Congratulations to George Fels!

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
I got the latest edition of Billiard's Digest (Sept 2010) and when I saw the cover, I thought to myself "Gee, that's what George Fels would look like if he colored his beard." :)D) Then, lo & behold, I realized that WAS George!
And, by George, his beard does look a little 'lighter" ;)

All kidding aside, how great it is to see one of pooldom's all time best writers get some special recognition! When I get my Billiards Digest, I always turn to the back to see George's article first, then I look for anything that Mike Gefner has written. And thinking of all those great stories and tales of players and happenings in pool that George has regaled us with over the years, I was so happy to see that BD gave him a feature article as well as the above mentioned cover shot.

George, I have to share something with you. After I "processed" that the photo was really you, I instantly, for some strange reason, thought back to the story you penned in the October 1997 issue of BD. It was entitled "Geezerball"! :)))

I once emailed George to thank him for writing "Johnny, marching home", which was about Johnny Ervolino. George thanked me and said "The only other one who really liked that story was Johnny himself." But George even topped himself in the Sept 2000 issue with "Jack and John", which was about Johnny Ervolino visiting the grave of Jersey Red. What a revealing and touching story! But my personal all time single favorite Tips & Shafts was the one entitled "One for Dan's fans." It was about Billy Incardona, one of my all time favorite players-pool personalities and Danny DiLiberto, another all time great. What a great collection of anecdotes!

George, I have read your articles in BD going back to "Stretch that shoulder" in the Sept / Oct 1980 issue. 30+ years of articles, times 12 = around 360 articles you've written. I disagreed with only one of them. It was "Enough" in the Dec 1999 issue. (I'm a big Earl Strickland fan)
And even that one was well reasoned out and you made some very good points.

So, Mr Fels, I want to respectfully and gratefully thank you for the literally hundreds of times over the last 30+ years that you have enlightened, informed and entertained us with your particular style of writing! I wish you many years of good health, happiness and inspiration for future articles! You've contributed lots to pooldom over the years, and we want you to know that you are very appreciated! Thank you George!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing the info about BD and George Fell. There is a wealth of knowledge there at BD for sure. :)

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got the latest edition of Billiard's Digest (Sept 2010) and when I saw the cover, I thought to myself "Gee, that's what George Fels would look like if he colored his beard." :)D) Then, lo & behold, I realized that WAS George!
And, by George, his beard does look a little 'lighter" ;)

All kidding aside, how great it is to see one of pooldom's all time best writers get some special recognition! When I get my Billiards Digest, I always turn to the back to see George's article first, then I look for anything that Mike Gefner has written. And thinking of all those great stories and tales of players and happenings in pool that George has regaled us with over the years, I was so happy to see that BD gave him a feature article as well as the above mentioned cover shot.

George, I have to share something with you. After I "processed" that the photo was really you, I instantly, for some strange reason, thought back to the story you penned in the October 1997 issue of BD. It was entitled "Geezerball"! :)))

I once emailed George to thank him for writing "Johnny, marching home", which was about Johnny Ervolino. George thanked me and said "The only other one who really liked that story was Johnny himself." But George even topped himself in the Sept 2000 issue with "Jack and John", which was about Johnny Ervolino visiting the grave of Jersey Red. What a revealing and touching story! But my personal all time single favorite Tips & Shafts was the one entitled "One for Dan's fans." It was about Billy Incardona, one of my all time favorite players-pool personalities and Danny DiLiberto, another all time great. What a great collection of anecdotes!

George, I have read your articles in BD going back to "Stretch that shoulder" in the Sept / Oct 1980 issue. 30+ years of articles, times 12 = around 360 articles you've written. I disagreed with only one of them. It was "Enough" in the Dec 1999 issue. (I'm a big Earl Strickland fan)
And even that one was well reasoned out and you made some very good points.

So, Mr Fels, I want to respectfully and gratefully thank you for the literally hundreds of times over the last 30+ years that you have enlightened, informed and entertained us with your particular style of writing! I wish you many years of good health, happiness and inspiration for future articles! You've contributed lots to pooldom over the years, and we want you to know that you are very appreciated! Thank you George!

Very nicely said, Terry. And congratulations and thanks to you, Mr. Fels.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
I, too, turn to the last page FIRST when I get my monthly edition of Billiards Digest. In fact, if Mr. Fels stopped his contributions,

If it weren't for the collective contributions of these fine writers;

Mr. Gefner's stories and the occasional contribution of R.A. Deyer are the other gems in that rag.

Colums by Bob Jewett and Mike Shamos,

I would be hard pressed to continue my subscription.

All the tourny news is OLD and the instructional series isn't as exciting as it use to be.
So I look forward to the reading of pools history and the stories behind the history.

Thanks George. You've provided a 30 year span of great reading. Laughs, tears and huge smiles.

Tom

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
George is certainly a great asset to Billiards Digest and to the entire pool community. I hope he continues to write for another 30 years!

Thanks for the thread to honor George. He certainly deserves it.

Regards,
Dave

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
That's funny - I also start at the last page with George's articles. Time to check the mailbox!

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Start with George first?

Of course I do. I go right to the back and knock out George's column before I dare read anything else.
I've said it before and will say again, George is the Red Smith of pool writers. (Really old people know who I am referring to. George knows who he is for sure)
Several of Geo's columns decorate the walls of my game room.

Beard

I can honestly say all that without a shred of any personal bias, even tho Geo and I have been pals for almost 50 yrs. Yeah sure.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mastering pool is one of the 2 books on pool that i really enjoyed,
Congrats to George

call me if you get the tine and read this

Dean Campbell 214 477 7323

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His book "Mastering Pool" is what got me going on the right path many years ago.

Thanks George!

I wrote to George care of The National Billiard News about "Mastering Pool" because he had published a few excerpts in the paper. Low and behold, when the book was published he sent me a copy!!
I don't have the BD with him on the cover yet but according to PoolDawg, I should get it in the mail soon. I did read the 30 Tips on BDs' web page.
Also, if anyone is still interested, pm me an email and I will gladly forward you a copy of Georges' article 101 Tips to Improve Your Game from the February, 1991 Billiards Digest. For those who may be concerned, yes, I've had permission from the magazine to do so.
George is the best!!

Last edited:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
100 % agree!

I don t know how often i quoted George Fels in my life...countless- and i m sure i didn t quote him enough^^
He s still the author of the greatest book ever written. The style of writing he used in Mastering Pool was amazing- next to his unbelievable knowledge he s also able to entertain this way. Without him i would never have found my way to pool!

I havent got the pleasure to meet him, like Fat -_- :)
But just a very nice personal message from him made me so happy and feel like a young-gun again.....

So George,if you read these postings here- Thanks again!

lg from overseas,

Ingo

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
George Fels has been one of my heroes for years. Like many of you, whenever I get a Billiards Digest magazine, I turn right to the back page to read his column. I consider him one of the finest, if not the finest, writers in the world of pool. Whenever his name comes up in conversation, I always say that he is a friend of mine, but I may be over reaching here since I have only shared a few meals with him through the years.

A few years ago I held a little raffle associated with the purchase of a DVD containing old pool pics. If you bought the DVD, your name went into the hat and you had a chance to win a steak dinner at Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse in Louisville (during DCC week). To sweeten the deal, you not only got a meal, but your dinner companions would include Jay Helfert and George Fels. I screwed up the raffle and ended up having to pay the bill for TWO winners, but that’s another story.

George and Jay made great conversation at the dinner and it was a memorable evening. I probably posted a photo or two of the dinner. The next day I saw George and told him that any time the two of us were at DCC, it would be dinner on me. So I have shared several pleasant meals with George and hope to share more in the years to come. George, if you’re reading this, are we on for the next DCC? :smile:

George Fels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many thanks to you all...

...I wouldn't have worked nearly as hard at those columns as I did if I didn't think people like you were out there reading them. And yes, Bill, I should be at the DCC, probably when the 1-P is being played. GF

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Love your writing George!

Loved the lesson I took from you.

Loved talking with you at Red Shoes.

You have improved the quality of my life.

Reactions: JAM

Brian in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm getting ready to start a new job on Monday and one of the benefits is traveling to various parts of the country including Chicago. A number of years ago I had a PM thread with George and he graciously offered to play the next time I get up that way. I'm finally going to do be up in his neck of the woods and I'm hoping he remembers!

It's good to know that there are many more like me who look forward to his column in BD every month. He has singlehandedly written more great stuff about this game than anyone!

Congrats George! Well deserved!

Brian in VA

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the yrs. of writing!!

I met George at the Derby City Classic. 2007 When he was having his cue work done. I think the 1 ball 1 pocket game is a winner!! I see how it will teach you to fight more for the win!! I have read every BD since the beginning. I too, will sometimes flip to the back if nothing interests me,from the front cover. Keep playing and writing my friend!! mark