the issue abundantly clear. Every ball tested hopped/jumped a bit when it rolled over the logo.

49714060548_0fbf66b2bb_c.jpg

With reports from all over, and me testing a box of replacement balls, I would say the issue was big. Especially considering the way they fixed the issue was to make the single measle ball.

Speaking of consistency, here is 12 out of that box that all had a slightly different color to them. If the batch cant even be made the same chemically, you think the surface shape etc would be consistent? I doubt it.

And before someone says that its just my opinion, nsafellow from the forum was the guy working there, and conducted the testing with me.

Michael Fedak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Disagree with jewett (OMG !!)

Agree with other posters that this seems to be a flimsy attack by Jewett on the CURRENT Cyclops product without much knowledgeable evidence behind it.

I have had 3 generations of Cyclops and the current Hyperion sets are fabulous.
I started buying the "new" Duramith Pro Tournaments after their debut in 2011, donated several sets to clubs and rec rooms, and those earlier sets are already badly showing their age.
The new Cyclops play great at a very stable 169 grams per ball and, yes, they really do stay, and play, clean much longer.

Weigh the vaunted Duramith Pro Tournaments on a lab scale, Big Bob, and you'll see a lot of variation from 167 to 168 grams.

For the rest of you, be careful using a Cyclops cue ball with a Centennial or Duramith ball set - you may get some decreased draw between sets. Cue balls SHOULD be matched to their sets, IMHO.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Agree with other posters that this seems to be a flimsy attack by Jewett on the CURRENT Cyclops product without much knowledgeable evidence behind it.
I'm just telling people to be careful. I think based on past experience -- and evidence -- that care is warranted. It is a problem that never should have occurred if the company had adequate quality control and product testing. Maybe all of that has been fixed. Neither one of us really knows.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The big issue with Cyclop balls when they came out was the cue ball, more accurately the logo on the ball. It stood proud of the surface.

When this was first going on, I went to the local brick and mortar and checked a bunch of cueballs myself. Rolling them on a glass case/counter, making sure they rolled over the logo made the issue abundantly clear. Every ball tested hopped/jumped a bit when it rolled over the logo.

With reports from all over, and me testing a box of replacement balls, I would say the issue was big. Especially considering the way they fixed the issue was to make the single measle ball.

Speaking of consistency, here is 12 out of that box that all had a slightly different color to them. If the batch cant even be made the same chemically, you think the surface shape etc would be consistent? I doubt it.

And before someone says that its just my opinion, nsafellow from the forum was the guy working there, and conducted the testing with me.

Yes, there were problems with some of the original Cyclop eye CBs.

But there are almost inevitably problems with the rollout of new product (Red label Diamonds anyone?). I don't believe anyone has reported problems with the big zit Cyclop CB, nor the circle and rectangles Cyclop CB, nor the circle and diamond Cyclop CB.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just telling people to be careful. I think based on past experience -- and evidence -- that care is warranted. It is a problem that never should have occurred if the company had adequate quality control and product testing. Maybe all of that has been fixed. Neither one of us really knows.

Thousands upon thousands of matches at the DCC alone shows that you are way out on a limb with very limited evidence for what you suggested.

Lou Figueroa

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I have no idea if it is normal or not but my Cyclop TV balls stained the original box tray with an imprint (numbers easily visible) of each ball.

I think they are fine balls but the colors are not really an improvement for casual play at home.
1f794bd2642c77ff17a49be9173d0f68.jpg

Sent from the future.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Centennials, Aramith Tourneys, Cyclop Hyperions.

Really can't go wrong with any of those.

I have all 3 of these sets and I cant honestly cant say that 1 is better than the other. My Cyclops set even has the original cue ball with the eyeball on it and I have had no funny rolls whatsoever.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

If we are going judge by color then the Aramith red circle is not much better, I have 6 of them and Im not sure 2 are exactly the same shade.

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator Balls

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Predator balls. After watching the Diamond Las Vegas Open I thought they were really nice looking. I even considered buying them even though my Duramith balls are only 18 months old.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Predator balls. After watching the Diamond Las Vegas Open I thought they were really nice looking. I even considered buying them even though my Duramith balls are only 18 months old.

The Predator Arcos II balls (made by Saluc/Aramith) have been used in a couple of tournaments, but are not available to the public yet. The target stated on Predator's website is summer 2020.

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Predator Arcos II balls (made by Saluc/Aramith) have been used in a couple of tournaments, but are not available to the public yet. The target stated on Predator's website is summer 2020.[/QUO

That explains why no one mentioned them. :)
Thanks

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Predator Arcos II balls (made by Saluc/Aramith) have been used in a couple of tournaments, but are not available to the public yet. The target stated on Predator's website is summer 2020.
Just what we need – another set of balls to choose from.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They must have switched manuf. again. The originals were made in Korea and the 2's were to be made by Cyclop. Good to know.

Last edited: